JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just curious: my theory is that Instant Approvals are people with unusual names who have only ever lived in Oregon. I'm basing this on my friend and I both have unusual names, I have my CCW and he does not, I've never received an Instant and he almost always does. I've lived in multiple states and he's a native Oregonian.

Anyone know or have a better theory?

It's all about that YouTube algorithm
You're probably closer than you think. I submit credit applications to a large lender and auto approvals are decided by computer algorithms and human eyes never see the application. If any issues come up or any incorrect info is present the computer sends it on to an actual credit analyst. I'd imagine the NICS process works in a similar way with CHL being the first qualifier. It's not about preferential treatment. It's about algorithms to cut down on man hours spent.

Used to think NFA items and a CHL helped
I don't think it's that either. I'm a native Oregonian, moved to Hawaii for five years. Since returning, I've gotten a tax stamp, CHL reinstated and it's pretty pretty random whether or not I get an instant. I'm wondering if it's more along the lines of the FFL typing everything in verbatim to your ODL. For example, if the FFL adds a period after the ST or DR.

After my last CHL renewal it's been an absolute poop show. I could flip a coin and have better odds.

Not a native Oregonian, have lived in and purchased firearms in at least 3 other states. Do have a CHL, and not so much as a speeding ticket…

Not necessarily a unique name, but certainly not a "common name". I've always been an instant check as far back as I can remember. Even this past Monday…

Not a native Oregonian, have lived in and purchased firearms in at least 3 other states. Do have a CHL, and not so much as a speeding ticket…

Not necessarily a unique name, but certainly not a "common name". I've always been an instant check as far back as I can remember. Even this past Monday…
OK, well that definitely blows up my theory...good to know!

Done several federal bgc for employment, cwp, nfa, somewhat uncommon first and last name, ss# and never an instant unless no q. Wife on the other hand. Only way she could get a more common name would be if her last name was Smith. Instant approval. FML

All I know is I'm an Oregon native. Uncommon last name. Always use my CHL. Always use my SSN. Have NFA items and used to have clearances in the military. Used to have LE creds. Only one speeding ticket. I've never waited longer than 10 minutes. And that includes the 2 guns I bought last week and the 1 I bought yesterday……

Just curious: my theory is that Instant Approvals are people with unusual names who have only ever lived in Oregon. I'm basing this on my friend and I both have unusual names, I have my CCW and he does not, I've never received an Instant and he almost always does. I've lived in multiple states and he's a native Oregonian.

Anyone know or have a better theory?
Nope. Instant approval many, many times and I am not someone who has just lived in Oregon. My name is uncommon, but not like my grandfather's. (literally as best as we can tell he is the only one with his name ever) I have lived in NC, CA, IL, OR, TX and have had permanent addresses in GA and FL at times. I have not gotten within 15 minutes 3x. No tickets on my record other than a traffic camera when I turned right on red over a decade ago.Have bought guns in CA and probably another state at some point.

Chinese must love me...

Citizen since 2005. Lot of background checks working abroad.
Not unusual first or last but odd middle name.
Use my SSN. Zero record/tickets.

Never longer than 15 mins, including today.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top