JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anybody tried loading up centerfire cartridge shot loads with a technique like the kit below suggest? What did you use for load data? Could this be used in other straight wall or nearly straight wall cartridges like 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster, etc?

Last Edited:
You don't really need the kit. I make these in 38 and 357 but really I could make them in any cartridge I wanted to. 5 and 1/2 grains of hp-38 works pretty good too. Out to 10 ft anyway.

20220226_135238.jpg

You just Flair one of the cases that you're going to use it for and cut out a bunch of cardboard wads after sharpening the neck. Then you put one wad over the powder and another wad over the shot. Then crimp. Lots of things you can use to seal it. I like to use some Titebond 2 wood glue and some bullet Lube just to keep the leading down. These are not a high pressure load because there is no projectile blocking the barrel as the gases expand. Any amount of powder is probably okay as long as it is not too little to blow the shot and wad out. Different cases will have different requirements of course. Especially when a case starts getting necked. This is where my old 38 & 357 cases go to die. They just become a shot cartridge.

Last Edited:
You don't really need the kit. I make these in 38 and 357 but really I could make them in any cartridge I wanted to. 525 and 1/2 grains of hp-38 works pretty good too. Out to 10 ft anyway.

View attachment 1140557

You just Flair one of the cases that you're going to use it for and cut out a bunch of cardboard wads after sharpening the neck. Then you put one wad over the powder and another wad over the shot. Then crimp. Lots of things you can use to seal it. I like to use some Titebond 2 wood glue and some bullet Lube just to keep the leading down. These are not a high pressure load because there is no projectile blocking the barrel as the gases expand. Any amount of powder is probably okay as long as it is not too little to blow the shot and wad out. Different cases will have different requirements of course. Especially when a case starts getting necked. This is where my old 38 & 357 cases go to die. They just become a shot cartridge.
How do you measure your shot amount?

That kit looks like they are using cup plugs/galley plugs? I wouldnt want to put those through my barrel...
They look to me like gas checks, so made to be shot. But I have always made mine from cardboard. two or three layers over the powder and one on top to keep the shot in place. then glue in place with a watered down white glue. I weigh the shot to make it about the same as a common bullet weight and then find a dipper that drops a close amount. DR

They look to me like gas checks, so made to be shot. But I have always made mine from cardboard. two or three layers over the powder and one on top to keep the shot in place. then glue in place with a watered down white glue. I weigh the shot to make it about the same as a common bullet weight and then find a dipper that drops a close amount. DR
Correct, their main business is gas checks. I think they were looking for an alternative use for them so they could sell more of them. I picked up some 35cal copper gas checks locally and wanted to try some shot loads in 350 Legend.

Anyone ever use rock salt? I had some 20 ga. salt shells, a great non-lethal deterrent. Usually the sound of the shot going off works to chase off varmit or man.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top