JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Depends on the mood. If I'm feeling frisky, meaning ready to tear somebody up, I'll take the call. I usually don't wait, when I say hello, someone had better say "Hello" back, like if I called you. Otherwise I hang up, often hearing someone finally come on the line as I'm pushing the kill button.

I decided to try something new next time caller ID says "Unknown name", "Private Number", or 000-00-1111 or some such nonsense! I'll wait and take their call, but I'm going to request the # THEY are calling from, as it only seems fair? They have MY # so I'll need theirs too, with their location also of course.

We won't accept any solicitations online or over the phone anymore. There is too much fraud, and now it seems easy for the caller to mask or alter their calling number/ID.

Even if the actual bank or credit-card company is calling, I tell them I'll hang up and call them back on the number published on the back of the card. I've taught my two kids (now young adults) to do the same.

Trust no one with your personal or financial information.

Oh, true story from me that happened within the past three weeks...

I get an alert from a credit bureau about activity on my profile. I sign in and see that CHASE checked my credit based on a voluntary request. I didn't apply for anything, the CHASE event is the only unusual activity, it's a busy week with customers, so I plan to get on it the following week.

The following Tuesday a CHASE-branded VISA arrives in the mail. It is an Amazon.com Rewards Card. Hmmm...

I call the activation number for the VISA card and it immediately goes to CHASE's Fraud Department. Good. I tell them I never applied and I want it canceled by CHASE. The gal hints they've had problems here.

Then I call the credit bureau and tell them the credit request is fraudulent too. They were very helpful, including providing a pre-written letter that I could submit to a separate credit bureau to declare the event as fraudulent.

Net of it all: I think someone created a separate profile on Amazon.com, applied for the card, and got an immediate credit on Amazon.com that they used to acquire about $50 in goods. I'm not sure they ever really had my full details such as SSN and Birthdate. Instead, I think CHASE is paying all or most of that $50 gift just to acquire new customers... and is taking the risk such that they may have issued the VISA anyway.

CHASE's terms on the Amazon.com Rewards VISA are terrible. A higher interest rate, and nefarious language on what constitutes a balance payoff and when. I think CHASE may be making enough money off other customers to cover the risk. That is my personal speculation anyway.

Be very protective of your personal information...

Phone calls - number withheld - I don't pick it up.

0800 numbers - I don't pick it up.

0200 numbers - I don't pick it up.

The caller has a number, but it's not one that I know well - I don't pick it up.

The caller has a number, but it's unusual - I don't pick it up.

The caller has a recognisable number - I pick it up and hear 'Can I talk to Mr Teerunts Folley please?' Response - Nope.

Heavy breathing/silent calls - Ten seconds of aerosol air horn into the earpiece. :)

All this happens WITH a mail blocker - how bad would it be without one? We are not listed in any phone book, BTW.

tac

I've done a few of the political polls lately. By my profile. I'm now a black woman, 18-35 years old, vote Democrat but won't vote for hillery!

There were a few pollsters during the primary but those were actually party volunteers trying to stimulate people to get out and vote.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top