JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Since I bought my first Desert Eagle I have been enjoying watching the fire rings that form after most every shot. It helps if its a cloudy day so they show up better. It happens very quickly so I have to take video of the shot and then go back and pull out the video frame that shows the ring.

You can read about how they form here:
Vortex ring - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And Physics Girl has a good discussion using water to show how the vortex forms:

If you have any pictures or videos that show toroidal vortex please post them!

Madeline fire ring 2.png Madeline fire ring.png Cameron fire ring.png Scott fire ring.png Cameron Fireball.png

It's fast. Use video and later clip a frame of it to get the picture. You could try all day to get a still with a camera and you'd be lucky to get a good image!

Wow that's awesome! I never knew that happened- I'm going to start paying more attention to the fireball when I shoot now, hopefully I'll see the ring. Does this happen every time there's a muzzle flash?

I used to get a serious fire ring with every shot from my 2.5" model 19 S&W, .357. Especially with hot loads, which is about all I ever fired in it!:D In any kind of darkness, dusk till dawn, I got a massive fire ring and foot wide flame fronts on both sides of the cylinder gap. Fourth of July with every round! Wish I had photos!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top