JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Demoted?!

Wouldn't that be deemed as theft? Most employers that I know of would consider that as grounds for immediate termination.

I'm sure it would be difficult to prove, but one might presume that he may have also been looking to sell some on the side for pocket money. At today's 2nd-hand prices; that is a chunk-of-change right there.

Again I ALWAYS am suspect with anything called "news" but, if this is really how it happened sounds like he got off easy. Could have been considered out right theft. Makes me wonder if he was planning on selling it to friends???

Demoted after stealing ammo from the department? How is he not fired?

Well, if we're going to start tossing theories and guesses around.

A ranking veteran in a sheriff's department would have plenty of "dirt" on his colleagues.
If this happens to be one of those less than boy scout agencies, maybe he's being treated exactly the way we should expect.

Last Edited:
Another dirty cop. At current prices that's about $3000 worth of ammo at least.

Theft of anything over $1000 is typically felony theft. If I took home $3000 worth of goods from work without authorization, I would be fired, arrested and charged.

Demoted?!

Wouldn't that be deemed as theft? Most employers that I know of would consider that as grounds for immediate termination.

I'm sure it would be difficult to prove, but one might presume that he may have also been looking to sell some on the side for pocket money. At today's 2nd-hand prices; that is a chunk-of-change right there.

Sheriff Grady Judd would have fired and arrested him, then come out on TV and tell all about it.

Last Edited:
Another dirty cop. At current prices that's about $3000 worth of ammo at least.

Theft of anything over $1000 is typically felony theft. If I took home $3000 worth of goods from work without authorization, I would be fired, arrested and charged.
Theft of something like that from a place as such would be considered at cost value, which 5k 9mm probably cost them about $750.

Just cause some prick wants $600 for 1K and some schmuck wants to pay them for it, doesn't make that item that valuable.
Don't drink the koolaid!

I will say that either the guy had no ammo at home and wanted to be able to shoot on his free time regularly without being extorted, or he planned to sell it on the side. Either way I don't see how this is at all news worthy. Guess it's not that big a deal when you're not desperately fighting people every ammo shipment that comes into your local sporting goods store.

Well, the pay cut must be significant from rank, sergeant to deputy. Article did not say if ammo was spent or returned, maybe if returned, I can see why the demotion.

If a janitor/custodian had been caught stealing $750 worth of cleaning supplies for their personal use from the sherriff's department, my guess is the punishment would amount to more than a "demotion"...
It seems fair to me to expect at a minimum, the same level of accountibilty from law enforcement officers.

If this happened in Seattle, he could make a case for removing it from a precinct to safe storage off site to ensure availability for the next riot. Possibly preventing it from falling into the wrong hands the next time they have to abandon the station...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top