JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
except for the frame, everything seems okay. the slide release popped back into place and it cycles, but harshly, and i haven't inspected the sear or firing pin or anything. That doesn't mean i'll replace the polymer frame and attempt to fire it again. I'd be very happy if Taurus let me give them money to get an upgrade.

Totally looks like ammo caused this.

I would be reaching out to the ammo manufacturer as well.

This will certainly help aid those looking at purchasing from that re manufacturer anytime soon.

Threads like these help weed out the not worth it reloading companies.

Also, don't mention you were using reloads when talking with Taurus. May help get the process rolling.

Totally looks like ammo caused this.

I would be reaching out to the ammo manufacturer as well.

This will certainly help aid those looking at purchasing from that re manufacturer anytime soon.

Threads like these help weed out the not worth it reloading companies.

Also, don't mention you were using reloads when talking with Taurus. May help get the process rolling.
I agree, call the ammo manufacturer. Provide photos of your gun, the ammo you bought from them.

well i'm about to head to the gunshow. I'll bring my box of ammo and pics of the pistol and spark up a conversation with Tualatin Valley Munitions. I'd like my gun fixed from someone, just don't really see them ponying up anything more than a refund on the ammo.

So it looks like it blew out where the case is unsupported by the barrel.
Likely a reloaded cartridge that already had a protruding portion from an unsupported barrel.

This is a huge reason I don't buy any re manufactured 10mm.

Already unsuitable casing reused. No bueno.

man, I really didn't know reloads were such a liability. I'll just buy cheap factory loads and not risk dying. I'm all for not dying.

Yeah, if you do some looking around the internet at blown up guns, you will find that most of the time, it's not a failure of the gun, it's the ammo, and it will have been reloads/handloads that caused it. If you want to shoot reloads, only shoot your own, and be certain you know what you're doing and paying close attention to your loading. Even handloads (your own) should be safe, so long as you follow all the steps properly and don't get careless.

man, I really didn't know reloads were such a liability. I'll just buy cheap factory loads and not risk dying. I'm all for not dying.
Some guns have limited support at the base of the casing. Most famous is Glocks in 10mm and 40SW. They have since made adjustments to relish this in the later generations. However other manufacturers still have fairly unsupported barrels at the base of the cartridge casing. Causing what is also known as "Glock Smile". Reloading these cases can cause premature fractures and blowouts.

IMG_2158.JPG

There used to be a reloader in Salem, can't remember the name. I had bought a lot of .40 and .45 from them and shot it without issue. Bought a 250 rnd can of .44 Magnum from them. WOW!! Six foot group at 100 yds (10 1/2" Super Blackhawk), some of the bullets not even getting to the target, but hitting the ground 50-60 yds away. Needless to say I only shot a cylinder full but probably should have stopped sooner. When I got home I pulled down a few a to measure the powder charge. Weights ranged from 4.2 gr to 14 gr. Took about an hour with the bullet puller to pull them all down. Ditched the powder and reused the brass and bullets. I've always wondered if their equipment had a problem or if it was a disgruntled employee or what?? They went out of business between the time I bought it and when I shot it so never was able to pursue it.

Some guns have limited support at the base of the casing. Most famous is Glocks in 10mm and 40SW. They have since made adjustments to relish this in the later generations. However other manufacturers still have fairly unsupported barrels at the base of the cartridge casing. Causing what is also known as "Glock Smile". Reloading these cases can cause premature fractures and blowouts.

View attachment 317671

I have to echo the thoughts of 66PonyCar and Reno911 on this incident. This is the sort of ammunition failure that most commonly shows up with handguns that do not have fully supported chambers. It can be a combination of both the ammo being misloaded, together with the barrel of the pistol also not having a completely supported chamber. The unsupported area on the case is what then bulges out, or ruptures.

gz-m30kb6.jpg

Really, this incident sounds like a combination of using poor quality ammo, together with a poor quality handgun.

There was a lot of talk about the Taurus TCP several years ago, regarding it having lots of failure to feed problems. The solution that Taurus came up with, was to redesign the barrel's feed ramp. However, in making this change, I do believe that they may have created a situation where the ammo is not fully supported when chambered.

Here is a photo of TCP barrels. The barrel on the right is the older design that had problems jamming, while the barrel on the left is the newer design that was created to fix the jamming problem. It sure looks to me that the chamber on the new barrel design may very well not be fully supported.

barrels-450x600.jpg

So if I was in the OP's shoes, I would swear off both this ammo, and also the pistol. Use factory ammo, and get a handgun that has a fully supported chamber. Here is a photo I took of one of my pistols several years ago, to illustrate what a fully supported chamber looks like on a pistol:

DSC_0400b_on.jpg

Best photo that I could find online of the TCP's chamber was from a review on the Gunblast.com website. And it sure does not look like this round is fully supported while in the chamber. The angle of the photo is not ideal, however.

DSC09589.JPG

The OP should be able to easily check this himself, by placing a round in the chamber of the barrel, and see if the feed ramp exposes some of the side of the shell case, thus leaving it unsupported.

The early generations of the Glock were most infamous for having unsupported chambers. But I believe that they addressed that long ago when the Gen 3 guns came out. Here is a photo showing an unsupported chamber on an older Glock barrel on the right, and a newer supported one on the left:

lunapic_131553115041473_9.gif

Last Edited:
Ok... now I've come to appreciate my Para P14 even more. I don't have my Glock G19 anymore (Gen 2) but I did buy a G34 this year (Gen 4). I will be checking my Ruger SR9c just to be sure. Thanx Lance!!!

Tualatin Valley's rep. Was very helpful. It took him all of about 20 seconds to offer me a full refund on the pistol after looking at the pistol and brass.

He said it was a problem with their rounds loaded into the brass nickel casings, and they have since stopped reloading with them.

Very happy with the outcome and I'm happy to support TV Munitions in the future based off how well they treated me.

It might have been a double feed, but it definitely fired out of battery. The back half of the fired shell ruptured out the side, about 3-4mm out of the chamber(where it must have been seated when fired for that to happen)
A second round had attempted to chamber after and got mushed into a .380 pancake(complete with giant dimple on firing pin, thank god that one didnt blow)

I was using Tualatin Valley reloads I had just purchased that day from Canby Gunshow. Last time I buy reloads for a polymer pistol. Last time I support my local ammo co. Last time I buy Taurus (except a 1911 or a rossi lever action :p)
I do believe the manual says not to use reloaded or remanfactured ammo... Honestly, Taurus has no obligation or liability because you were using someone's reloads... Chances are they'll make you whole, don't blame the gun for inferior reloads...

Only reload allowed in any of my arms are the ones assembled by my very own hands... And my reloads have yet to blow up my TCP...

Tualatin Valley's rep. Was very helpful. It took him all of about 20 seconds to offer me a full refund on the pistol after looking at the pistol and brass.

He said it was a problem with their rounds loaded into the brass nickel casings, and they have since stopped reloading with them.

Very happy with the outcome and I'm happy to support TV Munitions in the future based off how well they treated me.

Great news! Now take the money, ad some extra and go buy a Glock G42 or G43.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top