JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Quoting my own post.

Ergo, to some extent, the Clinton Ban accelerated the proliferation of AR's. Two dynamics: (1) forbidden fruit concept, and (2) monkey-see, monkey do.

The 20 year sunset was a mistake, but at the time was likely a compromise to get it passed. The sunset caused the demand dam to burst, plus probably many people were afraid that another ban would be put in place to deny them further.
10 year sunset- '94-'04... From AXIOS- "It was passed with a 10-year "sunset provision" in place, meaning it would automatically expire in 2004 unless it was renewed with another vote. The ban called for a federal criminal code "to prohibit the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon."

Well said. Now, I should buy several more AR and AK "platform" rifles- with standard capacity mags and case upon case of ammunition.
I think one and done for each able bodied man, woman, or child is sufficient. Everybody wants more but you can't fire and maneuver with them all at once. When the zombies come they will come in rippled waves. You might thwart a passing squall or two but it won't take but another who've realized you're defending something worthwhile. Inevitably you'll be forced to advance toward them or advance ahead of them.
It's best to keep one, practice often. It's better to know how to use one and which neighbor brags about how many he has. Store only a little more than you can carry. Practice with any in excess to your hearts content. But know this, anything you cannot carry will be shared with or without your permission. Large caches and armories will be plundered. If you can't be mobile then maybe fortification is the only option. You won't last as long but you may be lucky in that way so give 'em the full 9 yards til then.
Who knows maybe we'll all get lucky and see a bright flash on the horizon or closer still. Either way don't forget to include tanning lotion and sunglasses in your ditch kit.

I think one and done for each able bodied man, woman, or child is sufficient. Everybody wants more but you can't fire and maneuver with them all at once. When the zombies come they will come in rippled waves. You might thwart a passing squall or two but it won't take but another who've realized you're defending something worthwhile. Inevitably you'll be forced to advance toward them or advance ahead of them.
It's best to keep one, practice often. It's better to know how to use one and which neighbor brags about how many he has. Store only a little more than you can carry. Practice with any in excess to your hearts content. But know this, anything you cannot carry will be shared with or without your permission. Large caches and armories will be plundered. If you can't be mobile then maybe fortification is the only option. You won't last as long but you may be lucky in that way so give 'em the full 9 yards til then.
Who knows maybe we'll all get lucky and see a bright flash on the horizon or closer still. Either way don't forget to include tanning lotion and sunglasses in your ditch kit.
I don't have them for the apocalypse or teotwawki or whatever they're calling it now. I have more than one AR because I like different configurations and you should always have enough for guests. What kind of range day would it be if everyone had to wait for "the" AR? :)

As close as I am to Ft Carson and Cheyenne Mountain:eek: I probably won't see the flash- or at least my brain won't have time to register it. I collect for the heck of it, and for the possibility that I might have some trading stock. Obviously I won't be able to carry it all, even in the vehicles. Been prepping more or less since the age of 20- 50 years or so. It an old man's pleasure- kind of like a miser running his fingers thru his gold pile... ;)

If they come to kill you. Be ready to fight. Non-compliance is key. Draw your line in that sand and be confident and ready wherever it is that you stand.

I don't have them for the apocalypse or teotwawki or whatever they're calling it now. I have more than one AR because I like different configurations and you should always have enough for guests. What kind of range day would it be if everyone had to wait for "the" AR? :)
The more the merrier.. I think everyone should have one. If you can afford the passion and expense indulge. For those that want but can't afford… be sure to get this one's address

Just saying having plenty of part to replace when Murphy invariably shows up ;) extractors, springs, BCGs, extra bolts, new firing pins, magazine rebuild kits... because unlike the military and police, you may not be able to have reliable resupply drops or some such. It's the same logic to having replacement consumable parts for certain vehicles like Jeep Wranglers or the older CJs, or any old fullsize truck.. ask any farmland or rancher who has lived long enough to remember the days before internet service calls.

Just saying having plenty of part to replace when Murphy invariably shows up ;) extractors, springs, BCGs, extra bolts, new firing pins, magazine rebuild kits... because unlike the military and police, you may not be able to have reliable resupply drops or some such. It's the same logic to having replacement consumable parts for certain vehicles like Jeep Wranglers or the older CJs, or any old fullsize truck.. ask any farmland or rancher who has lived long enough to remember the days before internet service calls.
I'm all about back ups and contingencies brother. I've a garage full of spare parts and tools for cars older than most. I've never hired a mechanic or asked anyone to do for me because I know I'm smart, resourceful, and tenacious. It's the latter three that will keep you alive. Rifles don't kill people but they don't keep them alive either. You'll never outwit the unknown and the only snake to kill ya is the one you didn't see.

Pack your own kit, you get to hump it. I'm too old for that. A good knife, carbine, beans, bullets, and bandages will get me to the next ORP.
That's funny, I picked up a tiny, very lightweight foldable stove that just fits my titanium cup and put that in the daypack with a bag of fire starters. I was thinking of putting one of those little Bush's Beans (with bacon!) cans with the pop top in the pack. Damn, now I'm hungry...

That's funny, I picked up a tiny, very lightweight foldable stove that just fits my titanium cup and put that in the daypack with a bag of fire starters. I was thinking of putting one of those little Bush's Beans (with bacon!) cans with the pop top in the pack. Damn, now I'm hungry...
I have a feeling your emergency ration would never make it though your lunch break!

Perhaps also worth considering is the idea that AR-15's also represent the militia mentioned in 2A. Complete with deployed hardware and diverse supply-chain.

10 year sunset- '94-'04... From AXIOS- "It was passed with a 10-year "sunset provision" in place, meaning it would automatically expire in 2004 unless it was renewed with another vote.
Yes, you're quite right, I was mistaken and accidentally added a decade even after having lived through it. In 2004, the 108th Congress was in session. There was a GOP majority in both chambers, plus Bush II was in office. There wasn't much chance of renewal of the ban.

The ban called for a federal criminal code "to prohibit the manufacture, transfer, or possession of a semiautomatic assault weapon."
It didn't call for prohibiting possession of existing such firearms that were possessed prior to enactment.

The Clinton "Assault Weapon Ban" was actually a sub-section of the larger Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994. It had a better chance of passage being tucked into a law and order bill. It didn't completely fulfill the aspirations of some anti-gunners. In the 103rd Congress, the Senate had a Dem. majority of 57 seats, yet the AWB passed with only 52 yea votes. So even some Dems voted against it. The grandfather clause was also negotiated.

A bigger deal for gun owners was the McClure-Volkmer bill that was passed in 1986. That one restored mail order ammo sales, which had been banned by the 1968 GCA. I continue to be amazed that we are still able to buy powder and ammo this way, which of course now means online rather than by mail but the commercial concept is the same.

Yes, you're quite right, I was mistaken and accidentally added a decade even after having lived through it. In 2004, the 108th Congress was in session. There was a GOP majority in both chambers, plus Bush II was in office. There wasn't much chance of renewal of the ban.

I recall hearing at the time, the way it was written all it needed in order to continue was the President's signature. Given all the hijinks Bush got up to, I'm a little surprised he didn't.

I recall hearing at the time, the way it was written all it needed in order to continue was the President's signature. Given all the hijinks Bush got up to, I'm a little surprised he didn't.
That being the case, couldn't they have taken it to Obama or even now, Biden, and get it signed? Or was there a sunset on that as well? Serious question, because I've never heard of this provision but I'm not expert in the subject.

Personal opinion. I've always felt that The Ban was kind of a joke. Because not only were existing guns allowed, but we were allowed to buy and sell these existing guns. Yes, it might've slowed down proliferation for the duration of The Ban. But that brings me to the next point.

It's my opinion that The Ban was responsible at least in part for spawning the buying frenzy and explosion of interest that followed expiration of same. Net, there may now be more "assault weapons" in circulation than there otherwise might've been without The Ban. Which I realize is speculative, but it's an idea.

That being the case, couldn't they have taken it to Obama or even now, Biden, and get it signed? Or was there a sunset on that as well? Serious question, because I've never heard of this provision but I'm not expert in the subject.

Personal opinion. I've always felt that The Ban was kind of a joke. Because not only were existing guns allowed, but we were allowed to buy and sell these existing guns. Yes, it might've slowed down proliferation for the duration of The Ban. But that brings me to the next point.

It's my opinion that The Ban was responsible at least in part for spawning the buying frenzy and explosion of interest that followed expiration of same. Net, there may now be more "assault weapons" in circulation than there otherwise might've been without The Ban. Which I realize is speculative, but it's an idea.
No, I was wrong about that. @Nosferatu reminded me that it was up to the Senate to renew it. I think they did have a timeframe, whether it was by Senate rules or specified in the bill, I don't recall, or more likely never knew. I guess the thing I was worried about regarding Bush was that he said he'd sign it if it got to his desk. The prick.

So-called "assault weapons" proliferated DURING the Ban... minor and reversible changes were made to production and imported weapons to get around or under The Ban. I still have one AR-15 which was mounted with a "recoil suppressor" based on a Russian design for the AK-74, INSTEAD of the standard AR-15 style flash suppressor. It s*cked in that it sent the muzzle-blast sideways and backwards toward the shooter and anyone standing next to him. Other changes were made as well, such as stock design incorporating the pistol grip and butt-stock into one piece not easily replaced. We can figure that the Grabbers know this and will reflect this in any up-coming legislation.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top