JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was recently at BiMart looking at ammo, and saw that all the. 22lr was gone, but there was plenty of. 17, which I am completely unfamiliar with. Looked like mini. 223 rounds, and from what I read, it's a pretty high velocity round. But that's all I really know about it. So teach me! Is it fun and cost-effective for plinking like. 22 is? Would it be worth picking up a .17 for plinking, or should I look for a .22lr plinker? Just couldn't help but notice that .17 is easier to find right now, so I got to doing something dangerous... thinking!

17hmr ammo is generally around $10 for a box of 50.

It is great for small game and varmints, but the explosive impact tends to destroy a lot of meat if you're hunting for food.

CCI does offer an FMJ now. I don't know how well it works on critters but it punches right through a 22lr metal spinner target that the Vmax and hollow points only make divots in.

I have a Marlin XT-17VR and love it.

I've lighten the trigger by replacing the return spring with the spring from a Bic pen. Consistent 2.5-3lb pull (don't have a scale, but it's light as snow and hasn't failed yet). Bi-Mart almost always has sale on their .17 ammo for 10.80ish for 50rds. Otherwise it's normally 12ish for 50. Loud as hell. Don't assume that tiny little bullet is like a .22 out of a rifle and you don't need hearing protection (I learned that the hard way). I haven't shot anything living with it yet, but hope to make it to eastern Oregon sometime soon for some rabbits..

Pic up a Savage 93 and get a few boxes of ammo, it is a fun little round and the cost is comparable to .22mag. The impact on a squirrel is pretty nasty with the ballistic tips. I have a Rifle Basix sear in one of mine (pre accutrigger model) set at 13oz which makes it real accurate long range. The only issue I have heard of is windy days do not set well at longer ranges.

We have a couple HMR's. We love them. HahnsXD is rite about the spinners!

th_Targets003.jpg th_Targets001.jpg th_Targets002.jpg

There awsome, head shots on ground squarls can tickle you pink. i have 2 and selling/ trading one of them so it doesnt sit around. Shoot me a pm if you interested in getting one.

Yep you can't beat the savage 93 for the price. The acutrigger is amazing. I was in the same boat a few years ago on the .17 cartridge when a buddy let me shot his. It's amazingly accurate and a blast to shot. If you wanna reach oit and hit stuff get a .17 setup.

Never thought about rabbit hunting, that's pretty good eats. I'd like to get some feral pigs, but not a big population of them in Oregon, and pretty sure a .17 isn't enough for one of those anyways!

i have a Savage 93, pre accu-trigger, in .17HMR.
it sees the light of day a lot more than my .22lr, even with the higher ammo cost.

figure 19 cents/round for .17HMR vs a few pennies for cheap/dirty .22lr... but all HMR (as far as i know) is match grade.

the .17HMR takes a coyote at 200 yards.
demolishes rabbits under 250 yards unless you get a head shot (no harvest-able meat with a body shot).
hits harder at 100yd than a .22lr has at the barrel.
super flat trajectory.
just. plain. fun. to. shoot.
actually, it's one of my favorite calibers to shoot.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top