JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I recently found a good vehicle storage option for a long gun to keep locked secure in my pick up. The question now is, what to put in it? I've thought about a Savage model 42 take down, a 10/22 Take Down, a Ruger American or Remington 700 .223, maybe a Savage or Marlin in .22 mag. Something that can be used as a survival rifle when I find myself up a creek without a paddle. What do you guys think?
If you can find one in good shape, something like an old Savage 24 comes to mind...preferably in .30-30 / 12 ga.
A smaller scale option would be an old Springfield M6 scout/survival combo gun.

...finally, another viewpoint...

Maybe this is the time to sit down and think about how you would use that gun, the most?
A .22 or a 16 ga. single shot might be less appropriate than a mini-14 or an old .30-30 lever action, or maybe a .38 in the glove box will trump them all.

Dean

Last Edited:
IMG_1351.JPG

Here's what I am going to use. I found a cable you can feed through the upper and out the magwell. Now I can take a small hike without so much worry. I can lock it to the roll bar or seat frame and cover it. Thanks for the idea.

It's funny how my cheap AR goes for more rides than the fancy ones. But it has yet to malfunction, even with the Herter's steel ammo. What a solid design.

IMG_20170809_102526.jpg

IMG_20170304_084927.jpg

My truck "rifle" is a PSA AR-9 "pistol" (w/33 round Glock mags) w/Shockwave blade. Found it used for small money.
While it is not a take-down, it is short enough to easily conceal.
Also nice that it shoots 9mm like the pistol in my console.

So has our thinker thought a little bit? I asked the same question a ways back but that disappeared. no law 'gainst that go figure.
but I was still wondering

Lotsa responses to this one! Im liking that pick-up mounted rig,,, Best have some good tarpaulin in case of rain... Ive often wanted sumthin like that for traffic issues,:eek: know what I mean>???
Can't say I like the idea of a mare's leg tho.. is it a pistol or just a waaaay shortened carbine? How does one shoot the dang things?

That said, seriously, my trunk guns have been SKS's, carried in the trunk (usually), loaded with 10 to go, empty chamber. And one of the old Chinee chest pouches with 210 rounds on strippers for each.. Yea, tho I drive thru the Valley in the Shadow of the Rockies, I shall fear no evil... more that one person has gone bug-eyed when I opened the trunk for one reason or another...:D
Also each vehicle has it's own nine mil with spare mags and ammo locked in a small "strong box" in the passenger side. Then again these are just emergency weapons, my EDC is usually my Gblock 21. More guns than sense I suppose. Originally went with the SKS's and Ruger autos because at the time of acquisition they were less than $100 each, a little more for the used duty pistols. If they were stolen it wouldnt be like losing a AK or AR... Rarely will I carry an AR because the puny caliber won't do rat-skeet to a bear or big cat, both of which we've encountered when picnicking or camping. Seems like friends and family depend on ME to be armed and take care of "business"...
The SKS's are no longer cheap and both the Soviet and Chinese are expensive to come by now. Ive got cheaper Yugo Mausers that COULD be used, but they can't lay down the fire of the semi-autos.

Actually I put my faith and safety in the hands of the Providence of my God, while understanding that the Almighty provides "means" to take care of ourselves and Divine Will trumps all. As my sainted Irish Grandmother taught me long ago "God helps them as helps themselves"- I love and miss you, Gramma-! may she rest forever in Glory!

Zoe! Firefly was the best show ever to get cancelled in its first season. One of my very favorites. If you like witty one liners,Guns, Sci-Fi and Westerns it's brilliant!

again... the big advantage of the Mares leg is that it's considered a pistol even in rifle calibers.... so you can keep it loaded in your truck if you have a CPL. And for those that think lever guns aren't tactical enough...

72FA3FD3-03E7-438E-A398-53E53E9CF8DF-1081-0000022FE16ED52C_tmp.png 7F1AAD3E-6CE0-43D6-9FAF-3DF349B370E0-1081-0000022F1B695207_tmp.jpg

Last Edited:
Bias. When the first KT I ever shot started falling apart in my hands, I can't hold one without feeling how cheap they are. At least the HP knows what it is and prices itself as such instead of trying to pass itself off as premium and artificially creating demand by shorting the market. YMMV

Well a couple things here. First is highpoint only missed by making their carbines use a proprietary single stack mag. When they first hit they were around $150. Looked a lot like the rifles in the original Planet of the Apes movie. People soon found the damn things worked amazingly well for the price.
Kel-Tec first came out with the Sub9 and Sub 40. They were quite expensive to make. Later they came out with the Sub 2000, far cheaper to make, and the guns took off. The "shorting the market" stuff is myth that gets passed around a lot. The guy who started the company was very careful to go slow with expansion of his company. They do not have a dedicated factory making one gun. They also keep coming up with new designs. They have always been careful to not invest huge sums in equipment that will sit idle. A lot of people don't understand how manufacturing works. If someone like KT invested enough to make all their guns at a rate that would flood the market soon the equipment would sit idle. This is a very expensive way to make something. It's a good way to end up going out of business too.

Now as far as quality KT like all manufacturers let out a problem now and then. Given how many guns they sell that should tell you how often there is a problem. If a large percentage of what they made was falling apart in the owners hands people would not be clamoring to buy more of their guns. KT also does not make more money from the "supposed shortage". Some who can get guns that are in demand can make more profit. The guy who started KT has seen the Feds suddenly decide some gun is no longer allowed. After seeing this it made him careful to diversify. Every new gun takes a LONG time to make up the R&D cost. This was why the shotgun that was hard to get for a while suddenly became easy to come by. The feds were making some noise about stopping these. KT ramped up production of them, which meant a lot of other stuff had to be delayed. They wanted to make sure they got enough made to get the R&D cost out before the Feds said no more. Now the S2K's are certainly not for everyone. No gun is.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top