JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I frequently have deer wander across in front of me while shooting at 100 yards and they don't seem to care about the noise. No sign of alarm, they are just wandering around doing their thing.

I was shooting at 25 yards with my CZ Scorpion a few weeks back and a doe and her two yearlings were milling about eating probably 20 yards off to my left side. They didn't seem to care.

I shot an elk in the head a few years ago. It was in a group of about 40 other elk, all eating and/or laying down. The elk I shot went straight to the ground without a twitch, its brain missing.
The other elk continued eating and/or laying down. No sign of any alarm at all. This was about 40 yards from me. Once I started moving toward the downed elk the herd cleared out at high speed.

From my experience, the animals don't care about the shots. However, the target shooter moving around the area may well cause the animals to move along.

We had a scope problem one year while deer hunting and had to sight the rifle back in. We did it in camp and had to shoot it five or six times to get it dialed in. Later that afternoon I killed a nice mule deer buck from camp.

Andy, Andy, Andy...SC has been a confidential informant for years. What do you think all those lists are about anyway?

image.gif

I haven't hunted in years. Then it was for deer only a couple times with friends. I would like to spend some time off range with my shotgun and rifles shooting a few targets. How do you regular hunters feel about target shooters this time a year?
...during hunting season?
BAD IDEA
No better way to have a model 70 shoved up your --- than to be blasting away at some clays, while everyone else is trying as hard as possible to be as quiet as possible, so as not to scare away every animal within 20 square miles of you.
I mean, really. How big of a "Richard" do you wanna come off as?
...riiiight...
...so how about this?...
Why not shoot off-range during the off-season, like the spring/summer months.
That way, no one cares if you scare all the animals for a 50 mile radius.
The important part is you get it out of your system, then when deer hunting season comes around, that want to get off the range isn't so bad.
Really, I get it. It's a bit like "Cabin Fever".
So maybe the cure is not to sit in "the cabin", during the off season.
...get it?

Dean

Last Edited:
This reminds me of a story a friend of mine went to zero rifles for hunting season with a friend. They went to a gravel pit that was known for people to go shooting at Aka the Elk pit . Just so happened it was archery season . Now keep in mind they are hunting need a gravel pit commonly used for shooting . They came up and told my friend and his friend that they were hunting and to shoot somewhere else. Well they all got a little hot headed about and my friend ended up shooting any way.

At that time there was only one road in and out of the gravel pit and the 2 angry archery guys decided to cut down a tree over the road trapping them in the gravel pit.

So one of them had to walk all the way back to the main road to hitch a ride back to his place to get a chainsaw to cut there way out.
See? Don't piss off hunters during hunting season!

It's all called using judgement. Where is the "shooting spot" located. Is it right in the middle of prime hunting spot or is it on the edge somewhere . What time of day are you shooting. early morning or evening. Few people think about others now days. It's time we thought about others and used good judgement. Thinking extreme isn't cutting it.

Word. The other week I was driving back to Edmonds from neah bay and pulled off the highway to stop at one of my favorite hidden shooting spots. On the drive into the hills I noticed tons of cars (that were obviously hunting rigs) parked on the side of the road. I figured common courtesy should dictate that I move on to one of the more well known shooting spots closer to town, which is what I did. I had to put up with a couple of groups of yahoos doing yahoo stuff at the range, but I got my target practice in without pissing off any hunters. I'm totally fine with altering my routines every now and then if doing so helps peaceful coexistence between all outdoors enthusiasts.

As a bow hunter who has lost several opportunities at animals because guys decided to sight in their rifles up in the woods I love shooting my guns during rifle season. That said I only shoot in places that are regular shooting pits.

The thing I find interesting is certain definitions of "deep into the woods".

Some folks consider a few miles into Cochran road past reehers camp being "deep into the woods".

On any given Sunday at a lessor known, somewhat deep in the woods, shooting spot. I'll get guys dressed to the ear in camo driving a noisy diesel in bright red around. Do I ever see them get out of said rig, nope. Then they look at me like I'm the cause of their problems out target shooting.

The thing I find interesting is certain definitions of "deep into the woods".

Some folks consider a few miles into Cochran road past reehers camp being "deep into the woods".

On any given Sunday at a lessor known, somewhat deep in the woods, shooting spot. I'll get guys dressed to the ear in camo driving a noisy diesel in bright red around. Do I ever see them get out of said rig, nope. Then they look at me like I'm the cause of their problems out target shooting.

With the frequency and general inaccuracy of fire from hunters - they shouldn't complain if someone happens to go target shooting. Again - the woods - the public lands - belong to all of us. I shouldn't be forced to pay extortionate fees to a private gun club in order to shoot my rifles or pistols in August to December. We can share the resource, and try to respect each other's space - but a hunting license is not a title deed to all public lands with an exclusionary clause for anyone not in possession of one.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top