JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Assuming the article is correct...a big assumption...the homeowner needs to be charged. You do not shoot at someone running away - there are very few legally, morally justifiable reasons to do that.

" he opened fire on the intruders as they fled the property."

Now, could it have been that they were advancing on him at the time he drew and started the firing process? If so, he would be in a better legal position.

I am not sure this is a poster case for Castle Doctrine.

You would also need to change Oregons Self Defense law. Which basically states the only reason you can point a firearm at a person is for reasons of self defense.

I have a hard time finding a way to call someone running away from me self defense.

One of the only acceptable times to actually shoot someone in the back or running away from you is if the person poses a continued threat to life such as in a active shooter situation.

In the above situation, when the LEOs ask you why you better just say... they were shooting at me while running and if they didn't have a gun well you made several mistakes.

agreed this guy should not have shot at people running away,, but in the article,, first they were trying to re-enter the home, after previous burglary. Not trying to say this guy was legal,, but wouldn't it be nice if the laws tended to lean more towards the homeowner, instead of in some grey area where legal interpitation of a home owners rights makes the home owner have to second guess legality at a moment in time where the home owners life is at stake?. what if its on the other end of the scale, where a home owner is hesitating because he is not sure if he can legally defend himself, and ends up dead because he hesitated alowing himself to be overpowered by home invaders. what about all the cop videos of cops jumping in fron of a car thats trying to get away, then unleashing as many bullets as they can at a fleeing suspect,, why is that o.k. when a suspect is fleeing, when obviously the cop was not in any real danger,, but that is justified..seems unfair that there is a double standard, for L.E.O. and joe public.

If he caught the guys breaking into his home, then that can be justifiable in OR - When a Burglary is taking place, or attempting to take place.
There is another thread with the ORS statute showing that. Key being 2 things - burglary not robbery, and domicile - your house, not some out building.
I am not educated on the case law. Which could have a huge impact on the reality.

I'm afraid entry wounds in the back would raise more than a little interest for any LEO entering the scene.
Just tell the perp to wait, then when he stops and turns go for it.

.......................Jack

How does anyone here actually know for fact that the homeowner fired at suspects running away. This very well could be know as what is called a group lie perpetuated by the suspects to alleviate further criminal prosecution.

Its called in legal terms" Malicious Prosecution". When someone falsifies actual facts to try and cover up their own mistakes. Me personally I can see a criminal stating false facts in resenting the fact alone they were busted in a criminal act.

I have not read the whole article, nor do I make this assertion, but were any of us including the news people even there?

We all know about news-media bias.

...and all you need when you falsely say they were running away is for a witness to counter your version, neighbor's home security saying otherwise, and/or forensics to determine your version is in doubt. so you need to ask yourself.....do you feel lucky today?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top