JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was recently at BiMart looking at ammo, and saw that all the. 22lr was gone, but there was plenty of. 17, which I am completely unfamiliar with. Looked like mini. 223 rounds, and from what I read, it's a pretty high velocity round. But that's all I really know about it. So teach me! Is it fun and cost-effective for plinking like. 22 is? Would it be worth picking up a .17 for plinking, or should I look for a .22lr plinker? Just couldn't help but notice that .17 is easier to find right now, so I got to doing something dangerous... thinking!

17hmr ammo is generally around $10 for a box of 50.

It is great for small game and varmints, but the explosive impact tends to destroy a lot of meat if you're hunting for food.

CCI does offer an FMJ now. I don't know how well it works on critters but it punches right through a 22lr metal spinner target that the Vmax and hollow points only make divots in.

I have a Marlin XT-17VR and love it.

I've lighten the trigger by replacing the return spring with the spring from a Bic pen. Consistent 2.5-3lb pull (don't have a scale, but it's light as snow and hasn't failed yet). Bi-Mart almost always has sale on their .17 ammo for 10.80ish for 50rds. Otherwise it's normally 12ish for 50. Loud as hell. Don't assume that tiny little bullet is like a .22 out of a rifle and you don't need hearing protection (I learned that the hard way). I haven't shot anything living with it yet, but hope to make it to eastern Oregon sometime soon for some rabbits..

Pic up a Savage 93 and get a few boxes of ammo, it is a fun little round and the cost is comparable to .22mag. The impact on a squirrel is pretty nasty with the ballistic tips. I have a Rifle Basix sear in one of mine (pre accutrigger model) set at 13oz which makes it real accurate long range. The only issue I have heard of is windy days do not set well at longer ranges.

We have a couple HMR's. We love them. HahnsXD is rite about the spinners!

th_Targets003.jpg th_Targets001.jpg th_Targets002.jpg

There awsome, head shots on ground squarls can tickle you pink. i have 2 and selling/ trading one of them so it doesnt sit around. Shoot me a pm if you interested in getting one.

Yep you can't beat the savage 93 for the price. The acutrigger is amazing. I was in the same boat a few years ago on the .17 cartridge when a buddy let me shot his. It's amazingly accurate and a blast to shot. If you wanna reach oit and hit stuff get a .17 setup.

Never thought about rabbit hunting, that's pretty good eats. I'd like to get some feral pigs, but not a big population of them in Oregon, and pretty sure a .17 isn't enough for one of those anyways!

i have a Savage 93, pre accu-trigger, in .17HMR.
it sees the light of day a lot more than my .22lr, even with the higher ammo cost.

figure 19 cents/round for .17HMR vs a few pennies for cheap/dirty .22lr... but all HMR (as far as i know) is match grade.

the .17HMR takes a coyote at 200 yards.
demolishes rabbits under 250 yards unless you get a head shot (no harvest-able meat with a body shot).
hits harder at 100yd than a .22lr has at the barrel.
super flat trajectory.
just. plain. fun. to. shoot.
actually, it's one of my favorite calibers to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top