JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I just applied for my CHL in Marion county. I've never carried but have been going to the range pretty faithfully since July. I'm wanting to start carrying and I have been looking into holsters, mainly IWB. I've tried to read up online about the pros and cons, read reviews, and watch some videos. I THINK I want a hybrid strong side holster with 2 belt clips instead of 1. 3-6 o'clock position? I'm really not wanting to end up with a drawer full of holsters I don't use.
I'm 5'10" on a good day. 200lbs. I'd love to say thats all muscle but I'm getting chubby and Preparing for winter. Any tips or suggestions? In particular I'm looking at the alien gear 3.5 IWB

I use two different holsters, depending on the clothing I am wearing. What works best for me when wearing bulkier clothing is my Garret holster Silent Thunder GT. When wearing a shirt that may imprint easier, I will use a Sticky holster, it is less secure but allows me to carry in almost any position IWB. I hope this helps in your search.

@DCriddle what pistol is your carry? There's probably forum members with the same piece that can not only tell you what works for them, but what didn't work & why. I have an older Alien Gear IWB holster for a S&W Shield that I no longer use, in favor of pocket carry.

If I was down to one holster, there is no doubt it would be my Milt Sparks Criterion.

If you are gonna carry regularly, the box full of holsters just finds you unless you really commit to one gun and you pony up for good leather the first time.

Nobody wants to end up with that drawer full of holsters, yet, if you are serious about carrying, that drawer will appear. It's an immutable law of nature. Change carry gun? Decide to try OWB? Gain or lose weight? Want to carry a spare magazine or speedloader? Want a light on your pistol? Change your mind about a light on your pistol? Ad infinitum. The pile gets bigger as time marches onward and with each variable of the equation. After 40 years of carrying and 5 different carry pistols over that time, I have a full drawer of holsters.

I'm really not wanting to end up with a drawer full of holsters I don't use.

LOL, the reality is, that's not reality. As stated above, nobody does, it just happens. It is like asking the same group "Which shoes should I get?" The answer is which ever ones fit you best and are most comfortable for YOU for the mission at hand, Handgun carry is a tricky game about balance between concealment and comfort and only you can decide what works best for you.

For me, when it comes to IWB I keep coming back to my G19 in a Kramer #3.

Tips: over size your pants and belt by 1" or 2", a quality purpose built belt is a must and is just as, if not more than, important as the holster.

It all really depends on what you want to carry, where, how often... ?
IMO, for a small gun (compact or SC), two clips is unnecessary apparatus. They take more effort to get on and get situated, sometimes requiring semi undressing. Multiply that by how many times you take the gun off and put it back on throughout the day. If your only doing it once and leaving it on all day then it's not nearly such a hassle.

Also, IMO, a gun large enough to need all that support should probably be carried OWB on a sturdy belt holster.

I personally use Vedder Light Tuck(s) or G-Code Eclipse for EDC. I carry at 4:00 strong side.

Last Edited:
I plan on carrying a G19 gen5. I bought a streamlight for it but decided it wouldn't go to well for IWB and figured it would make drawing a bit trickier.

Another vote for Milt Sparks. Although I've been very impressed with the "Sticky" brand IWB holsters lately. Affordable, fast and comfortable. Re - holstering is a bit more work thou.

Also, IMO, a gun large enough to need all that support should probably be carried OWB on a sturdy belt holstee.

See I don't get that, IWB conceals so much better and IMO is just as, if not more, sturdy and stable as an OWB holster and at that point (again IMO) you may as well go total overt with a Safariland duty ALS with a big gun.

Another vote for Milt Sparks.

I like Milt Sparks holsters, very quality stuff. My biggest problem with them is there lead time, right now they stating 18 to 24 weeks, I heard of people waiting longer. By comparison, Kramer states 10-13 week lead time, I never waited that long, more a month-month and half.

OP tip: If you go with a leather IWB make it horsehide.

See I don't get that, IWB conceals so much better and IMO is just as, if not more, sturdy and stable as an OWB holster and at that point (again IMO) you may as well go total overt with a Safariland duty ALS with a big gun.
You're probably right... maybe l just don't like having that much gun in my pants :s0114:

Me and the boys hate competition.

Last Edited:
I like Milt Sparks holsters, very quality stuff. My biggest problem with them is there lead time, right now they stating 18 to 24 weeks
Last Milt Sparks holster l had made (a SS II) took 9 mos start to finish. I'd kinda forgotten that I'd ordered it when they called to confirm (before they started making it) the order. That was 2 or 3 yrs ago.

Beautiful piece of work, though.

Appendix carry all day. Personally I like fieldcraft survival, Trex arms, and Gcode holsters. You'll have to be comfortable with a loaded gun pointed at your junk all day. But for me and the amount of driving, lifting, etc I do it's by far the best.

Last Milt Sparks holster l had made (a SS II) took 9 mos start to finish. I'd kinda forgotten that I'd ordered it when they called to confirm (before they started making it) the order. That was 2 or 3 yrs ago.

Beautiful piece of work, though.

Exactly. I know people that waited over a year. :s0001: WTF? :s0125: Yeah they put out great stuff but damn.

Garrity Holsters is the same way, but in his case I totally get it, he a full time cop and the holster business is a side gig for him. Kramer has always been the perfect balance between quality product, decent lead time and not completely outrageously price. Price, time, cost, with almost all other leather holster makers on that level you're giving up one of those three.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top