JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wanted to personally send a Thank-You, to everyone that has sent me referrals by PM and on this thread.

Some of it has made me realize some of my technical skill sets would have benifited with an engineering degree (or degree of any kind for that matter) and that the jobs my skills are still relevant in (electrical/telecom/cunstruction) require more physical ability then I currently have - still not able to squat all the way down.

I'm still looking for light duty work, either in an office or some other job driving to job sites or whatever is out there.

Having gained a good amount of weight since my last office job, I'm in 42's and all my dress clothes are 38's) I am looking for an informal position and if at all possible, closer to the west side of Vancouver - although if the pay makes up for it then travel to Beaverton or Gresham isn't out of the question.

I'm not much of a salesman, although I have great customer service skills and the ability to learn any job they are willing to take a bit of time to teach me.

Being at home for 6 years with the last 2 helping run a good chunk of programming at a 7k person convention either is setting me back or I've just been unlucky with my job applications so far.

Thought I had a couple in the bag but I've not heard back from any of them yet - although my wife keep telling me it's not like it used to be and to keep at it.

Joe, have you looked into occupational therapy? Such as they have through PCC? I'm not sure how you get into these programs, but my company has had several interns sent in from PCC. We essentially train them on the job to do things like estimating. The way it works with the PCC program, which is tied in with the state of OR, just as an example (yes, I do know you're a WA resident) is the program pays their salary for a year, meaning it's free to the company. After that year, the company has an option to pick up another 6 months at half-salary. After that, they have the option to hire them outright or they can go apply at another company. It's a benefit to the company to do these programs because that first year is free to them. I've personally trained one of these interns and am about to be assigned another.

Joe, have you looked into occupational therapy? Such as they have through PCC? I'm not sure how you get into these programs, but my company has had several interns sent in from PCC. We essentially train them on the job to do things like estimating. The way it works with the PCC program, which is tied in with the state of OR, just as an example (yes, I do know you're a WA resident) is the program pays their salary for a year, meaning it's free to the company. After that year, the company has an option to pick up another 6 months at half-salary. After that, they have the option to hire them outright or they can go apply at another company. It's a benefit to the company to do these programs because that first year is free to them. I've personally trained one of these interns and am about to be assigned another.

If I were a smarter man, I would have done that while my wife was finishing college but my daughter was in a high stress high school program so I didn't have the time.

Or I would have done that these last two years but with my gut issues now under control but not really back then it didn't seem feasible. Those things would have been easy to get into without a lot of money but now that my wife's been working for a year + we do not qualify for the cheaper options anymore and she barely pays the bills at the moment.

Unfortunately, the best things for me to do are not really an option unless they are paying me a salery and my wife was very involved with both of the colleges on this side of the border and interning counts for credits but is not a paid program.

Once I get working my plan is to start taking suplimentary classes and work towards a degree while working but I have to get working sooner then later if possible.

I was already cutting it a bit close for my liking when I had a few job offers that started at the beginning of August before I wrecked my knee, and am now 3 months later not in as good of shape.

I do appreciate the idea though and will see if maybe the unemployment office has anything like that.

On a side note, I just can't bring myself to apply for a school bus driver - I don't think I am better then that or anything but I just have too many fears about possibly hurting a child that does something erratic. It's bad enough driving a car though my neighborhood when school starts or ends for the day and I just don't think I have the required mindset for it.

Have you checked out Amazon? They are growing like a damn weed.

I will look but most of the positions are warehouse last time I heard so that would be a bit too much for my knee for at least another couple months.

Good idea!

Costco, Home Depot and places like that all require to much standing or walking for me right now. I've only been cleared to walk for maybe 2 weeks and am wrecked at the end of the day just doing daily house chores without crutches.

I knew a guy that always had a dream of being a school bus driver. he had a couple different careers, finally retired and really looked forward to driving the bus. I'm not sure he lasted a week, it was that bad.

Amazon is hiring delivery drivers like crazy. They have purchased all the available inventory of ford, dodge and now Nissan 1/2 ton vans and they are literally everywhere now with the prime delivery service.

I'm pretty gun shy about reinjury so I may be taking things too slowly but I've been out of commission for over 3 months and most likely won't be without a cane for another month so I'm am keenly aware of trying to build the muscle but not to the point of pain.

I always appreciate the reminder though - It is almost worse now that I can do some things but not all that I want vs couch bound and not able to do anything, for me at least.

The biggest problem for me was walking normally for a couple weeks and thinking I was all healed up. And remember mine was just an injury without TKA surgery.

Jogged a block to feed an expired parking meter and paid for that big time. Tripping on the strap of my backpack in the dark and falling was another big setback. And there was the time I fell asleep with my leg off the side of the bed, woke and jumped up to get going not realizing my leg was sound asleep/ numb. I lay there wedged between the bed and dresser for 5 min crying and laughing. Another stupid re-injury.

I'm back to commuting on my bicycle and carefully jogging 100yd at a shot once a day. 5-6 mile hikes are fine if I pay attention to the elevation ratings (easy/moderate/strenuous). I need to build more knee and hip strength before I do the Saddle Mountain trail again. Steep technical downhills are by far the most demanding.

Well, I asked for any leads a few months ago before my knee broke and am on the mend quickly - doing all my PT but not pushing it to the point of needing meds;).

I have a convention to volunteer at just before Halloween so between being done with that and at the rate I am recouperating I am planning to start sending resumes on Nov 1st.

From my last thread I was PM'ed a good foot in the door but do not want to put all of my eggs in one basket, so I thought I would toss this out and see if anything new had popped up or maybe someone new will have a lead for me.

I'll be blanketing sites that help hire but it's always been my experience that a personal reference or refferal is much better then adding my resume to a stack of 200 people.

I have too many skills and experience to list it all here nor is it productive with some of my specialties.

Let's just say I've done everything from electrician to project manager work and know my way around tools and an office.

I'm almost 40 and recovering from knee surgery and DTI (blood clots from the surgery) so total grunt work is off the table.

I was making 28/hour at 60-80 hours a week at my last job but do not expect to walk right back into that pay or job but am capable of it if it's there.

I'm also looking for something a decent chunk over minimum wage - even if I have to start Lower and build up too it.

Located in NW Vancouver and long commutes would have to be financially worth it.

If you think you may have something it would be easier in a PM then to do a back and forth on this thread.

Thanks for even reading this,

Joe

EDIT: Background and UA's are not and issue nor is my driving record and I have a CWP in OR and WA so I should be good to go unless the job requires a specific costly or time consuming license.

P.S. I don't mind answering simple questions about my qualifications to narrow things down on the thread but don't want to have full on conversations if I can avoid it unless it's private (I don't want someone to get the idea that I can 'only do XX jobs', I have a vast array of job skills).

here you go...

Transition Manager (change management)
USA-Oregon-Beaverton
[email protected]

This is12-month contract opportunity at our customer site, a leading company in Beaverton, OR.

Job Description:

HR Comments: We are also looking for a true TM person. Our ideal candidate would be skilled in change management

The nature of the work is focused on defining tools and processes to support overall organizational excellence in program/project management and process definition.

Transition Management: Drive TM principles and methodology across medium to large regional or global initiatives Training and Awareness Building: Lead and develop training materials to support Change and Transition and act as content provider for training materials related to transition management

Communication: Develop the TM communication strategy and communication plan for specific initiatives to generate momentum, raise awareness and influence behaviors across the organization

Align on best practices with other Transition Managers and stay abreast of external best practices through active participation in Global TM network, forums, etc

Act as an internal consultant on transition management strategy/deliverables for regional or global strategic change initiatives

Skills:

8 or more years in Transition Management. Typical Office: This is a typical office job, with no special physical requirements or unusual work environment.

Education:

Typically requires a Bachelors Degree and minimum of 5 or 6 years directly relevant work experience Note: One of the following alternatives may be accepted: PhD or Law + 3 yrs; Masters + 4 yrs; Associates degree + 6 yrs; High School + 7 yrs.

I knew a guy that always had a dream of being a school bus driver. he had a couple different careers, finally retired and really looked forward to driving the bus. I'm not sure he lasted a week, it was that bad.

Amazon is hiring delivery drivers like crazy. They have purchased all the available inventory of ford, dodge and now Nissan 1/2 ton vans and they are literally everywhere now with the prime delivery service.

I'm surprised my school bus driver in the 1960's didn't thrash a few of us. We would've deserved it.

Last Edited:
here you go...

Transition Manager (change management)
USA-Oregon-Beaverton
[email protected]

This is12-month contract opportunity at our customer site, a leading company in Beaverton, OR.

Job Description:

HR Comments: We are also looking for a true TM person. Our ideal candidate would be skilled in change management

The nature of the work is focused on defining tools and processes to support overall organizational excellence in program/project management and process definition.

Transition Management: Drive TM principles and methodology across medium to large regional or global initiatives Training and Awareness Building: Lead and develop training materials to support Change and Transition and act as content provider for training materials related to transition management

Communication: Develop the TM communication strategy and communication plan for specific initiatives to generate momentum, raise awareness and influence behaviors across the organization

Align on best practices with other Transition Managers and stay abreast of external best practices through active participation in Global TM network, forums, etc

Act as an internal consultant on transition management strategy/deliverables for regional or global strategic change initiatives

Skills:

8 or more years in Transition Management. Typical Office: This is a typical office job, with no special physical requirements or unusual work environment.

Education:

Typically requires a Bachelors Degree and minimum of 5 or 6 years directly relevant work experience Note: One of the following alternatives may be accepted: PhD or Law + 3 yrs; Masters + 4 yrs; Associates degree + 6 yrs; High School + 7 yrs.

I appreciate the direction, unfortunately I lack the required degrees:(.

While I could most likely do the work my work experience would be highly subjective and most likely not even get a toe in the door much less a foot.

Wanted to send out an update and fish for anyone that may not have seen this yet:D.

I have had more then a few people send me personal PM's offering to put their name out for me, and to those people I want to send another huge Thank-You! As well as to all of the people who have had suggestions on this thread.

While I haven't been able to get one job I was really hoping for and had to pass on another great opportunity because of my lack of ability to travel for extended periods while I'm still recovering from my knee surgery (just changed doctors and it was a huge mess, not sure how I can do that and travel but maybe when I'm at 100%...).

In the mean time, I am sending resumes to Ctran, Tri-Met and a list of other long shots but who knows:rolleyes:.

If you happen to know of someone hiring that would fit me right now (I still can't depend 100% on my knee nor get on the floor/squat easily, so light duty work, something where I am not having to stand or walk for 1 hour or more at a time without rest between, full-time, 12+ though closer to the 20's would be nice though I realize I may have to work my way back to the $28-$30's range - I have a wide range of experience and a high IQ so I pick up things very quickly if given the chance) would be really appreciated.

Things aren't like they used to be 20 years ago when I could walk into just about any job and make 50k+ right off the bat and wasn't competing with 200 other people for the job initially... Every interview I have been able to get resulted in an offer, of which I've had a few but they just were not great fits for me and I'm not one to start a job and jump ship as soon as I get a better offer if I can avoid it.

Thanks, again for your time and any leads:cool:

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah Joe the job market is really tough especially in vancouver. There are a TON of people looking and wanting he highest wage possible.

And being your not 100% employers may see a liability (no offense)

You also have to look at reality.
You have a lot of rehab and conditioning to do.
It may be a good idea to get/stay on disability/SSN if you can and do anything possible to get healthy and get stamina back.

Even if you were employers paying $20+ an hour are usually looking for a very specific qualified person.

My work will probably be hiring soon and can start at $19-$20/hr but even for a guy that'/ 100% it takes a lot out of you and many just aren't good at it.
It's high paced facilities maintenance. Jack of all trades kind of deal.
I've been doing it for about 15 years and make a good wage but I've wanted to move into something different for a while but I can't get a job making over $20-$25 an hour without going back to school (can't afford/no time) or at least being trained in a specific job.

So while you want to start out in that range you also have to look at reailty.
Just like the bubble of 2008 bursting. There were a lot of people that lost their jobs making $50k+ and after they couldn't get a job making minimum wage.

I wish you the best of luck and I wosh you a good recovery. But be patient, be positive, and never stop learning.
While your at home rehabing, read. You can do a lot of pre-training by reading books.

Yeah Joe the job market is really tough especially in vancouver. There are a TON of people looking and wanting he highest wage possible.

And being your not 100% employers may see a liability (no offense)

You also have to look at reality.
You have a lot of rehab and conditioning to do.
It may be a good idea to get/stay on disability/SSN if you can and do anything possible to get healthy and get stamina back.

Even if you were employers paying $20+ an hour are usually looking for a very specific qualified person.

My work will probably be hiring soon and can start at $19-$20/hr but even for a guy that'/ 100% it takes a lot out of you and many just aren't good at it.
It's high paced facilities maintenance. Jack of all trades kind of deal.
I've been doing it for about 15 years and make a good wage but I've wanted to move into something different for a while but I can't get a job making over $20-$25 an hour without going back to school (can't afford/no time) or at least being trained in a specific job.

So while you want to start out in that range you also have to look at reailty.
Just like the bubble of 2008 bursting. There were a lot of people that lost their jobs making $50k+ and after they couldn't get a job making minimum wage.

Yea, I have some contacts in the telecom world looking for jobs that would start in the 20's but it's a small world with a lot of the work going to contractors...

I realize $12-14 is probably my max starting wage unless I go back to telecom.

I'm not even hoping for the highest paying job but more looking outside my usual work and trying to find a less physically demanding job. I'm not too old for it but I don't want to be running wires when I'm 55 working in the PNW weather...

Appreciate, the honesty and I've come to understand that I'm not going to make a fraction of what I was at pre home dad days.

I have a lot of data entry and computer skills so I have a few people looking into that as well for me but can't afford to take a couple years to get some of the degrees that some of those jobs require. Nor can I afford the cost of getting a CDL or some other fast training program.

It may just be an issue of waiting until after the beginning off the year when my knee is better and I've dropped a little weight and go back to skilled labor or get my electrical license back.

Figured it wouldn't hurt to keep asking - 90% of my jobs have come from references and it always seems to help to have someone's help getting a foot in the door, I can hold my own after that ;).

Yeah I think were all rooting for your brother.

It': just really tough out there. And there's no personal interaction with applicants anymore.
The only way you'll get a good job is if you know people unfortunately.

My wife and I work for the same place and have both been there for over a decade (where we met) and there's some uncertainty with it's future and right now working for a horrible boss.
We both make pretty good money but with no future or retirement. We're in our late 30s so looking at working until we die.

Since we've been with the same company so long we know if we go anywhere else we are going to take a huge pay cut.
With kids, student loans, and a mortgage taking a cut is not looking good.

So while I have not had the health problems you've had or being out of work, I feel your pain and stress.

We are all pulling for you and hope something will come along soon, and hope your health comes back real soon too.

Just keep a positive attitude and keep working hard everyday to get healthier, and stronger.

Is there anything you can get to help with your strength and conditioning?

If you want any tips for that kind of thing let me know.

Walking and stretching is really all I need to do;).

And time:D.

I will get there, just figured it doesn't hurt to keep asking people I know about job leads:).

No it doesn't and I don't think anyone minds.
You have to keep an eye out and keep everyone you knows eye out.

You never know when someone will hear something or know of an opening.

Keep the stretching up and mobility exercises.
Try using exercise eleastoc bands or even a towel can do.
Youtube is pretty amazing in that aspect. You can find way too much.

But I learned that most phys therapy and drug doctors are full of ish.
Their job is to keep you coming back paying that copy defrauding insurance.

Dealing with back issues I went to a dozen "professionals". With no help at all. I read through dozens and dozens of articles, blogs, youtube vids, and forums before I really started getting answers.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top