JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not a native Oregonian, have lived in and purchased firearms in at least 3 other states. Do have a CHL, and not so much as a speeding ticket…

Not necessarily a unique name, but certainly not a "common name". I've always been an instant check as far back as I can remember. Even this past Monday…
Likewise, it drives my buddies NUTS! Dude told me yesterday that he want me to buy a gun simply to see if I get instant approval this go around or not. I'm guessing I would...

Nope! Clearly (for males) it's all based on wiener size… which I suppose for some can be affected by which way the wind is blowing.

Ahem…

And for the record, my approvals happen before I even get to the FFL to buy something!
Great. Now I'll have to edit my earlier post.

8. Penial rank..........magnum.

-E-

Born in Portland.

Lived in Washington and idaho

CHL

I have an uncommon name

No criminal background record

Fairly handsome ( what I assume leads to an instant approval)

For the last 10 years that I've made firearms purchases. Out of the 30+ guns purchased. I have always cleared instant

I purchased a g20 last weekend from bimart. Thousands in both ques . I was out the door 15-20 minutes with the g20 after filling out the 4473

Not born anywhere near the PNW.

Moved here in 2013 when I retired from the Marines.

Lived in 7 different states and 5 country's.

Security clearance at the uppermost level.

Was placed on the no fly list after 911 as was my boss (3 star).

Common last name.

Use my SSN.

CHL since 2015.

Instant approval every time!

Just curious: my theory is that Instant Approvals are people with unusual names who have only ever lived in Oregon. I'm basing this on my friend and I both have unusual names, I have my CCW and he does not, I've never received an Instant and he almost always does. I've lived in multiple states and he's a native Oregonian.

Anyone know or have a better theory?
I am native Oregonian, but I lived/worked in the Seattle area for 25 years.

I do have an extremely unique name - maybe 25-50 people in the USA have the same first and last name and all of them are probably the opposite gender to me - I doubt anyone has the same middle name as I do (it is a very unique family name my mother decided to pass down for some reason I don't understand while my brothers got conventional middle names like "Gene" and "Wayne").

Anyway, that and my SSN has usually resulted in a fairly quick approval (I don't have a CHL) - of less than 30 minutes, although once it took several hours - usually the approval happened almost instantly. I have military service and later a DoD Secret clearance with no issues.

It is all just theory - I would have to be privy to the inner workings of the OSP systems to understand what works and what doesn't, and I would think that the OSP doesn't want anyone outside the system to know how it works - for various reasons.

The secret to success is pineapples on your pizza
That is heresy!

Pineapple-pizza-meme.jpeg

Doing privet transfers/sales etc is not my MO with my FFL, I am an 07/02, manufacturing is my focus building items marketed to LE. But with the current state of things I have been helping those that I know get what they want before the deadline. (07 FFL can do everything an 01 FFL dealer can, but also actually make firearms/NFA items to some degree)

This week:
Every CHL holder but one cleared in minutes, one fell into the Que but put in the 4000's vrs the back of the line at that time in the 20,000's. However that was a privet party transfer vrs. New purchase.

The crappy one was the retired LE, that still trains with his department and has his LE card so no need for CHL. Ya since no CHL he went back of the bus in the que. And he is probably the most cleared and proven person to LE than anyone. He knew it was going to be that way.

No idea just how OSP's system decides.

Lifetime Oregon resident, multiple instant approvals over the years, SSN, CHL, uncommon last name, same residence for nearly 20 years, 5+ years since my last infraction on the road. In queue.... 😔

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top