JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Anyone remember that old Seinfeld episode where they mentioned "strangers making out like they were on a doomed airplane going down"?

Govt going to have great difficulty in getting people in line if there's a mushroom cloud.

I'm disgusted to say but believe the current admin would actually let one nuke hit and would take it. Our admin would neglect to give the appropriate consequential reply which was supposed to be the deterrent in the first place.

I gleaned this opinion when Biden instantly replied "no" if people should be worried about a N war. An appropriate reply would have been "I hope not but are ready to make someone pay should they start one"

Oh please, please let it be portland, they can take the hit.

Anyone remember that old Seinfeld episode where they mentioned "strangers making out like they were on a doomed airplane going down"?

Govt going to have great difficulty in getting people in line if there's a mushroom cloud.

I'm disgusted to say but believe the current admin would actually let one nuke hit and would take it. Our admin would neglect to give the appropriate consequential reply which was supposed to be the deterrent in the first place.

I gleaned this opinion when Biden instantly replied "no" if people should be worried about a N war. An appropriate reply would have been "I hope not but are ready to make someone pay should they start one"

I just get the feeling we're being played.

I keep reading everywhere about our need to help Ukraine and at the same time about Putin's failed attack.

It's been 2 weeks. It took Germany a month to take Poland. It took the US 3 weeks to take Baghdad. So, tell me again how we know Putin's efforts are "failing/failed"?

America is in a weak spot. Culturally divided, economically strangled, reliant on other countries for damn near everything of value.

War time leaders tend to get cemented into power for a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dems secretly do want to poke the bear into sending a nuke simply because it'll rally the US, give them a target to blame current life on (instead of their failed policies).

Who knows? There's nothing me or mine can do if the war does go hot for us. Keep on keepin' on.

I just get the feeling we're being played.

I keep reading everywhere about our need to help Ukraine and at the same time about Putin's failed attack.

It's been 2 weeks. It took Germany a month to take Poland. It took the US 3 weeks to take Baghdad. So, tell me again how we know Putin's efforts are "failing/failed"?

America is in a weak spot. Culturally divided, economically strangled, reliant on other countries for damn near everything of value.

War time leaders tend to get cemented into power for a bit. It wouldn't surprise me if the Dems secretly do want to poke the bear into sending a nuke simply because it'll rally the US, give them a target to blame current life on (instead of their failed policies).

Who knows? There's nothing me or mine can do if the war does go hot for us. Keep on keepin' on.
Nothing brings a nation together like a war.

The upside of a small scale nuke strike or even a dirty bomb is that for maximum carnage/maximum impact they'd hit a massive U.S. urban center. Those places damn near all vote Blue.

Of course, dead voters are STILL Blue voters, so maybe I need to re-think that.

Depends. Wasn't there no real military benefit to nuking Heroshima and Nagasaki?
Both Hiroshima and Nagasaki were important military targets.

Hiroshima was a hub of military activities for the Japanese. The 2nd General Army and the Army Marine HQ were both located in Hiroshima, as well as a sizeable military garrison. Hiroshima was also an important port city. So, given those considerations, it was a valuable military target. Decapitate the military complex...

Nagasaki had one of the largest seaports in southern Japan, and hosted a major naval shipyard and manufacturing plants for ordnance, military equipment, and other war materials. Nagasaki was not the primary target for the Fat Man bomb, but there was a dense fog obscuring Kokura (the primary target, and site of one of Japan's largest munitions plants) on August 9th which prevented the aircrew from accurately sighting the city. Hence, Nagasaki, the alternate/secondary target, got the nuke.

Last Edited:
Depends. Wasn't there no real military benefit to nuking Heroshima and Nagasaki?
Basically, those were demonstration detonations. One of the political options at the time was to detonate one over the western Pacific Ocean. It was decided that it wouldn't be a good example of the amount of destruction that could be wrought. So it was decided to use built-up areas ("cities") that would show the true amount of damage possible. Which also happened to be full of people. Military importance of the chosen targets was of secondary concern but was taken into account.

The value placed upon human life by the conscience of humanity has been raised since then. However, this value is not universal.

Basically, those were demonstration detonations. One of the political options at the time was to detonate one over the western Pacific Ocean. It was decided that it wouldn't be a good example of the amount of destruction that could be wrought. So it was decided to use built-up areas ("cities") that would show the true amount of damage possible. Which also happened to be full of people.

The value placed upon human life by the conscience of humanity has been raised since then. However, this value is not universal.
They were indeed demonstrations of the power of nukes. But also, those nukes were dropped on militarily significant targets.
See my post above.

Principles of mutually assured destruction will keep people from ever using the nuclear option I would think.
In order for MAD to work, both sides have to know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the other side would launch shortly after they do.

Do you think Putin really believes Biden has the wherewithal to pull the trigger? I don't.

Civilians being slaughtered is a big motivator for leadership.
Well, it did end the war and send a nice message to the Soviets who were getting greedy in Manchuria.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top