JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I recently found a good vehicle storage option for a long gun to keep locked secure in my pick up. The question now is, what to put in it? I've thought about a Savage model 42 take down, a 10/22 Take Down, a Ruger American or Remington 700 .223, maybe a Savage or Marlin in .22 mag. Something that can be used as a survival rifle when I find myself up a creek without a paddle. What do you guys think?

Can you elaborate on the need for the gun? Where are you seeing it in need most? In a, at work and a nuke hits Seattle type thing? Or, I was careless and went 4 hours into the woods on less than a quarter tank of fuel?

Very different situations.

If it's the first scenario. A good pistol.

If it's the second. The 22 with lots of ammo.

Edit:

I know you stated rifle. In that case I agree with the Ruger AR556 for the 1st scenario and the second. And lots of mags and ammo.

Sporterized 03a3, barrel cut to 19", NECG banded front sight with sourdough style gold inlay front blade, military peep rear sight, aperture opened just a bit.

Bedded into a synthetic stock, shortened to a 12 3/4" length of pull and cerakoted matte black.

Need to finish putting the scout scope mount block(s) on, but haven't had time yet...

Carry that in a short rifle case with ten stripper clips of ammo. Works for me...;)

Last Edited:
Sporterized 03a3, barrel cut to 19", NECG banded front sight with sourdough style gold inlay front blade, military peep rear sight, aperture opened just a bit.

Bedded into a synthetic stock, shortened to a 12 3/4" length of pull and cerakoted matte black.

Need to finish putting the scout scope mount block(s) on, but haven't had time yet...

Carry that in a short rifle case with ten stripper clips of ammo. Works for me...;)

I would prefer an Ishapore Enfield in .308 or surplus British Enfield in .303, cut down to carbine, with Scout Scope and a folding buttstock. I have the Ishapore carbine with Scout scope, but I need to find/buy a folding stock adapter.

Here is my set up. Been think about selling it

20160717_214617.jpg 20160717_214629.jpg

How 'bout a Ruger AR556? They sell new for like $480 and break down with the push of a pin. hey

I have been using a basic AR when exploring the woods in the Jeep. Carry handle rear sight and A frame front. Stout.

A survival type rifle I would take the 10/22 takedown. But it must have iron sights , as a backup at least.

Many good options out there.

How about an AR pistol? You can get one in various calibers and they are definitely accurate to 100+. Throw a KAK Shockwave on it and if you have to, you could momentarily shoulder it for better accuracy. ;)

Another vote for the AR556, but add a concealable pistol like an M&P shield. That way if needed you could carry the AR556 broken down in a pack but still have a weapon handy.

Sub 2000 in either 9mm or .40
Abundant and cheap ammo and easy storage in a regular back pack.
Plus interchangeability with Glock pistols.
Not a fan of Keltec,Glock,9mm,OR .40,but it makes a great "SHTF,bug out,truck gun,etc"
Cheap and reliable.
20170722_125058.jpg

Last Edited:
I have been using a basic AR when exploring the woods in the Jeep. Carry handle rear sight and A frame front. Stout.

A survival type rifle I would take the 10/22 takedown. But it must have iron sights , as a backup at least.

Many good options out there.
Yea, the AR556 has the A-frame front and flip up rear as standard.

The 03a3 replaced my Marlin .30-30. There are distinct advantages to not lugging around an AR or the like. I live in rural Oregon, and carrying around a lever action or bolt gun doesn't draw attention to one's self...

Guns, in my opinion should not be left in the car overnight, so people will, at the very least, see you lugging it into and out of the house.

I miss my .30-30, and need to build another...

IMG_0970.JPG

Another Vote for the KTS2K's. Folded they fit in a laptop bag. Also like the AR pistol now days. Since you can put a brace on one and it's still a handgun in this state, can carry it loaded in the car with my CPL. Making one more tempting.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews