JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
For those who may not have known, as JackRV said, LEVO did not write this. It was worked out by anti-gun lawyers to do exactly what it appears; kill the gun sales businesses in Oregon. AND, it was financed primarily by several out-of-state organizations.
So, in case you don't see the writing on the wall; we and Oregon are the test bed for a whole new anti-gun approach.

Guns are not necessary for a Constitutional Republic to function?

Mmmmkaaaay.
Did you not read the very last part of my statement...? I'm implying that there aren't enough LEO to really enforce anything at all if everyone doesn't play along simultaneously, exactly like they would if cars were "banned." Gotta read the whole book before writing your report, dude

For those who may not have known, as JackRV said, LEVO did not write this. It was worked out by anti-gun lawyers to do exactly what it appears; kill the gun sales businesses in Oregon. AND, it was financed primarily by several out-of-state organizations.
So, in case you don't see the writing on the wall; we and Oregon are the test bed for a whole new anti-gun approach.
Oregon has been the test bed for decades on democrat politics. Lived here 70 years and what starts in Oregon is then used all over the nation.
Endangered species was used in destroying the northwest economy with the spotted owl. The effects studied then used all over the USA when they wanted an area a voting block destroyed.

On to mail in ballots, voted in first by Oregon and since voted in we have had one party rule. Mail in ballots are being used to destroy the mid terms right now...and our gun rights.

I could go on but WTF it doesn't matter if folks see it plain as day as it will still happen.

I'm considering putting a big sign on my truck tailgate;

"IF YOU VOTED 'YES' ON MEASURE 114, BECAUSE YOU THOUGHT IT WOULD REDUCE CRIME;
YOU ARE NOT IGNORANT OR UNINFORMED, YOU ARE GULLIBLE AND STUPID!"​

Last Edited:
"How will this effect Gunsmiths will you have to have a permit to pickup your firearm being worked on?"

These exemptions are present in Measure 114:

(D) To a transferee who is in the business of repairing firearms, for the time during which the firearm is being repaired;

(E) To a transferee who is in the business of making or repairing custom accessories for firearms, for the time during which
the accessories are being made or repaired; or
A gunsmith I saw this week says YES YOU WILL NEED A PERMIT TO LEAVE A FIREARM WITH HIM.
I think you read the measure wrong. My voters pamphlet is long gone, but I distinctly remember reading that a permit is indeed needed to leave a firearm with a gunsmith. Read it again.

Back on the OP though. I have no idea what would be proposed for us peons to do that would either make a difference to how smooth or how much worse the transition of 114 will be. As if we actually have any bearing on any part of it's implementation??

It'll be what they make it... the consequences will follow how they will... we'll have to deal with it in whatever personal way we choose... end of story.

Or am I missing something?

A gunsmith I saw this week says YES YOU WILL NEED A PERMIT TO LEAVE A FIREARM WITH HIM.
I think you read the measure wrong. My voters pamphlet is long gone, but I distinctly remember reading that a permit is indeed needed to leave a firearm with a gunsmith. Read it again.
The permit to purchase will be needed for the person taking possession of the firearm not the person giving up the firearm. In the case of a Gunsmith, they are exempt and will not need a permit to receive your firearm. You will likely need a permit to purchase when you go to retrieve your firearm from the Gunsmith.

If a gunsmith is requiring a customer to have a permit to purchase before you can drop off a firearm with him, that is his choice but not required by law. He may have that policy so he doesn't get stuck sitting on firearms that customers can't pick up because they don't have permits?

The permit to purchase will be needed for the person taking possession of the firearm not the person giving up the firearm. In the case of a Gunsmith, they are exempt and will not need a permit to receive your firearm. You will likely need a permit to purchase when you go to retrieve your firearm from the Gunsmith.

If a gunsmith is requiring a customer to have a permit to purchase before you can drop off a firearm with him, that is his choice but not required by law. He may have that policy so he doesn't get stuck sitting on firearms that customers can't pick up because they don't have permits?
Or like too many FFL's and gunsmiths... they are just completely ignorant of the laws and/or regulations. Some of the wackiest BS I''ve heard about what the "laws" are have come from the lips of those you would "think" would be in the know simply to operate their business. Not so.

From the exceptions in 114, my read on it was that you may be exempted in certain situations from having to present a purchase permit... however... that doesn't exempt you from having to do a BGC to retake possession... as was previously required in some situations. They are not one in the same or mutually exclusive.

The above mentioned gunsmith.. I would say... "dumbass!" (certainly wouln't want him touching my gear). 🤪 And as stated..."his choice but not required by law".

Or like too many FFL's and gunsmiths... they are just completely ignorant of the laws and/or regulations. Some of the wackiest BS I''ve heard about what the "laws" are have come from the lips of those you would "think" would be in the know simply to operate their business. Not so.

From the exceptions in 114, my read on it was that you may be exempted in certain situations from having to present a purchase permit... however... that doesn't exempt you from having to do a BGC to retake possession... as was previously required in some situations. They are not one in the same or mutually exclusive.

The above mentioned gunsmith.. I would say... "dumbass!" (certainly wouln't want him touching my gear). 🤪 And as stated..."his choice but not required by law".
I can see the Gunsmith's point about having the policy of requiring customers to have a permit to purchase when dropping off a firearm. I am guessing a Gunsmith typically gets final payment or maybe all the payment for his work, when the customer picks up their firearm. If people don't have, can't get, etc, a permit to purchase and the Gunsmith can't get paid for all his work, that could cause problems for his business. It's not the law though, just his policy.

I can see the Gunsmith's point about having the policy of requiring customers to have a permit to purchase when dropping off a firearm. I am guessing a Gunsmith typically gets final payment or maybe all the payment for his work, when the customer picks up their firearm. If people don't have, can't get, etc, a permit to purchase and the Gunsmith can't get paid for all his work, that could cause problems for his business. It's not the law though, just his policy.
Been a LONG time since I worked with one but, it used to be a Smith if he was keeping a gun past closing, so he was going to keep it over night so to speak, he had to enter the gun in his bound book, then release it back to the customer. So if this has not changed I can see where the permit is going to come in here. This is assuming I am remembering it correctly and its still the way the law works for a Smith with an FFL.

Been a LONG time since I worked with one but, it used to be a Smith if he was keeping a gun past closing, so he was going to keep it over night so to speak, he had to enter the gun in his bound book, then release it back to the customer. So if this has not changed I can see where the permit is going to come in here. This is assuming I am remembering it correctly and its still the way the law works for a Smith with an FFL.
I believe you are right. I have heard that if they return it the same day it doesn't need to go in their book but if they keep it overnight it does and if it hits their book they will have to request a background check to return it to you. I have heard that manufactures can be exempt, under Federal law, from this requirement. For example if you send a firearm to the manufacture for repair they can send it back directly to you. Not sure if that works in Oregon or not? If you send a firearm to Bubba's Gunsmithing in Kentucky, Bubba can't send the firearm directly back to you.

I believe you are right. I have heard that if they return it the same day it doesn't need to go in their book but if they keep it overnight it does and if it hits their book they will have to request a background check to return it to you. I have heard that manufactures can be exempt, under Federal law, from this requirement. For example if you send a firearm to the manufacture for repair they can send it back directly to you. Not sure if that works in Oregon or not? If you send a firearm to Bubba's Gunsmithing in Kentucky, Bubba can't send the firearm directly back to you.
That will certainly keep the gang banging scum from shooting the place up and keep everyone safe 🤬

What is the next car going to be in the pile up?

I haven't heard too much from retailers both online and local as to when they are going to quit selling Standard Capacity (10+) mags?

What date will local retailers pull them from shelves?

What date will forum masters decide they shouldn't be listed in their classifieds?

What date will online retailers stop shipping them?

Which stores will sell repair parts, magazine bodies, springs, floor plates, followers, etc after the measure takes effect?

These train cars are all going to hit the pile up sooner or later but when is the question?

What is the next car going to be in the pile up?

I haven't heard too much from retailers both online and local as to when they are going to quit selling Standard Capacity (10+) mags?

What date will local retailers pull them from shelves?

What date will forum masters decide they shouldn't be listed in their classifieds?

What date will online retailers stop shipping them?

Which stores will sell repair parts, magazine bodies, springs, floor plates, followers, etc after the measure takes effect?

These train cars are all going to hit the pile up sooner or later but when is the question?
Guessing the mags will follow the way we did it here. Stores were selling them until the cut off if they had any left. On line same I heard. I did not try to order any as I had mine but was told the big guys were selling them to us until the cut off. So guessing OR will now be added to that list you see when you go to order stuff like this as places they can not ship too. As for "parts" that will be an interesting one to watch. Suspect few if any will be willing to sell the bodies as that would be sure to get the OR AG's office attention. Guessing for now they will not care about the rest. Even this would most likely be low on priority list. I am pretty sure the places that sell them will just add OR to the do not list for the bodies anyway. One easy way to check would be find a place that sells them now, check and see if it has some states listed as can't ship too. If they do you know OR will be getting added to that list.

Guessing the mags will follow the way we did it here. Stores were selling them until the cut off if they had any left. On line same I heard. I did not try to order any as I had mine but was told the big guys were selling them to us until the cut off. So guessing OR will now be added to that list you see when you go to order stuff like this as places they can not ship too. As for "parts" that will be an interesting one to watch. Suspect few if any will be willing to sell the bodies as that would be sure to get the OR AG's office attention. Guessing for now they will not care about the rest. Even this would most likely be low on priority list. I am pretty sure the places that sell them will just add OR to the do not list for the bodies anyway. One easy way to check would be find a place that sells them now, check and see if it has some states listed as can't ship too. If they do you know OR will be getting added to that list.
I am mostly wondering what retailers will use as a cut off date, as there seems to be numerous different interpretations as to what that date is?

I am mostly wondering what retailers will use as a cut off date, as there seems to be numerous different interpretations as to what that date is?
Should by next week be able to see what on line says. Brick and mortar will I am sure be cleaned out of stock LONG before they need to worry about it. I hear the Que to buy is getting quite long so you know people who did not prepare will panic buy every damn mag the stores have in stock and most will not try to order more as they don't want to get stuck with stuff they then can't sell.

Should by next week be able to see what on line says. Brick and mortar will I am sure be cleaned out of stock LONG before they need to worry about it. I hear the Que to buy is getting quite long so you know people who did not prepare will panic buy every damn mag the stores have in stock and most will not try to order more as they don't want to get stuck with stuff they then can't sell.
I hope we have constitutional carry classifieds here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top