JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, a guy asks for suggestions about reasonably priced 7.62 NATO battle rifles and three pages into the discussion and we still have some folks talking SHTF, encumberance, and the virtues of .223 VS. .308. What is wrong with the idea of purchasing a particular rifle just because you WANT one? Sheesh.

To the originally posted question...as you've probably figured out by now, 'budget' is a relative term when refering to battle rifles, assuming of course by the use of that term that you are refering to modern-ish semi-automatic military style rifles chambered 7.62 NATO, and not 03 Springfields, Mosins, Kropatscheks or Dreyse needle guns. In the .308 semi-auto world, $1,000 IS budget, and many of the suggestions here...FAL, PTR-91, Saiga, etc...are good options.

Keith

14.5" .308 is just stupid, might as well use something in .300 Black or 7.62x39.

For a .308 battle rifle.. look no further than the FAL. $1000 gets you a DSA built with IMBEL parts, and it's a solid rifle. You won't get MOA accuracy out of it, but it will be minute of man out to 500 yards easily. DSA IMBEL $999 from AIMSURPLUS. I love my DSA, and it shoots about 3" at 100 yards with surplus ammunition, which is pretty average for an FAL.

If you want excellent accuracy, then the AR platform is the only way to go, and it's not cheap. The one I built last year cost around $1300 and I went cheap on the barrel. Looking back I would have bought a different barrel and it would have been closer to $1500, without a nice trigger or optic or sights.

My Armalites shoot .5 or less with most ammo and shoot 800 meters with ease. There are times when you need better than 3 MOA at a hundred. For a few hundred more dollars you can achieve that. Just my opinion though. We all have them

Specifically the PTR-91 or a HK91?
Is the reliability of the PTR-91 sufficient for "battle" or SHTF situations?

My PTR91 Squad Carbine runs much beter than my 1982 HK91 and more reliable.

The PTR is better for accuracy and reliablilty as that has been my experience. Would I sell my HK? NO.

But the PTR is more than enough for a SHTF problem. I have a couple and ran one super hard and it keeps on trucking and is dealdy accurate. I would buy another in a heartbeat. Now you got me thinking it time to get another.

I love them and they are very good guns for the money and customer service is excellent.

Specifically the PTR-91 or a HK91?
Is the reliability of the PTR-91 sufficient for "battle" or SHTF situations?

Assuming your question isn't ironic humor (hard to tell without smileys ;) ), if I had meant HK-91, I would have said HK-91. Considering it is 2.5x the price of the PRT it hadn't even entered my mind when discussing a budget rifle.

Keith

When I bought my .308 battle rifle a few years back, I ended up going with a PTR-91 after considering all the rest; FAL, saiga, M1A, AR-10, and I've spent the past few years complaining that I hadn't gotten something different instead, mainly because the ergonomics are horrid on the PTR, and it destroys brass (when you can find them).

Recently I added a cheek rest, and that actually made a huge difference in how comfortable it is to shoot, but the gun is still awkward nonetheless.

I've got no complaints about accuracy or reliability, as the only malfunctions to date were with SA surplus, which PTR says not to use.

It's a heavy gun (all .308s are though), which is fine for shooting from a rest, but I wouldn't want to lug one of these big bastards around the woods though. I'd much rather have an AK or AR for that.

I still kinda wish I had bought an M1A, but I'm liking my PTR more and more all the time....except the cost of ammo.

th_001-2.jpg

Assuming your question isn't ironic humor (hard to tell without smileys ;) ), if I had meant HK-91, I would have said HK-91. Considering it is 2.5x the price of the PRT it hadn't even entered my mind when discussing a budget rifle.

Keith

I know three guys who just sold their HK's and they averaged $2300.

PTR's run $12 to 1600 hundred. HK's do Not sell for 2.5 x's more.

CDNN has PTR-91 GI's for $799, which is the one you want anyways because it has the correct chamber fluting.

Thanks for the input. It pays to do your research :) . Edit: I found one in their catalog for $899. Their 'sniper' version with all the works is in the $1,500 range.

If you do go with any G3 clone, the cheek rest and a port buffer are well worth the minor investment.

Keith

I know three guys who just sold their HK's and they averaged $2300.

PTR's run $12 to 1600 hundred. HK's do Not sell for 2.5 x's more.

See the previous post, but OK, even with your numbers, at only 2x the price, the HK is obviously still not a budget rifle.

For the OP, another option would be the SAR-3 or -8 made in Greece for Springfield (avoid the later SPringfields with the aluminum receivers) . You'll see them in the $1,500 range. Not exactly budget, but it has a lifetime warranty that follows the rifle, unlike an HK. The PTR is warranted for only 1 year to the original purchaser.

Keith

How plentiful are Saiga .308 mags? It's a fact G3/FAL/M14/AK/AR mags are everywhere, but...Saiga .308 mags? :s0092:

Their around just look for em. Local shops in my area have them, or you could just buy a few a of them from the internet after all its not like in a shtf scenario your going to go looking to buy mags you should've already had your mags by then otherwise your screwed.

I have a very nice FMP factory made G3s (imported 1989) that i might cut loose if you are interested. It's the next best thing to an Original HK 91. If you read up they are made on HK tooling in Portugal and not US made parts gun like other that you might find.

Have a bunch of mags and ammo as well. Please PM for details.

I know, I have one with f-ed up sights. Just put a red dot or scope on top, done. We are talking cheap here. Never fails to fire or jam. $400 + $100 scope/mount, good to go.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top