Taurus .380 TCP Blew Up In My Hand

Discussion in 'Semi-Automatic Pistols' started by bigezfosheez, Oct 15, 2016.

1. bigezfosheez

bigezfosheez
    Washington County

Last weekend at tri-county, my new TCP blew up in my hand. It had about 20 rds through total. Fired 2 or 3 rds out of a freshly loaded magazine and the next shot blew out the left side of the frame by my thumb. I knew I got smacked by something off my pistol, but with what and where was a question for a few minutes until I checked myself out. I only wound up with a stinging thumb for 2 days and no open skin(thank god).

I emailed Taurus on Monday and chatted with a representative but have yet to get a resonse, not really pleased with their customer service although I hear they've got a lot to deal with since being down for the storm. Just kinda feel like I should be babied through the process since their POS nearly took off an apendage.

Just thought I'd share, cheap polymer guns are still risky and Taurus isn't the greatest at customer service.

2. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar
    Tigard, OR
    Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

:s0122:

Glad you are okay. But seriously post some pictures of the TCP!

Arleyg, Riot, Libertas7 and 10 others like this.
  3. Reno911

Reno911
    Hillsboro
    Silver Supporter Silver Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Glad to hear you were not seriously injured. I can't say any manufacturer doesn't let a bad apple through on occasion, however it seems Taurus semi-autos let more through than others. I should try not to judge as it could have easily been a double or mischarged ammo as well.

Also.

:s0122:

4. CountryGent

CountryGent
    Southern Oregon
    Platinum Supporter Platinum Supporter Gold Supporter

That reminds me of my father's Jennings in .22LR I shot in the early 90s. New pistol, first box of ammo, part way through a magazine and then (kerpuff) slide cracks right through. Easily the biggest POS I ever fired considering it self-destructed almost instantly. ;)

Libertas7, Patriot1668 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. bigezfosheez

bigezfosheez
    Washington County

It might have been a double feed, but it definitely fired out of battery. The back half of the fired shell ruptured out the side, about 3-4mm out of the chamber(where it must have been seated when fired for that to happen)
    A second round had attempted to chamber after and got mushed into a .380 pancake(complete with giant dimple on firing pin, thank god that one didnt blow)

I was using Tualatin Valley reloads I had just purchased that day from Canby Gunshow. Last time I buy reloads for a polymer pistol. Last time I support my local ammo co. Last time I buy Taurus (except a 1911 or a rossi lever action :p)

Sgt Nambu likes this.
  6. Velzey

Velzey
    Estacada Gunsmith
    Büchsenmacher Bronze Vendor

Post up pictures please!

Riot, Libertas7, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  7. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

Edit: Saw the mention of "factory" reloads. I had HSM ammo blow up two of my guns, a .44 Marlin, and an AR. The casings were cracked, and FORCED my guns out of battery.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  8. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

In reply # 5 the OP mentions using Reloads from Tualatin Valley.
    As general rule I avoid using other peoples reloads unless I trust them completely.
    Andy

tac, mtm68, Libertas7 and 10 others like this.
  9. bbbass

bbbass
    La Grande

Sounds like a squib on the previous round (it's hard to hear when it happens and the primer has just enough power to lodge the bullet in the throat of the barrel)... did you look inside the barrel afterwards? I've had that with my own reloads :rolleyes: and was barely saved in time by the RO/SO from discharging the next round.

P.S.: Highly mechanized reloaders often fail to drop the powder in whenever the process is interupted. I don't shoot other peoples' reloads. I'm fully capable of messing up on my own.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
    mtm68, Joe Link, oknow and 4 others like this.
  10. Mark W.

Mark W.
    Silverton, OR

Good luck on the warranty when using reloaded ammo.

Only ammo I shoot is my own or name brand factory (and very little of that) I measure each powder charge on my scale even for something like 9mm handgun fodder.

Most if not all manufacturers have a clause in the Warranty that you should not use reloads.

tac, nammac, Sgt Nambu and 2 others like this.
  11. Oregon Quartermaster

Oregon Quartermaster
    SE Portland
    Well-Known Member 2016 Volunteer

I keep seeing them at the shows, and since they don't know the difference between "caliber," and "cartridge," I have always doubted their expertise in loading.

cobalt327, NWGlockgal, nammac and 4 others like this.
  12. AndyinEverson

AndyinEverson
    Everson, Wa.
    Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

Yikes!
    It may be a simple case of "lazy speak" ... But to be a ammunition re-loader and not know the difference between "Caliber" and "cartridge" is kinda scary.
    When in public and talking about firearms and ammunition it is very important to use the correct words and terms , if you want to be taken seriously.
    Andy

F2CMaDMaXX, Arleyg, nammac and 5 others like this.
  13. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened?
    Pain in the neck.

SmitKoWitz, Sgt Nambu, bbbass and 2 others like this.
  14. WasrNwarpaint

WasrNwarpaint
    Portland

I wont risk using other peoples reloads ......EVER

too many stupid people seen in the news hourly to even think about that...cant even trust banks these days:rolleyes:

Arleyg, nammac, uscsoldier and 3 others like this.
  15. bigezfosheez

bigezfosheez
    Washington County

-VTDBzGqswt3QQX0LLC86CPZKeVX0oixHegGz3GhM-i3b0y7W41OVG_QsO8I?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg
    eW7-xuVKL4-v5DRlCWXiMOlQZHgcEZVoAoG2rPK4xHDxKdMcA55NuBUXcwEM?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg
    i'll find the blown out round and take a pic in a minute.

tac, F2CMaDMaXX, Libertas7 and 8 others like this.
  16. deadeye

deadeye
    Albany,OR.
    Moderator Staff Member

Don't expect too much from Taurus because you didn't read their manual. Can't blame Taurus for user error.

3.2 The use of reloaded (remanufactured) hand-loaded, or other non-standard

ammunition voids all warranties.

17. Medic!

Medic!
    What just happened?
    Pain in the neck.

That looks close to the thumb. :eek:

Sorry you lost a gun.
    But Glad you didn't loose any body parts. ;)

18. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim
    West of Oly
    Springer Slayer Silver Supporter 2016 Volunteer 2017 Volunteer

Glad to hear that no physical damage to you occurred but sad you are out a handgun.
    Is there any liability options on the reload company?

I have been very lucky using someone elses reloads but I shot it all with no problems at all. Now that I'm set up to reload my personal ammo I must be very vigilant if I am interrupted. I can see how that can screw up the process.....

Gaazoak, Slobray, Sgt Nambu and 3 others like this.
  19. 66PonyCar

66PonyCar
    Tigard, OR

Glad you didn't get hurt. So is there any bulge in the barrel or a bullet lodged inside of the barrel?

I never shoot anyone else's reloads. I even had a squib load with one of my own reloads. I was shooting my Ruger GP-100. The round went off but all I heard was a Pfffffft....sound. I instantly knew something was wrong and stopped immediately. I could see the bullet was lodged about 1/2 inch into the barrel. I was able to tap the bullet out without any problem.

The thing is I am very careful when I load and visually inspect each case to make sure that it has powder in it. So I still must have screwed up. I weighed one of the cartridges and then took it apart. It had the proper amount of powder. Then I reweighed all the cartridges in the batch and they all were within a 1/4 grain of each other. So unless the primer was defective in some way then I had not charged the case properly.

20. bigezfosheez

bigezfosheez
    Washington County

4ZrpQP5UkbBtjUL_dc1iB2E9UzkPFFtyNzP4JUegBnUGHPfQ_SXek2sClyfI?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg
    vFwe-1vbdtgBjRjniVuLhM4R4Apkcwn0ZmAyAEMOwqpt5f7kIPth8y4rV9x8?width=1024&height=576&cropmode=none.jpg

cooper, maddog, tac and 8 others like this.