JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My second gen P3-AT has never failed with different quality ammo and reloads. While it is a "cheap" pistol it seems to work rather well for me. Carry it often. I am glad KT got the ball rolling and now there are many other good options like LCP II. Still very happy with my P3-AT. Very reliable for what it is.

Well a couple things here. First is highpoint only missed by making their carbines use a proprietary single stack mag. When they first hit they were around $150. Looked a lot like the rifles in the original Planet of the Apes movie. People soon found the damn things worked amazingly well for the price.
Kel-Tec first came out with the Sub9 and Sub 40. They were quite expensive to make. Later they came out with the Sub 2000, far cheaper to make, and the guns took off. The "shorting the market" stuff is myth that gets passed around a lot. The guy who started the company was very careful to go slow with expansion of his company. They do not have a dedicated factory making one gun. They also keep coming up with new designs. They have always been careful to not invest huge sums in equipment that will sit idle. A lot of people don't understand how manufacturing works. If someone like KT invested enough to make all their guns at a rate that would flood the market soon the equipment would sit idle. This is a very expensive way to make something. It's a good way to end up going out of business too.

Now as far as quality KT like all manufacturers let out a problem now and then. Given how many guns they sell that should tell you how often there is a problem. If a large percentage of what they made was falling apart in the owners hands people would not be clamoring to buy more of their guns. KT also does not make more money from the "supposed shortage". Some who can get guns that are in demand can make more profit. The guy who started KT has seen the Feds suddenly decide some gun is no longer allowed. After seeing this it made him careful to diversify. Every new gun takes a LONG time to make up the R&D cost. This was why the shotgun that was hard to get for a while suddenly became easy to come by. The feds were making some noise about stopping these. KT ramped up production of them, which meant a lot of other stuff had to be delayed. They wanted to make sure they got enough made to get the R&D cost out before the Feds said no more. Now the S2K's are certainly not for everyone. No gun is.

My second gen P3-AT has never failed with different quality ammo and reloads. While it is a "cheap" pistol it seems to work rather well for me. Carry it often. I am glad KT got the ball rolling and now there are many other good options like LCP II. Still very happy with my P3-AT. Very reliable for what it is.
I still have the first P32 I had to get on a waiting list for. First gun other than NAA I could pocket carry and forget. Ended up with 2 32s and a 380 for a while. All 3 were 100 % out the box. George has been quite the inventor.

Yeah, but if you're gonna own one of those, you better look like.....

View attachment 382317

...:D:p

How about this? :D:p

tumblr_nxmptoxQsn1qz5q5oo1_500.png

wanted-dead-or-alive-poster-2537.jpg

Damn. I miss out on this forum for a couple of days and it went all the way side ways.o_O

Either way I decided to just order an upper for my Anderson lower. $259 for a complete PSA carbine upper with free shipping. Should work perfect for a truck rifle.

Like so many others here, I must confess to a fascination with the Mare's Leg. One of these days I'll have to own one, even if I have not yet found a practical use for it. In fact, it was never practical. The original that McQueen carried was a cut down Model 1892, which most likely fired 44-40 (my own M1892 is a 38-40) but the Director wanted to give the impression of "big rifle power," so he was always shown with the belt full of big 45-70 cartridges that couldn't possibly have fit into his gun. Actually, that Mare's Leg wouldn't have much ballistic advantage over a common 7½" Colt SAA. But they are cool looking and fun. ;)

On the Truck Gun thing: I've always held to the "cheap" part of the definition. And to me it's a long gun; I wear my pistol. It should be something functional and rugged that can rattle around in your truck (or car trunk) and you won't cry if it picks up a scratch or dent. Once upon a time, when such things were cheap, that might have been a travel worn 30-30 by Winchester or Marlin. Some years ago, I got the bug for a Truck Gun, and I happened to pick up a Model 1893 Mauser for $50. Well, hell, a bomb-proof $50 Mauser made sense. But I started planning what I wanted, sporterize the wood a bit, shorten and crown barrel, install better sights... And while I was thinking about it, I ordered up some ammo, dies, whatever I thought I'd need to keep my cheap 8mm running. I suddenly realized I'd already dumped another $200 (it would be more today) into the project and I hadn't even touched the gun yet. So "cheap, rugged and functional" seems to boil down to a cheap surplus rifle (I know, that's quickly becoming a contradictory term) that will do the job (off the bench, that Mauser was respectably accurate with WWII ammo and iron sights) and not break easily.

I think you can still get a Mosin Nagant pretty cheaply. I'm going to say stick with a substantial caliber, from 30-30 through 308 and 30-06 and including "foreigners" like the 7.62x54R and 8mm Mauser. I certainly include the 7.62x39 (which is pretty much a "commie 30-30" if you load 150 grainers). But I sure miss the days of $79 surplus SKS, $99 new Chinese SKS and $199 new MAK90. Nothing wrong with the idea of a cheap shotgun with sights. Toss a cheap shotgun in the truck, with a handful each of slugs, buck and maybe number 6 shot, and you've pretty much got it covered. My mental image of a "Truck Gun" is still a beat up surplus rifle with few 5 round stripper clips of ammo on the glove compartment. But as I'm typing this, I'm remembering that I do have a few cheap single barrel shotguns around the place.

I don't include an AR or M1-A or FAL as a Truck Gun. They are all fighting guns, but expensive, and my definition of "Truck Gun" remains "cheap, adequately powerful & accurate, durable, doesn't have to be pretty."

My own impression of Kel-Tec: When I go to their website and look at the guns, I think "gee, cool inventions, should be in sci-fi action movies." But I remind myself that they tend to put new designs into production before they really have the bugs all worked out. So I should buy any Kel-Tec that interests me, only after it has been in production for a few years.

I, too, am antsy about leaving a gun in an unattended vehicle. I guess that's why the Truck Gun is mostly a mental exercise for me. I'll pack a "take along" long gun into the hills on occasion, but just can't bring myself to leave it in the rig.

Well, I have an action that came in a random box of parts (so it was essentially free), barrels I took off other rifles, and chopped stocks I pulled off other sportered guns. Benefit of being a gunsmith/hoarder who used to have a retail shop.

We ought to have a year long contest to build the best sub-$200 truck gun. Most creative, most functional, most unique, best looking, etc. Anyone else want to play?

I got my H&R as payment for helping a guy move some furniture into a moving truck.
Even though it cost me about $90 to have it put together (and opened to modified) I'd still cry if anything happened to it.
...guess I'm to cheap to have a "truck gun".

That appears to be an MG42 reciever wearing an ace skeleton stock... welded to the top of a Remington model 11, with sights fitted to the tube...If it's functional that's is some jedi gunsmithing!:s0152:

I doubt it works... It's possible though. the action spring/tube would haven't to be angled up(or down I guess) to fit into the Ace stock tube, and a linkage of some sort from the mg42 trigger to the 11's hammer on top... It would be cooler(but much more difficult) if they moved the 42 reciever back a few inches and ran it off its hammer. wish I could see the other side. I'm intrigued:s0153:

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR