JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My 10 year old niece and her mom want to learn how to shoot. I'm planning on teaching them the basics with one of my GBB airsoft "M4s" in my backyard, after that would you transition them straight to a standard AR or would you stop at a .22lr first?

You can find lots of 22lr rifles, if you don't own you can "borrow"* and that keeps noise and recoil to a minimum. Build upon success. And easy to load just one. And if small stature, easy to get smaller stocks.

* I am not advocating breaking the law

I'd go to a .22LR rifle as the next gun...a .22 single shot bolt action would be my first choice.
Then forget about the AR's and go to a muzzleloader....:D
Just kidding on that last bit.

Ask what they want to shoot after mastering a .22 rifle...keep 'em interested with what they want to shoot.
Andy

I'd go to a .22LR rifle as the next gun...a .22 single shot bolt action would be my first choice.
Then forget about the AR's and go to a muzzleloader....:D
Just kidding on that last bit.

Ask what they want to shoot after mastering a .22 rifle...keep 'em interested with what they want to shoot.
Andy

Yep, just make sure it has a fully adjustable rear aperture sight.

My 10 year old niece and her mom want to learn how to shoot. I'm planning on teaching them the basics with one of my GBB airsoft "M4s" in my backyard, after that would you transition them straight to a standard AR or would you stop at a .22lr first?

Did this with my daughter. Started with an air rifle. Once she gave me run for my money (betting candy who could shoot better) i bought her a 10/22. Once she got used to the size and noise she's starting to win more candy from me than i am getting from her. :)

She's started shooting my Ruger SR22, but loves the S&W 17-2. I bought her an AR and put pink furnature on it for her. Bought a CMMG 22 conversion for it. Now she's getting used to its size and feel. One day we'll put in the .223 BC and get her on the .223.

Baby steps without hurting them or scaring them by going too big too fast.

Fun days are ahead for you! :s0155:

Air rifle and transition over to .22 is a very good idea...

Here is a link if you are looking for classes taught by the NRA in your area: NRA Training

If you need some beginner handbooks I can send you a couple free of charge, PM if interested..

I started off age six shooting my dad's Model 1911, mind you, he had his hand around mine all the time.

Now, sixty-six years later, the gun is long gone, who knows where, and so is my dad, assuredly in heaven.

And I shoot around three times a week.

tac

Thanks for the input guys, I have a couple lever 22s I could use but I think I might use this as an excuse to get a dedicated 22 upper for my AR (which already has purple furniture so I'm good there)

Taught all 4 daughters with my trusty Ruger 10/22.

Made them load the mags, gave us time to talk about our Rights and why America is "The Best" w/ no close second.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top