JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No rifling on leftmost bullet.. unfired/still in the case when struck.
And speak a the d, watched a flick just today set around that little dust-up..
fair to middling.. 3/5 broken hearts..
The Water Diviner, 2014

Watch the movie 'Gallipoli' with Mel Gibson before he went crazy. Also 'All the King's Men' - the story of E Company of the Sandringhams - part of the Royal Norfolk Regiment that had all grown up together working on the King's estate at Sandringham, all of whom disappeared without trace in one attack.

What happened to the Sandringhams during the disastrous Dardanelles campaign in the middle of their very first battle, on the afternoon of August 12, 1915? One minute the men, led by their commanding officer, Sir Horace Proctor-Beauchamp, were charging bravely against the Turkish enemy. The next they had disappeared. Their bodies were never found. There were no survivors. They did not turn up as prisoners of war.

They simply vanished.

General Sir Ian Hamilton, the British Commander-in-Chief in Gallipoli, appeared as puzzled as everyone else. He reported 'there happened a very mysterious thing'. Explaining that during the attack, the Norfolks had drawn somewhat ahead of the rest of the British line. He went on 'The fighting grew hotter, and the ground became more wooded and broken.' But Colonel Beauchamp with 16 officers and 250 men, 'still kept pushing on, driving the enemy before him.'

georgeVthefront.jpg

'Among these ardent souls was part of a fine company enlisted from the King's Sandringham estates. Nothing more was ever seen or heard of any of them. They charged into the forest and were lost to sight and sound. Not one of them ever came back.' Their families had nothing to go on but rumours and a vague official telegram stating that their loved ones had been 'reported missing'.

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofEngland/The-Lost-Sandringhams/

This might be the answer...

http://www.historic-uk.com/HistoryUK/HistoryofBritain/5th-Battalion-Norfolk-Regiment-The-True-Story/

The Royal Norfolk Regiment had a very hard time in WW2, as well, when they were captured during the fighting retreat to Dunkirk in 1940. The 2nd Battalion, the Royal Norfolk Regiment, had become isolated from their regiment. They occupied and defended a farmhouse against an attack by Waffen-SS forces in the village of Le Paradis. After running out of ammunition, the defenders surrendered to the German troops. The Germans led them across the road to a wall, and machine-gunned them. Ninety-seven British troops died. Two survived, with injuries, and hid until they were captured by German forces several days later.

After the war, Fritz Knöchlein was located, tried and convicted by a war crimes court, with the two survivors acting as witnesses against him. For his part in the massacre, Knöchlein was executed in 1949.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Paradis_massacre

tac

Last Edited:
The campaigns in the Middle East, including Gallipoli, have got to be my favorite interest in WWI history. Still hard to beat Alan Moorehead's Gallipoli, but a new history of the same name by Peter Hart is quite good, although he dismisses the strategy behind the campaign. The Mesopotamia campaign is well-portrayed in The Bastard War, if you can find a copy. Ross Anderson wrote about the East Africa campaigns in The Forgotten Front, and Scott Anderson has Lawrence in Arabia, a new history. T.E. Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom and Revolt in the Desert are still pretty good reading.

History......Any time I read things like this my final thought are always the same. Here we are 100 years later. It could be 200 years. Man is is still killing each other off. For what? We (mankind) don't seem to be one damned bit more civilized after a couple of hundred years.

There are people who will tell you that civilization itself requires war. A homogenous population, a geographical homeland, defensible borders, military technology, are all requirements that must be in place for 'civilization', meaning cities, laws, order, national identity, and the common good, can exist. And to maintain these things may also require conflict from time to time.

Case in point, if you think that European civilization is going to survive the on-going assault by Islamic 'refugees' without conflict or violence, I would like to hear how it's going to be done. It's quite clear that assimilation and accommodation are not possible, and such concepts will only result in the permanent destruction of the way of life of the citizenry, the 'civilization'.

My Aussie wife just forwarded me this photo she found. Gallipoli was the scene of a WW-I battle between Australian & Turkish troops.... there must have been some SERIOUS lead flying for something like this to happen!

View attachment 282037
Serious lead just about sums it up. This was a watershed moment for my nation and one we mark each April 25th( ANZAC Day), I used to use the word "celebrate", but the politically correct have brought that to an end, great photo though!

Well Stomper I reckon you will have a great time in W.A. Head North and stay out of the water. Lots to see and do, unfortunately W.A has the strictest of Australias' "new" gun laws, I"ve learnt to only take a camera

We're flying across the pond, I'd never get past customs anyway. I still carry a small (but effective) folding cutter in my pocket though (despite THAT ban)... you can only push a bloke so far into defenselessness. ;)

We're flying across the pond, I'd never get past customs anyway. I still carry a small (but effective) folding cutter in my pocket though (despite THAT ban)... you can only push a bloke so far into defenselessness. ;)
Amen to that Stomper! There's only so much of the 'Nanny State' that a man can handle. Common sense seems to be in short supply on this side of the Pacific.

We'll be on a two-week holiday in Perth on 24th March... Woot! :D

Whew.....glad you let me know. I'd be worryin' ifin I wasn't seein' your avatar around, be afraid you'd gone "NoFlinch".

Have good time you guys, and drink a pint of EMU for me would ya'. And don't forget your esky, it's libel to be hot out!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top