JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What can you tell me about these odd plastic sheathes around the bullets in these 308 Win loads?
308.jpg

I believe that they might be "accelerator" rounds .......well, maybe that was the marketing term. I forget who was the makers. Perhaps, Remington?

They acted like a "sabot". You know on the AP tank rounds.

Aloha, Mark

Accelerators, look factory by Remington.

You can build your own.

Thanks, and nice article reference.

"In closing of this examination of the odd Accelerator cartridges much mystery still surrounds this now obsolete cartridge. While saboted shotgun slugs and muzzleloading projectiles abound centerfire rifle cartridges stalled out for the most part except possibly for military use. Also, proven use of the Accelerator cartridges on game has proven quite fleeting to find. Will the centerfire sporting concept of the saboted rifle bullet be visited again? Only time will tell."

Converts your 308 to a 22-250 equivalent.

Bruce

Converts your 308 to a 22-250 equivalent.

Bruce

Make .308 into .223 again! :s0023:

Not!

I loaded some of those myself. At 75 yards, they printed a group of about 2-1/2 inches as I recall. But bear in mind, these take a different technique in loading than ordinary centerfire and these were my first effort at doing it. I used bulk Rem. .224 PSP's. They were fired in my old Win. Mod. 70, I didn't notice any residue from the plastic carrier. Or maybe I should say, after cleaning, I didn't see anything remaining.

The .308's using this projectile set-up take a fast rifle powder, like IMR 4198 or similar.

At one time, I had several boxes of Rem. factory Accelerator loads but they were too valuable to shoot just for kicks so I sold them.

One thing to think about, the actual bullet doesn't receive any engraving from the rifle bore. So they would be a tricky thing forensically. I suppose investigators might find the location where it was fired, and look around for the carrier sabot. Which may or may not be of any value for evidence.

They don't work well at all. The problem is that the smaller the bullet, the faster the required twist rate to keep is stable. A late model .223 will have a 1 in 7" twist rate. This is required to keep the small diameter, fast moving bullet stable. Both the .308 and 30-06 is going to have a twist rate well into the teens. It simply won't keep the bullet stable, and out past 100 yards it is going to start tumbling end over end.

One thing to think about, the actual bullet doesn't receive any engraving from the rifle bore. So they would be a tricky thing forensically. I suppose investigators might find the location where it was fired, and look around for the carrier sabot. Which may or may not be of any value for evidence.
If that's your concern, use buckshot.

That said, bullet forensics have been heavily debunked. Much of what used to be considered "solid science" has been proved to be hokum.

I've pinned the above link to keep it handy. I've toyed around with getting some of these to try out but haven't made the move yet. Apparently there is load data for almost all the 30 calibers, including 300 Weatherby Magnum. Some crazy velocities listed...

They don't work well at all. The problem is that the smaller the bullet, the faster the required twist rate to keep is stable. A late model .223 will have a 1 in 7" twist rate. This is required to keep the small diameter, fast moving bullet stable. Both the .308 and 30-06 is going to have a twist rate well into the teens. It simply won't keep the bullet stable, and out past 100 yards it is going to start tumbling end over end.
1/10 .308 twist is common/ standard.
Original M16 twist was 1/14.. accurate and deadly.
What you say makes no sense at all.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads