JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After almost three months of no trigger time I finally got to go shooting :D

Having about 40 loads to chrono (yes, really), and NOT wanting an early demise for my 3rd chrono, I came up with the ridiculous :)

Some actual thought went into this: Protect the chrono from up-to hot 10mm loads; Small / portable / under 10lbs; Couldn't be reactive.

A scrap piece of AR500 steel would have done the trick, but hitting it from 10' wasn't something I was interested in trying.

Stopbox :)

4 layers of 13-ply Baltic birch, loose framing nails, and a couple of bricks.

stopbox1.jpg

stopbox2.jpg

Of course, it had to be tested :D

10mm 180gr @ 1,250, and a 155XTP around 1,350.

stopbox3.jpg

stopbox4.jpg

Both loads I'd consider 'warm', and while they went cleanly through the plywood, they stopped fairly shallow into the nails.

stopbox5.jpg

For a kludged together idea it worked pretty well :)

The other component is the chrono's Digital Link - This worked perfectly.

Easy to read output on a tablet.

chrono-link-display.jpg

Name a string (ex: 10mm 155XTP XX.Xgr Powder) and start shooting - Later you can export your strings in CSV format for spreadsheet use, or a .pdf.

CSV-export-spreadsheet.jpg

<broken link removed>

Perfect weather, beautiful day, and I DIDN'T shoot my chrono :)

Next time out I'm out I think I'll hit the box with a .308 :D

Curious: why not sand instead of nails?

Didn't have sand?

:)

Other than the bricks, I just used what I had on hand. I wanted it to have enough mass so it wouldn't slam into the chono, knocking it over. I wanted the front to be non-reactive, minimizing any chance of injury from ricochet. The nails - high mass, energy absorbing through movement, relatively 'soft'. The bricks, last line of defense.

It was just a quick 'what if' project that, very surprisingly, worked as imagined.

I'm sure there's a 100 variations that would achieve the same result :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR