JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well, I asked for any leads a few months ago before my knee broke and am on the mend quickly - doing all my PT but not pushing it to the point of needing meds;).

I have a convention to volunteer at just before Halloween so between being done with that and at the rate I am recouperating I am planning to start sending resumes on Nov 1st.

From my last thread I was PM'ed a good foot in the door but do not want to put all of my eggs in one basket, so I thought I would toss this out and see if anything new had popped up or maybe someone new will have a lead for me.

I'll be blanketing sites that help hire but it's always been my experience that a personal reference or refferal is much better then adding my resume to a stack of 200 people.

I have too many skills and experience to list it all here nor is it productive with some of my specialties.

Let's just say I've done everything from electrician to project manager work and know my way around tools and an office.

I'm almost 40 and recovering from knee surgery and DTI (blood clots from the surgery) so total grunt work is off the table.

I was making 28/hour at 60-80 hours a week at my last job but do not expect to walk right back into that pay or job but am capable of it if it's there.

I'm also looking for something a decent chunk over minimum wage - even if I have to start Lower and build up too it.

Located in NW Vancouver and long commutes would have to be financially worth it.

If you think you may have something it would be easier in a PM then to do a back and forth on this thread.

Thanks for even reading this,

Joe

EDIT: Background and UA's are not and issue nor is my driving record and I have a CWP in OR and WA so I should be good to go unless the job requires a specific costly or time consuming license.

P.S. I don't mind answering simple questions about my qualifications to narrow things down on the thread but don't want to have full on conversations if I can avoid it unless it's private (I don't want someone to get the idea that I can 'only do XX jobs', I have a vast array of job skills).

5 People who schedule appointments for the VA PT/OT clinics at The Portland VA
MEDICAL CENTER recently left. The VA is desperate to fill these open positions.
Portland and Vancover VA hospitals. The VA pays well and has great benefits.

Telecommunications field Tech in Cellular before they farmed it all out.

Passed on a job that required travel around the states fixing others issues but would only be home for sure 1 weekend a month and that coincided with my daughter starting high school and I didn't want to miss those years so I took the severance and looked for local work for awhile while my wife went back to college.

Don't know about Washington, but Oregon has a state run resume and job service. You might want to check it out. There were job fairs as well as some pretty comprehensive job listings when I was looking. The VA also offers help with resumes and interview skills. They can also point you to job listings.

Don't know about Washington, but Oregon has a state run resume and job service. You might want to check it out. There were job fairs as well as some pretty comprehensive job listings when I was looking. The VA also offers help with resumes and interview skills. They can also point you to job listings.

Great ideas, but WA fails on that part - at least down south.

95% or more of those state sponsored job links are for King Countyaround Seattle unfortunately and the few available down here get hundreds of resumes.

I'm pretty good with resume and interview skills so that's not much of a concern.

And while I enlisted, I was given a Medical Honorable Discharge with no "active" days so I do not qualify for any VA programs.

Thanks for helping me look for options! Every little bit helps and i never know what I'll find - at least it hasn't hurt to ask:cool:.

Y'all are great folks;)

These might not match was Joe needs - but I'd bet that many of us know people who should be working.

All school districts are hiring - school bus drivers if nothing else. They train so you get a CDL.

UPS is hiring now for Christmas help. A few bucks doesn't hurt.
I expect FedEx and the USPS are doing the same.

Maxim Integrated was running ads on the radio over the weekend. Sounds like 12hr shifts in bunny suits. (only a high school diploma ! )
Careers - Maxim

Call centers like for Comcast (Xfinity)

-- -- -- --
I talked to a guy, at the barbers, over the weekend. He is a staffing agent for Nurses and related medical positions. He cannot get enough help.

Joe - good on you to want work. I know people who have simply looked for that disability check from SS.

Last Edited:
Hopefully you'll land something quickly Joe. I used to be a regional guy in wireless. I spent lots of time with the engineers and field guys as I used to share office space with them. I kind of miss that world.
Best of luck.

UPS is hiring for seasonal work.
I did that a few years ago - fair warning though, probably not kind to knee recuperation. I was a seasonal driver and probably walked more in a day carrying tons of packages than most normally walk in a week. The other jobs usually available would be loader jobs moving all those packages into the trucks. I don't recall many office type jobs unless a UPS store is hiring for desk clerks.

Yea, I'm probably going to need office work until spring I'd guess.

Can't afford to blow out the knee again and be off work for another 3-4 months.

If the knee wasn't an issue then I could do almost any job - except for Taco Bell lol, worked there for a month in college... I'd have quit earlier but I needed a new motor in my car (needed = wanted a newer turbocharged engine from a specialty mustang yard haha).

I can do project management if all I have to do is occasionally visit sites but couldn't carry moderately heavy things or walk long distances. That's probably as close to warehouse or construction as I could get.

I went to school for computer science (didn't finish the degree because of life at the time) and while I was an electrician I don't still have the license nor could I do the job - but I've worked high level troubleshooting on complex systems in a number of fields.

I've got a couple PMs for office and possible office jobs - going to start there but it's never a guarantee they tell me now days (I've never interviewed in person and not been offered the job though so mostly I'm just looking for a foot in the door;)) so I still Thank everyone for helping me brainstorm if nothing else:cool:.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top