JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My Aussie wife just forwarded me this photo she found. Gallipoli was the scene of a WW-I battle between Australian & Turkish troops.... there must have been some SERIOUS lead flying for something like this to happen!

image.jpeg

Winston Churchill lost his cherry at Gallipoli, and that horrendous lesson lasted him his entire life. He grasped the concept of Total War long before the Nazis, and he saw WWII as a battle for England's very existence. You don't send soldiers to die unless you're ALL IN.

The actual history of the Gallipoli Campaign makes quite a read, and it's far more astounding than bullets fused in mid-flight.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/can-bullets-fuse-in-mid-air/

Seems Mythbusters tested the Civil War minie ball fused myth out and found it to be plausible, yet highly improbable (again, physics and timing and so on)... if not outright impossible.
entertaining story though.

A far more likely event for the Gallipolli myth that one bullet was already stuck in something, and the other bullet hit it at the speeds/distance needed. Something wooden would probably be what one was stuck in, and the other bullet hit it, and its retained by the wood, but as time went on, the wood got rotten, or burnt..thus leaving the bullets in the ground for someone to find and make up a claim on.

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/mythbusters/mythbusters-database/can-bullets-fuse-in-mid-air/

Seems Mythbusters tested the Civil War minie ball fused myth out and found it to be plausible, yet highly improbable (again, physics and timing and so on)... if not outright impossible.
entertaining story though.

A far more likely event for the Gallipolli myth that one bullet was already stuck in something, and the other bullet hit it at the speeds/distance needed. Something wooden would probably be what one was stuck in, and the other bullet hit it, and its retained by the wood, but as time went on, the wood got rotten, or burnt..thus leaving the bullets in the ground for someone to find and make up a claim on.

Agree on the Gallopolli story; it ain't gonna happen with high velocity jacketed bullets. Gettysburg; much easier for two slow moving, large, blunt nosed, unjacketed chunks of lead to hook up.

I wouldn't be surprised if something like this could happen in any berm at 100 yards on any shooting range. A dead bullet laying side ways in the dirt another round hits it. If you searched through the 50 gallon barrels of spent slugs at Four Corners Rod and Gun club I'd be you could find something like this.

My Aussie wife just forwarded me this photo she found. Gallipoli was the scene of a WW-I battle between Australian & Turkish troops.... there must have been some SERIOUS lead flying for something like this to happen!
View attachment 282037

Gallipoli was not just a battle, it was a nine-month-long campaign from April 1915 to January 1916 that claimed the lives of over half a million soldiers and sailors on both sides.

Just as many Canadians had good cause to hate the British high command for Dieppe in WW2, so do the Australians and New Zealanders have good cause to view the British with a degree of distrust and scepticism - their troops suffered the greater numbers of casualties, as did the many Irish regiments engaged in the landings. Look up Gallipoli campaign - the 'River Clyde' to find out why.

tac

Yes, the laws of physics say that roughly equal-massed bullets would not end up like that. Instead, the moment the one t-boned the other, the brass-looking bullet would be pushed away. It would probably have an indentation, for sure, but would not be impaled.

The only way this could happen is if the brass bullet was grazing past a tree or some solid object at the very moment the black bullet impacted it. Something solid would have to "hold" the brass bullet from simply careening off on a new vector, with an equal-but-opposite sort of reaction.

You know, I actually went to the firearmblog link above and saw that huge assortment of fused bullets and thought to myself, "Wow, physics is sure condition-sensitive!"

I noticed a couple were small/fast bullets blowing into big/slow bullets. That makes a lot more sense. If a super-velocity bullet encounters a big huge bullet, it makes sense that this could happen. I'm just flummoxed how two equally-massed bullets could do this. Maybe I am quite wrong that those are equal bullets.

Yes, the laws of physics say that roughly equal-massed bullets would not end up like that. Instead, the moment the one t-boned the other, the brass-looking bullet would be pushed away. It would probably have an indentation, for sure, but would not be impaled.

The only way this could happen is if the brass bullet was grazing past a tree or some solid object at the very moment the black bullet impacted it. Something solid would have to "hold" the brass bullet from simply careening off on a new vector, with an equal-but-opposite sort of reaction.

Why couldn't the one bullet just be laying in the dirt somewhere like I said in the berm at a target range. The dirt would hold Bullet A while bullet B slams into it creating the Holio

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top