JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
When radio shows play games like "did it happen in Florida or Germany" and it's some F'ed up thing but you can't really tell where it happened should give people a hint.

Also all of the old people that can't drive down there:rolleyes:.

Is PERS a social issue?

Depends on who you talk to . Mention PERS reform to some one who is feeding at the trough and you will get the usual " No fing way man, they promised us that retirement and we took lower wages to get it. Comrade Kate needs the PERS vote to maintain her stranglehold on the statehouse and Legislature, and she will never touch PERS. Just keep raising taxes.

If you ask the school districts they say yeah, it is going to cost us 2 million more next year and we will have to cut staff so all the administrators, but they don't really give a sh*t, because their day at the tit is coming. PERS should eventually implode state government which would be a good thing really.

And really, who can blame the PERS feeders, hell Oregon is ranked 48th in the nation in on time graduation rates. You don't have to excel or perform, just put your time in.

Oregon's high school graduation rate again ranks 48th in nation

With all my kids and grandkids in Washington State, there's no way I'm moving. If it weren't for family I'd probably live in northern Idaho or eastern Tennessee.

I fled Florida because of the heat, humidity & all the damn Yankees.... (they are worse than Kalifornians):eek::eek::eek:

I spent some work time in Florida over the years. Great golf courses, but that heat, humidity and the alligators on the golf courses. Nothing that did not lead me to not getting on the plane out of there fast. There was some great music that came out of there, Petty, Skynyrd, John Anderson, The Outlaws so there is that.

I just remember 3 inches of rain in one hour at 85 degrees.

I have my kids here who have no inclination to move elsewhere at the present.

I also think that given all the pros and cons, Orygun is one of the better places to be in a SHTF situation - especially the one that is building up to a climax in about 20 to 40 years. Since I prepare more for my kids than I do for myself, this is where I will have some property after I retire.

I spent some work time in Florida over the years. Great golf courses, but that heat, humidity and the alligators on the golf courses. Nothing that did not lead me to not getting on the plane out of there fast. There was some great music that came out of there, Petty, Skynyrd, John Anderson, The Outlaws so there is that.

I just remember 3 inches of rain in one hour at 85 degrees.

I could tell you many stories about the horrors of Florida but had some EXCELLENT memories of concerts, tubing down the Rainbow & Ocklawaha rivers & meeting Tom Petty at my bachelor's party!!!:p:D;)

Last Edited:
Hey, it's your life so be happy. More power to ya. I did some time in FL during det's and had great experiences. I grew up in the desert of AZ and ended up on the Oregon coast at my first CG air station. I had this overwhelming urge to build an ark and load the women on two by two... or was it suppose to be animals? Anyway it was quite a first experience. My next air station was south of Houston where we got hit with Two Cat 1 hurricanes the first full summer we were there ('89). Didn't see that coming. I flew on missions during both. The big difference between the East/Gulf coast and West coast is that they name their big storms. Here it's just op's normal. I love the NW and will likely never leave.

New Oregon laws taking effect on Jan. 1
+ about 10 other reasons....

We closed our business, and got out while the economy is still somewhat sane.
We are happier, healthier, and wiser. If we did it so can others, cause the grass is greener on the other side.
Where I live now, if you burn an American flag even the Mexicans will stop you !
And I can lend my shotgun to anyone want to.

Lets make America greater = hang all the lawyers first !

In Florida for the most part you will see more Cuban and Puerto Rican residents and non residents than you will see Mexicans.

You couldn't give me that whole flat land swamp or any part of it, let alone trade me something of value for that reptilian paradise where children and pets are eaten alive by insects, snakes or gators. A place where roaches as big as humming birds live in your bath room and only God knows what is lurking under the front porch.

Enjoy the next view you will have wile cornering your motorcycle around the mountain tops above 5,000 feet or the 30' - 40' waves rolling on shore during the storms like the ones at Shore Acres OR. The Elk grazing in my field the Gray Whales that are headed south right now, you will never see another seal or sea lion as long as you live there.

It is so hot during the summer months people live inside during the day with the air conditioners constantly running, wile we on the coast we enjoy what you are trying to achieve just by living here.

I get a kick out of people that live in Florida and it happens a lot, it seems!
They just keep trying to convince others that they are happy and you would be just as happy when someone takes your mountains, high deserts, high lakes and dreams away and replaces them with a view of swamps, shrubs in a place where the tallest natural thing is a palm tree and most of them were planted.

Last Edited:
Tell ya one darn thing about life in the South and MidWest...

The folks down there don't seem to be at all concerned with critters that can bite you. Even barefoot in a swimming hole, you'd look long to find somebody that said they'd ever been bothered.

I had occasion to fish in a small pond in Missouri that was known to inhabit water moccasins. The locals didn't care, and even claimed they swam in that pond as kids.

Another dan theen. (That's what my Puerto Rican Senior Drill Instructor used to say)...

Drive along many thoroughfares in South Florida, and lining the roads is an unpenetrable jungle. Lotsa things don't bother me. These solid jungles would, and I cannot imagine stepping one foot off the road, cuz I know I'd get ate by a snake, a aligator, a scorpion, a pig, or anything else that'd think nothing of dining on a fat boy.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads