JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
NVM... transferee...

NVM... transferee...
If I was a gunsmith, I would do the following. I would increase my secure storage capacity since I might be sitting on a lot more firearms for a longer length of time. I would also charge the estimated cost of repairs up front rather than requiring customers to have a permit to purchase when dropping off the firearms. If the repairs come in under estimate, customer will get a refund. If repair cost go over estimate, I would collect the difference when the customer was finally able to pick up their firearm. Gunsmiths are just going to be another train car in the pile up.

If I was a gunsmith, I would do the following. I would increase my secure storage capacity since I might be sitting on a lot more firearms for a longer length of time. I would also charge the estimated cost of repairs up front rather than requiring customers to have a permit to purchase when dropping off the firearms. If the repairs come in under estimate, customer will get a refund. If repair cost go over estimate, I would collect the difference when the customer was finally able to pick up their firearm. Gunsmiths are just going to be another train car in the pile up.
Personally, I wouldn't be putting anything you might want back into a gunsmith until they announce a firm date determination for permits. The permit itself not being the biggest concern to me, but the fact that it's not likely many smaller shops are going to survive 114 if it's around long. How do you get your firearm back from a gunsmith that is no longer in business and sold off all his shelf contents to an out of state FFL?

You honestly think they are going to maintain their licenses and pay to store other peoples property indefinately?

Personally, I wouldn't be putting anything you might want back into a gunsmith until they announce a firm date determination for permits. The permit itself not being the biggest concern to me, but the fact that it's not likely many smaller shops are going to survive 114 if it's around long. How do you get your firearm back from a gunsmith that is no longer in business and sold off all his shelf contents to an out of state FFL?
Good point!

If others feel the same way as you do, that may expedite the closing of gunsmith shops. I would think that it might be safer to leave a firearm with a longtime respected gunsmith like @Velzey . Maybe he could chime in on how he might handle the situation of returning firearms, if he was run out of business by Measure 114 and OSP was not doing background checks?

Last Edited:
Like kali gun regulations 114 will drive many lgs out of business. If folks want to get ahead of the game and not get caught in lines then study the history of kali gun legislation. Pretty much tells you the next steps and what to buy now to enjoy life later.

Cynical that I am kali has ups and downs on their mag bans so when they say it's alright to buy folks buy with a credit card and the state then knows you have a gun and magazines.

It's fine to buy what you can today before getting in the new data base, but ask yourself what the new data base will be used for?

Funny you mentioned the pawn shops. I talked with a pawn shop yesterday and they think it won't impact returning a pawned gun back to owner. I disagree but I didn't want to argue with them.
This already affected me a few years ago, un-pawning my ABC'd (already background checked) boomstick. It cost me $100 MORE* as OSP told me I had several arrests, "looks like one is for a felony!" I was so shocked I didn't ask them, "uh, the law says convictions, does it not??"

So yes, when they delay you, YOU will be footing the bill.

** It was $110, as they made me pay for another background check while they "figured it out."

Last Edited:
I hope we have constitutional carry classifieds here.

I don't believe in punishing the majority for the actions of the minority.

That's how we ended up with endless gun laws to start with.
Doubt any of us do. These laws do fool a lot of the "useful idiots" but, law makers? They know full well they will not do what they claim. EVERY law maker pushing new gun laws also push letting scrum criminals free. If they do not want criminals off the streets, just guns from the law abiding, pretty easy to see what they are really after. Sadly too many gun owners keep giving them just what they want. :(

Doubt any of us do. These laws do fool a lot of the "useful idiots" but, law makers? They know full well they will not do what they claim. EVERY law maker pushing new gun laws also push letting scrum criminals free. If they do not want criminals off the streets, just guns from the law abiding, pretty easy to see what they are really after. Sadly too many gun owners keep giving them just what they want. :(
I get it. But you don't stop a flooding bathtub by turning up the water.

It's going to take a serious flush and a major event to change the course this country is one. Life is still way too good for people to upset the norm.

I get it. But you don't stop a flooding bathtub by turning up the water.

It's going to take a serious flush and a major event to change the course this country is one. Life is still way too good for people to upset the norm.
I hear that and I will go down swinging but, sadly many gun owners threw in the towel. Bad enough that they did they try to get others to do the same thing. We keep losing but I will never stop fighting. Ever new take away I keep "hoping" it will wake up the bunch that will not listen but so far nothing. Tempted to move to ID as have a kid there but even that is a short term "fix" as they are of course filling with the same problem. I guess one day people will look back and say freedom was sure nice when we had it sadly.

I hear that and I will go down swinging but, sadly many gun owners threw in the towel. Bad enough that they did they try to get others to do the same thing. We keep losing but I will never stop fighting. Ever new take away I keep "hoping" it will wake up the bunch that will not listen but so far nothing. Tempted to move to ID as have a kid there but even that is a short term "fix" as they are of course filling with the same problem. I guess one day people will look back and say freedom was sure nice when we had it sadly.
"If it just saves ONE life..." was the cry for the longest time. Our society has become rich, fat and soft enough to have the luxury of being able to allow the weakest to flourish and more importantly, influence policy that affects everyone.

All you can do is keep voting, fight where you can and keep on living your life according to your instilled values. There's still a lot worth living for, no matter how bleak the details might look when zoomed in.

Like kali gun regulations 114 will drive many lgs out of business. If folks want to get ahead of the game and not get caught in lines then study the history of kali gun legislation. Pretty much tells you the next steps and what to buy now to enjoy life later.

Cynical that I am kali has ups and downs on their mag bans so when they say it's alright to buy folks buy with a credit card and the state then knows you have a gun and magazines.

It's fine to buy what you can today before getting in the new data base, but ask yourself what the new data base will be used for?

Ummm…. target practice, I reckon.

This law is a trainwreck. If it didn't already wake up the apathetic gun owners and fudds with fingers in their ears, then I am not sure what will. I don't hold a lot of hope for the future of this state. The fact that some continue to arrogantly proclaim that they don't care because it won't affect them, defines the term "useful idiot". Pain is a motivator. But it seems we also have too many masochists in Oregon, and the gun community.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews