JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've been kicking around the idea of requiring users to input their zip codes when registering. This would auto-populate the location field, set a starting point for other features such as the firearm-related resource map, and eventually (hopefully) list ones distance between another member's zip code when viewing classified ads.

Just FYI not all zip codes come up with the correct location. Example... My zip is 97224. When you enter that in most map/search engines it comes back to "Portland". I do not live in the city. I'm in unincorporated Washington county between Sherwood and Tigard. It's close but not perfect.

So, if a seller is still unwilling to be specific with their location, how about they say where they are willing to meet for a FTF transaction?

If the seller is still unwilling to be specific with their location it tells me they are hiding something. I dont want to do business with someone like that if that's the case.

Out of all my dealings I have only meet one person at their house. People are more likely to meet somewhere instead of their home. Which I prefer anyways. But, I prefer to know what state and city they live in before I do any dealings with them.

I was a moderator on a popular watch collectors board and we required 50 posts before you could post items for sale. The major problem with doing that is you will get ALLOT of people just posting smilys and one word posts with no content just to get their post count up. I think the current system works fine and being that unlike other things traded on the internet gun transactions here are mostly face to face the chances of getting scammed are very low.

This! Why require 50 posts of garbage beofre someone can post an item for sale?
:s0114:

I agree, specific location should be a requirement. The cutesy "Outer fringe", "behind you" and "Planet Earth" locations are not only annoying it seems like they would violate the "anti-bumping" rules since inevitably the first question will be "What is your location?" which opens the door for a second unnecassary bump.

As a relative noob to this firearms board, but veteran of other such discussion places & online selling, I am glad there is no minimum post count for the boards. I'm new here but have already purchased a very nice firearm from an outstanding gentleman who posted an ad here.

I'm a bit private about sharing detailed location information, and prefer to just say a general area, county, or city. If you ask for my zip code, I'll pick one nearby so that I'm maintaining the spirit of what the mods & community is looking for. Hope you understand.

What about area code, does that nail it down enough? They never cross state lines. Area code + a location string such as "Portland" might get you further than what we have now.

I am not going to get any more specific with my public profile location than ---> 26th District, WA :s0155:

When it comes to classifieds though, I will be more specific, at the specific time it is required and with only the specific person involved on the other side of the specific transaction. How's that for getting specific? ;)

A "low" or "no" post count doesn't concern me at all. There are a lot of people who enjoy sites like this but just don't get into posting and participating. No big deal really. As far as classifieds go, if they are selling something I'm interested in that's all I need to know. No posts about taking their kids camping? Oh well. They want a FTF in Ashland? Just lost interest. Life on the Internet.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top