JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Local 48 might be hiring electricians right now. They can't fill all the calls that shops are asking for. If you have an Oregon Electrical license, Inside JW are making $40.20 an hour plus benifits.

Local 48 might be hiring electricians right now. They can't fill all the calls that shops are asking for. If you have an Oregon Electrical license, Inside JW are making $40.20 an hour plus benifits.

Only WA unfortunately and they want me to take 2 years of classes to qualify for the test.

Work has picked up in the area construction wise, and I think a few shops are scrambling for PM's, Superintendents and the like. Might not hurt to drop a resume off with some of the bigger name shops in Portland.

Joe -
Sounds like you are a jack of all trades and had some experience as I have - I did some project management for the last max prison built by CA, worked the E-Fence team for a few years, a bunch of office experience, started down the computer science path way back when and gave it up due to life situation and at the time the job market was flooded and only experienced need apply.
The job market in SW WA seems to be fairly tough right now.
I wish you luck and hope you find a good fit.

Joe -
Sounds like you are a jack of all trades and had some experience as I have - I did some project management for the last max prison built by CA, worked the E-Fence team for a few years, a bunch of office experience, started down the computer science path way back when and gave it up due to life situation and at the time the job market was flooded and only experienced need apply.
The job market in SW WA seems to be fairly tough right now.
I wish you luck and hope you find a good fit.

Thanks guy;).

I'll be employed when the stars line up:D.

Thought I would bump this just in case I get lucky and catch a break.

Thanks for any of the referrals or advice.

I am released for light duty walking and lifting so Office work or driving would be ideal but I can do just about anything that doesn't require a lot from my knee - ie no tile floors etc lol.

Ya'll have had some great leeds but nothing has panned out as of yet.

Honestly, not sure I would be happy with driving for a school district though I keep considering it - my kids in college now and I am not missing the earlier school years lol.

Thought I would bump this just in case I get lucky and catch a break.

Thanks for any of the referrals or advice.

I am released for light duty walking and lifting so Office work or driving would be ideal but I can do just about anything that doesn't require a lot from my knee - ie no tile floors etc lol.

Ya'll have had some great leeds but nothing has panned out as of yet.

Honestly, not sure I would be happy with driving for a school district though I keep considering it - my kids in college now and I am not missing the earlier school years lol.

Joe,
I hear you about the earlier school years.
Middle schools are nuttier than squirrel poop!

That being said, I ride the bus as an aide for my students and get to see just what an impact a great driver has on kids.
You are the first and last school official that the student come into contract with.
A cheery "Good Morning!" and "See you tomorrow!" can make a huge difference in a kids day.
You get to see and hear a lot of what goes on in a kids life while driving.
( maybe even more than a teacher in a classroom )
Plus you can make suggestions or corrections a bit easier 'cause you aren't a teacher.
Andy

Joe,
I hear you about the earlier school years.
Middle schools are nuttier than squirrel poop!

That being said, I ride the bus as an aide for my students and get to see just what an impact a great driver has on kids.
You are the first and last school official that the student come into contract with.
A cheery "Good Morning!" and "See you tomorrow!" can make a huge difference in a kids day.
You get to see and hear a lot of what goes on in a kids life while driving.
( maybe even more than a teacher in a classroom )
Plus you can make suggestions or corrections a bit easier 'cause you aren't a teacher.
Andy

Touché sir!

I'll have to give it more consideration and check out the local school districts for openings - can't hurt to at least check.

Honestly, I am sure I could deal with the kids - I enjoy them mostly and just my size keeps the less mannered a little more polite lol.

I'm IMO a very good driver and am sure I could handle a bus, I've driven Cat wagons twice their size.

When i was in school, on our route but the kids one grade school younger, there was a kid who dropped something after getting off and it rolled under a tire. The driver saw him go one way and started off only to run the kid over. It was a huge tragedy in our small town and maybe impacted ideas about driving a bus I may have had. Hmm, hadn't thought about that for awhile now...

There are 4 schools within a mile of our house and I regularly am reminded how unaware some kids are. Conversely, I also see some really aware and even polite by any standard so I suppose I shouldn't dismiss it until I find out more about it.

Thanks, Andy! I guess I needed that nudge:)

When i was in school, on our route but the kids one grade school younger, there was a kid who dropped something after getting off and it rolled under a tire. The driver saw him go one way and started off only to run the kid over. It was a huge tragedy in our small town and maybe impacted ideas about driving a bus I may have had. Hmm, hadn't thought about that for awhile now...
All the more reason to consider it. A driver with a bit of situational awareness wouldn't be bad thing.

@AndyinEverson and anyone else who may know:

Are the Buses nowadays manual or automatics?

I am not healed enough to run a manual trans for stop and go for an hour quite yet but will still look into it.
Joe,
Most of the buses we have are automatic.
I teach in a rural low funded district so I 'm guess a bigger and better funded one would have automatics as well ...
Andy

A friend of mine (professional photographer) has been chronically underemployed for a couple decades since most people, families, schools and businesses can fulfill their own basic imaging needs today without hiring out. He's worked a lot of scripted call-center gigs for short periods, and absolutely refuses to have anything to do with collections again. Fortunately, his wife has a home-based business to which he contributes significantly.

I think of him whenever I see signs that Tri-Met and USPS are hiring. Sadly, he was canned about 2 months into the Tri-Met experience when he traded some paint with another bus in the garage, a 5-year kiss of death there.

Not to be critical of my friend, but his unfocused, semi-literate resumes and cover letters work against him, big time. I do help him with presentation, but his work history and skill sets are outdated - not terribly relevant to the ads he's answering. You don't seem to suffer from the spelling/grammar impairment Joe. That will work in your favor against otherwise equally qualified competitors for the same gigs.

Hint to all job seekers and your spouses/teens/friends looking for work:
Keep a generic job app on you with everything spelled correctly, dates, titles, responsibilities, addresses, phones, references, etc. In our most legible hand, copy verbatim from that when someone at a job fair hands you a blank application form to complete.

Last Edited:
A friend of mine (professional photographer) has been chronically underemployed for a couple decades since most people, families, schools and businesses can fulfill their own basic imaging needs today without hiring out. He's worked a lot of scripted call-center gigs for short periods, and absolutely refuses to have anything to do with collections again. Fortunately, his wife has a home-based business to which he contributes significantly.

I think of him whenever I see signs that Tri-Met and USPS are hiring. Sadly, he was canned about 2 months into the Tri-Met experience when he traded some paint with another bus in the garage, a 5-year kiss of death there.

Not to be critical of my friend, but his unfocused, semi-literate resumes and cover letters work against him, big time. I do help him with presentation, but his work history and skill sets are outdated - not terribly relevant to the ads he's answering. You don't seem to suffer from the spelling/grammar impairment Joe. That will work in your favor against otherwise equally qualified competitors for the same gigs.

Hint to all job seekers and your spouses/teens/friends looking for work:
Keep a generic job app on you with everything spelled correctly, dates, titles, responsibilities, addresses, phones, references, etc. In our most legible hand, copy verbatim from that when someone at a job fair hands you a blank application form to complete.

Thank-You, for the advice and compliment!:cool:

I have a few resumes out and now that I am done running part of a convention that was this last weekend I will be focusing on 1st getting new doctors with my change in insurance and 2nd, actively working towards finding a suitable job.

I walked out the door and got halfway down the step before I realized I didn't have my cane with me (I went back for it) so it reinforced what my physical therapist said this morning, that I am mending quickly and to just keep taking it as tolerated and don't push it to the point of hurting myself again.

Thanks again for the support!

Having gone through a LONG physical rehab for my own leg issues, I can say that's a big deal when you can get up and take off naturally, and then remember you're supposed to be using a cane. Guard fiercely against re-injury and setbacks.

Having gone through a LONG physical rehab for my own leg issues, I can say that's a big deal when you can get up and take off naturally, and then remember you're supposed to be using a cane. Guard fiercely against re-injury and setbacks.

I'm pretty gun shy about reinjury so I may be taking things too slowly but I've been out of commission for over 3 months and most likely won't be without a cane for another month so I'm am keenly aware of trying to build the muscle but not to the point of pain.

I always appreciate the reminder though - It is almost worse now that I can do some things but not all that I want vs couch bound and not able to do anything, for me at least.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top