JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
After almost three months of no trigger time I finally got to go shooting :D

Having about 40 loads to chrono (yes, really), and NOT wanting an early demise for my 3rd chrono, I came up with the ridiculous :)

Some actual thought went into this: Protect the chrono from up-to hot 10mm loads; Small / portable / under 10lbs; Couldn't be reactive.

A scrap piece of AR500 steel would have done the trick, but hitting it from 10' wasn't something I was interested in trying.

Stopbox :)

4 layers of 13-ply Baltic birch, loose framing nails, and a couple of bricks.

stopbox1.jpg

stopbox2.jpg

Of course, it had to be tested :D

10mm 180gr @ 1,250, and a 155XTP around 1,350.

stopbox3.jpg

stopbox4.jpg

Both loads I'd consider 'warm', and while they went cleanly through the plywood, they stopped fairly shallow into the nails.

stopbox5.jpg

For a kludged together idea it worked pretty well :)

The other component is the chrono's Digital Link - This worked perfectly.

Easy to read output on a tablet.

chrono-link-display.jpg

Name a string (ex: 10mm 155XTP XX.Xgr Powder) and start shooting - Later you can export your strings in CSV format for spreadsheet use, or a .pdf.

CSV-export-spreadsheet.jpg

<broken link removed>

Perfect weather, beautiful day, and I DIDN'T shoot my chrono :)

Next time out I'm out I think I'll hit the box with a .308 :D

Curious: why not sand instead of nails?

Didn't have sand?

:)

Other than the bricks, I just used what I had on hand. I wanted it to have enough mass so it wouldn't slam into the chono, knocking it over. I wanted the front to be non-reactive, minimizing any chance of injury from ricochet. The nails - high mass, energy absorbing through movement, relatively 'soft'. The bricks, last line of defense.

It was just a quick 'what if' project that, very surprisingly, worked as imagined.

I'm sure there's a 100 variations that would achieve the same result :)

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads