JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
To crimp, or not to crimp, that is the question.

I just started loading my own 223 tonight and it is intended for use with my semi-auto AR rifles. I have 100 rounds ready to go. I have not crimped any of them.

Is crimping my 223 really necessary?

I've been loading 224 Valkyrie and 308 for a few months now and have sent hundreds of these rounds down range successfully without any crimping. If it works for the 224 Valkyrie and 308 in semi-auto rifles, why wouldn't I achieve the same results with my non crimped 223?

What philosophy do you subscribe to and why?

A-IMG-1069.jpg

To crimp, or not to crimp, that is the question.

I just started loading my own 223 tonight and it is intended for use with my semi-auto AR rifles. I have 100 rounds ready to go. I have not crimped any of them.

Is crimping my 223 really necessary?

I've been loading 224 Valkyrie and 308 for a few months now and have sent hundreds of these rounds down range successfully without any crimping. If it works for the 224 Valkyrie and 308 in semi-auto rifles, why wouldn't I achieve the same results with my non crimped 223?

What philosophy do you subscribe to and why?

View attachment 574693
I haven't crimped a bottleneck case that goes in a box or rotary mag for years now......used to , waste of time for me.
I didn't see any gains that wanted to keep me doing it.

I never crimped loads for my bolt action .223 rifles, but the violent feeding of the semiautomatic AR-15 and the potential problems created by bullet setback led me to using a Lee factory crimp die to lightly crimp my AR loads. The loads still are sufficiently accurate for my purposes and it gives me piece of mind. I figure they put the cannelure on those bullets for a reason.

Should you...

Yeah.

Do most people... no

Why? More consistent release of the bullet from the case this giving more accuracy.

Why would you crimp?
Bullet coming forward during chambering. Manufacturers do it for liability reasons.

Toast lands butter side up or butter side down, do your own experimenting and see which route works for you.

Last Edited:
I crimp .300 Blackout, does that count?

I like crimping, gives me something to do, fulfills my OCD needs too. Kinda like these things to be consistent, same way, every time.

Only potential issue I could see in not crimping is bullet setback. That could get ones attention rather quickly...

Should you...

Yeah.

Do most people... no

Why? More consistent release of the bullet from the case this giving more accuracy.

Why would you crimp?
Bullet coming forward during chambering. Manufacturers do it for liability reasons.

Toast lands butter side up or butter side down, do your own experimenting and see which route works for you.

I do notice more consistency from even crimping as opposed to none. :)

I reload thousands of 223 annually for Competition shooting AR rifles. Never crimp no issues with
bullets being pushed back. I use standard full length RCBS sizer die. No canular SMK bullets.
Several times I have done an experiment load two batches ten rounds each identical loads except
for crimp and no crimp. The no crimp batch has always produced considerably tighter groups.
I am looking for the most accurate round I can produce.o_O Proof is in the results.:oops: A match
I shot last weekend I did a 197-8X at 600 yards. Tied by personnel best score.:D
C6JXM38QKuvCAkx538832WMNnthPN7jxuMFYQS5yqb1ymkpHWP2eMfP-wXv2uH_KGkFgxitZWl2IrSyOnE8=w469-h625-no.jpg

I do notice more consistency from even crimping as opposed to none. :)
That is true as well. I think that may be a lot dependent on the powder and bullet combination.

I tend to use a lot of softer powders and middle/light weight bullets and they tend to like no crimp. This shows though why it's important to find out what shoots best and not to just "listen to everyone" on the internet or take the common consensus on a forum.

Crimping introduces another variable, question is, does this new variable erase previous inconsistencies or introduce new ones?

No crimping for me if I am looking for consistency.

The RCBS AR die set will taper crimp and seat in the same step. I always adjust the die for a slight crimp when loading 223. No extra effort really and my results are consistent and reliable.

Yes.

One bullet in a weaker necked casing is all it takes.

IE if the bullet decides to go for a ride inward because it fed weird and the neck didn't have the strength to hold the bullet in place, kaboom.

I've seen this happen. Ironically with factory ammo as well as reloads.

One of the times I saw it we caught it, the first time was a catastrophic failure.

Not a good thing for the rifle afterwards.

Therefore I crimp semi auto reloads using a Lee Factory crimp.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top