JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Over twenty-five years ago my friends dad built me a gun rack in his modern western style. I asked that it be like the rack seen on the Bonanza TV show. A place where you could grab a rifle and a box of shells on the way out of the door. He made it a self stander since a rack for scoped rifles would be too large to hang. I reasoned that I would only need a total of seven spots on the rack to cover my sporting needs. These needs were hunting big game and varmints. After ,purchasing three rifles this year I am in a bind. There are two defensive long guns that are excluded but now a single rifle is left with no place of permanent residence. You all will tell me I need a safe and I will agree. So must the old rack go to a new home ? Or should I give one rimfire the chop ? This plan makes no sense since I still want a semi auto .308 which will once again upset this balance. So far the only work around seems to be leaving one rifle on the gun cleaning rack perpetually. Or cased up for a theoretical outing. Then there is the mixed up left vs right bolt handle problem.

I have an oak wall hanger for four with two shelves if you want it. I made it years ago for my Dad but have no use for it now.

I got some C&R guns displayed but with the exception of a shotgun and a few strategically placed pistols, the others are in a safe where they belong. Yes you need a safe. A friend of mine I work with has started collecting some firearms with a bit of steerage from me. Last year he started asking me about a few more guns that interested him and where he might find them. One was a pretty high dollar Sako varmint rifle and I told him with the potential monetary loss of a break in, a safe could pay for itself pretty quickly. So he is now the proud owner of a safe and now I feel better about enabling his gun habits.

I have guns out and around but when we leave the ranch unattended, everything (except what is traveling with us) goes in the safe. I am always nervous returning to a heavily armed (unoccupied) house without something in my hands or pocket.

I took up Deadeye on his generous offer of a gun rack he had made for his Dad. I picked it up on Saturday. It has enough space to display a pair of rimfires that are light enough not to cause stress. I will try to ignore the open spot this creates on my main rack. Thanks again Deadeye.

I took up Deadeye on his generous offer of a gun rack he had made for his Dad. I picked it up on Saturday. It has enough space to display a pair of rimfires that are light enough not to cause stress. I will try to ignore the open spot this creates on my main rack. Thanks again Deadeye.

How about pictures of your generous acquisition donated by Deadeye? This is one of the things I love about this site, the sharing nature of it's members.

Get a safe twice (or more) as big as you think you need. They really get filled up quick with all of the "other things" that find their way in.

The title of this thread confused me. How can one have "too many long guns"?

One can have too little space on a rack or in a safe, but that simply means that the rack or safe needs to be bigger.

I'm glad you found a solution that allows you to keep all yours.

I need a bigger safe just for my Springfield rifles...

I'm expanding back, out of the safe! Just three C&R military rifles but those big honkers will open the safe for four or five, smaller modern sporting rifles. Dresses up the bedroom wall too!

Over twenty-five years ago my friends dad built me a gun rack in his modern western style. I asked that it be like the rack seen on the Bonanza TV show. A place where you could grab a rifle and a box of shells on the way out of the door. He made it a self stander since a rack for scoped rifles would be too large to hang. I reasoned that I would only need a total of seven spots on the rack to cover my sporting needs. These needs were hunting big game and varmints. After ,purchasing three rifles this year I am in a bind. There are two defensive long guns that are excluded but now a single rifle is left with no place of permanent residence. You all will tell me I need a safe and I will agree. So must the old rack go to a new home ? Or should I give one rimfire the chop ? This plan makes no sense since I still want a semi auto .308 which will once again upset this balance. So far the only work around seems to be leaving one rifle on the gun cleaning rack perpetually. Or cased up for a theoretical outing. Then there is the mixed up left vs right bolt handle problem.

That original wall rack sounds super cool! I'd like to see a photo of it, too!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top