JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Alas, while the emotionalized article about the family is touching, of greater concern should be the article's commentary about school psychologist Van Dreal's 1999 +/- development of the threat assessment tool 'currently' in use within educational systems in OR & WA as well as other states of this Union.

Powerpoint snapshot:
http://ocsd62.org/sites/default/files/pages/StudentThreatAssessmentJohnVanDreal-Fall2013.pdf

Interview after parkland shooting:
Florida shooting puts focus on safety plan developed by Salem-Keizer schools

[I am unable to ascertain if this 'tool' has been objectively peer reviewed by others within the educational academic profession per se., who could determine its reliability, repeatability, as well as it's validity to prevent squati! Nor Mr. VanDreal's credentialed educational background to facilitate development of such a body of work.]

How long before "threat assessment tools" are in common use on average citizens? My guess is not long after most guns are banned.

I only read part of this article. I find it very disturbing. On one hand we are forced to accept "Diversity", (not necessarily anything wrong with that). On the other hand this young mans "Diverse" interests and behavior are being brought up to the public as being dangerous.

So let's sum up this story; a librarian mistakenly reports a derogatory nickname that she overheard out of context and attributes it to the wrong person. Then thousands of dollars in resources and hundreds of hours of people's time are wasted to make sure a child with a difficult future is hounded into becoming what they claim to be trying to prevent. Got it. Oh, and the only way to get back to where he was academically before the witch hunt is to go to night school and miss out on the best part of school for him, theater.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
I sure hope all those folks involved are proud of themselves. Sadly, I'm sure they are.:(:(
It's the thought control that counts.

His first mistake was not recognizing the cop as a malign presence. If the cops come to your house and you didn't call them (and maybe if you did) you should regard them as being there to assail you with the full force of THE LAW and whatever you say or do will be used against you. If you say or do nothing other than invoking rights to silence and counsel you minimize what they can throw at you.

I just read that Portland Public Schools just got their latest budget adopted.
$ 655,000,000 That's 5x the budget of the country of Tonga. It would rank inside the top 180 countries annual budget.
Please don't ask about PPS's graduation rate.

I wholeheartedly appreciate the teachers and the efforts they make. It is the application and administration of this nonsense that is the problem.
I feel for this kid (and his parents) who have undoubtedly suffered to make the[ir] system "work".

I hope the people involved are ashamed of themselves. Talk about being inclusive, nothing says inclusive like alienating those who are different.

Exactly correct!
If you thought high school could be challenging, try mixing ASD and high school.

Last Edited:
"How, Mark wondered, do you tell the difference between a normal interest in guns and a dangerous one?"

There's the anti-gun line, early in the article. This line was put in early purposely in order to try to steer thoughts towards thinking that removing all guns would mean that nobody would have to ask that question anymore. Thus, subliminally setting the tone for thoughts about the conversation.

I do not have children but if or when i ever do, i hope to be fortunate enough to homeschool.

Our education system, among many others, has been hijacked by people with nefarious intentions.

I had a teacher in grade school give me a t shirt that read "it takes a village to raise a child" , brought it home, showed momma bear and never saw that shirt again.

Incoherent ramblings, sorry gents.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top