JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Would sure like to know where you get those prices. You link me too them at that price and I will buy you some too.
Pmags run about $19 on the low end and Armalite running on the high end at $50 44MAG.com - .308/7.62x51 NATO Caliber AR15 Magazines
I know there are some AR's that take G3 mags which are under $5 and ones that take the FAL mags around $20.

I think a few missed that the OP asked about .308/7.62 battle rifles, not the poodle shooters.

ArmaLite changed their prices on AR10 mags about six weeks ago. They run $35 as individual mags and $30 in five packs. This is from ArmaLite, other venders are still at inflated prices.

Has anyone noticed a increase in AR15 magazine prices in the past week or so? 30rd windowed AR Pmags have hit $18.

Another thing you guys are forgetting is weight. The m1 for example, have you ever picked one up? I have recently at a gun show and I cannot see how anybody would choose to lug a heavy rifle like that around of they had too.

Wow. 11lbs is too much for you? It is sad that you are such a weakling. I bet you are one of those that pisses and moans about recoil too.

Another thing you guys are forgetting is weight. The m1 for example, have you ever picked one up? I have recently at a gun show and I cannot see how anybody would choose to lug a heavy rifle like that around of they had too.

For a grunt, that is not heavy, ever checked out the weight of the packs they carry, then add helmet, rifle, ammo, etc? Weight is important, but it is not the only criteria. Just because a AR15 looks like a M4, it is not a battle rifle. I knew it is a terminology thing, like assault rifle. Having something that looks like a battle rifle does not make you a soldier. AR15s are vaminters, hunting rifles, recreational rifles, etc. Remember the Assault Rifle ban, was based on looks and a scary name. My oldest "rifle" was at one time the state of art battle rifle and it is 197 years old. It had a few upgrades by 1860. A tool is only as good as the craftsman holding it.

Yes but being hit with one is like having a Dumptruck contact your honda at 55mph you won't need to do it again.

Would sure like to know where you get those prices. You link me too them at that price and I will buy you some too.
Pmags run about $19 on the low end and Armalite running on the high end at $50 44MAG.com - .308/7.62x51 NATO Caliber AR15 Magazines
I know there are some AR's that take G3 mags which are under $5 and ones that take the FAL mags around $20.
My mistake. When I read "AR" in your post, I automatically thought of .223 ammo. The prices for mags for that caliber are much lower than for .308. Again, I'm sorry for the mistake.

For .223, if you order a minimum of 10 PMAGS from Rainier Arms, LLC™ | Taking the AR15 to new heights. and use the code MAP during checkout, you'll pay $10.50 each.

<broken link removed> 10 for $85

I think a few missed that the OP asked about .308/7.62 battle rifles, not the poodle shooters.
Thanks for the reminder.

madcratebuilder said:
Has anyone noticed a increase in AR15 magazine prices in the past week or so? 30rd windowed AR Pmags have hit $18.
You can still find 20rd for near $10.

Gee....you really picked up a Garand at a gunshow and you survived??? Mine is my go-to home defense weapon, and they are hard to beat...try Pilates and maybe your next encounter with an M-1 won't hurt so much

Wow. 11lbs is too much for you? It is sad that you are such a weakling. I bet you are one of those that pisses and moans about recoil too.

Your a idiot. Every ounce counts when your in a shtf situation. But, I'm guessing a shtf situation to you is when mcdonalds is sold out of big macs!

Coul dyou comment on the gun / barrel combo you referenced?

If you want excellent accuracy, then the AR platform is the only way to go, and it's not cheap. The one I built last year cost around $1300 and I went cheap on the barrel. Looking back I would have bought a different barrel and it would have been closer to $1500, without a nice trigger or optic or sights.

For a grunt, that is not heavy, ever checked out the weight of the packs they carry, then add helmet, rifle, ammo, etc? Weight is important, but it is not the only criteria. Just because a AR15 looks like a M4, it is not a battle rifle. I knew it is a terminology thing, like assault rifle. Having something that looks like a battle rifle does not make you a soldier. AR15s are vaminters, hunting rifles, recreational rifles, etc. Remember the Assault Rifle ban, was based on looks and a scary name. My oldest "rifle" was at one time the state of art battle rifle and it is 197 years old. It had a few upgrades by 1860. A tool is only as good as the craftsman holding it.

You make a good point. Weight is important. As you stated, all the extra gear a grunt has to carry around makes a difference. If I had to choose, I'm gonna choose the lightest, most effective rifle around.

With that said, I would pick the ar platform. IMO a 308 is not a battle rifle. Look at our military forces. They choose the ar platform in 223/556 because it is meant to wound
(among other reasons) which slows the other forces down. I wouldn't want to kill, just wound as it takes up a couple extra bodies to tend to the wounded soldier.

As far as grunts, most, if not all, are in their 20s. I would highly doubt that we can do
things more strenuous than we could do now in our 30s, 40s, 50s and so on. I'm guessing the majority of the people on this forum is not in their 20s anymore. Even though alot of people act like it.

I have a few questions*:
Number wise, what does "budget" mean?
What does battle rifle mean to you?
Does battle rifle mean your go-to-war-gun?
If so, what kind of war do you expect or find most likely if that's the case?
How far do you intend to shoot with what kind of degree of accuracy?
Does battle rifle only = .308 and/or NATO 7.62x51?
AFAIK, those rounds are slightly different from each other.

Sometimes people ask questions like this so "we" will give them the definition of their question and an answer.
In other words,
What do you think a battle rifle is and which one do you think is best? might be the real question.I say this because you do know the answer to the TS' question,so why not just answer it?
If he gave all the answers to your questions,your answer would be the same anyway.

Sooo,7.62X anything is a great "battle rifle" X39 works great and is cheap to buy,with rifles at $300-500.
X54 ,the platform is very cheap (mosins between $100 and $150) and the ammo is very cheap
X51 (308nato) isn't cheap and the rifles aren't either.

But a GOOD rifle is close to $1000.

I would say a battle rifle should be accurate to maybe 200 yards? A SKS will do that.So will a AK47

Are you going to be the sniper in this battle? Then your budget probably needs a lift
$1000 get a mediocre package with a scope and rifle.

You make a good point. Weight is important. As you stated, all the extra gear a grunt has to carry around makes a difference. If I had to choose, I'm gonna choose the lightest, most effective rifle around.

With that said, I would pick the ar platform. IMO a 308 is not a battle rifle. Look at our military forces. They choose the ar platform in 223/556 because it is meant to wound
(among other reasons) which slows the other forces down. I wouldn't want to kill, just wound as it takes up a couple extra bodies to tend to the wounded soldier.

As far as grunts, most, if not all, are in their 20s. I would highly doubt that we can do
things more strenuous than we could do now in our 30s, 40s, 50s and so on. I'm guessing the majority of the people on this forum is not in their 20s anymore. Even though alot of people act like it.

The OP mentioned budget, so how big or little is the budget?

.308 is back in action as a battle rifle, but in limited duty. The neat thing about the 5.56 is again weight, one can carry twice as much ammo. The kicker, is that there are squad weapon that argument the M4. A single person may need to think more about what they will have. A 5.56 may not be the best choice. The AR platform is very versatile, so there are other calibers one can choose. The issue then is cost.

Mosins are the least expensive in the group of 7.62. They are a good bolt gun. The prices goes up from there.

One aspect of the Garand, it also makes a real good club.

The OP request was for a battle rifle in 7.62 caliber. I think looking for a battle rifle is looking in the wrong arena. The idea is to avoid a battle, disappear into the scenery. A good rifle would provide, self protection and hunting abilities. Hopefully it in the worse situation it will be a hunting rifle more than anything else. A AR10 or SR25 would be nice, but they are up there in price. Other aspect if the ammo is exotic it could be hard to find if your supplies are out. After a battle there are always extra rifles and ammo.

Some good reading, would be like the Louis and Clark expeditions. Frontier skills of that time would be very useful. Being prepared to be on your own for a long time would be helpful. During that period of time there where friendlies and hostiles.

Probably like most things, if the SHTF, it will not be like what one is prepared for.

GET OFF MY LAWN

The M-1 Garand and M-1A in my opinion are a superior design to the Mausers, Mosins, Enfields ect. in one glaring respect is the apature rear sight. It has one minute adjustment for windage and elevation.
Having a 30 cal. 'Battle Rifle' loaded with AP ammo could be handy. Any of these rifles can fill the bill. You have to get what you can afford. Cowboy up and go shoot a Garand match at your local club.
A rifle made from iron and wood.

I do subscribe to the A4 , 223 as a great Battle Rifle system to customize with optics, lights, 20 inch AR A2 NM service rifle with iron sights are capable of perfect scores out to 600 yards.

I'm wanting to join the 'battle rifle' club, but don't know very much about which ones to avoid and which to look for. By battle rifle, I mean some in .308/7.62, and unfortunately, somewhat on a budget. For those of you who have an opinion (or two or three opinions), please let me know what you like/don't like. Fal? M1A? Scar? AR-10?

I have a couple for sale. Almost from $1300 and up. Let me know if interested. Mine are all like brand new as I keep all my guns.

Let me know and if you want to shoot them I will give you fifty rounds to fire away..................

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top