JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Be careful about where you go during hunting seasons to shoot as the regulations require you to have a tag for the game that is legal at the time.
I've never heard that before. Is that in Oregon or Washington. I've been out shooting many times during some sort of season. (And there's always something in season) And no one has ever questioned anyone about it. I would think it would depend on just how you were conducting yourself in the woods such as in camo and wandering around with a gun or such as that.

I haven't hunted in years. Then it was for deer only a couple times with friends. I would like to spend some time off range with my shotgun and rifles shooting a few targets. How do you regular hunters feel about target shooters this time a year?
You don't say where you are from, but better check your local game laws. In many states if you are caught in the woods during hunting season and shooting, even at targets, you had better have a valid tag for that season. Many game wardens have no sense of humor in these matters. You can not only face a fine and jail time, you can also lose your guns, vehicle, and hunting rights. Plus if convicted of a felony charge, you also lose your second amendment fights for the rest of your life. Ask yourself, is it worth it?

I haven't hunted in years. Then it was for deer only a couple times with friends. I would like to spend some time off range with my shotgun and rifles shooting a few targets. How do you regular hunters feel about target shooters this time a year?
those shy sensitive rascals hang out on the range when we are sighting in the rifles so it does not bother them too much

Take it from someone who has seen hundreds of road closures and regulations put upon us over the last sixty years:
Use what's left of your forest access (responsibly) whenever, and wherever, you have a chance. It will not be available as you know it, forever.

I see no problem with it, as long as you have reasonably safe practices (and wearing some hunter orange would be wise). Non-hunters are not excluded from the woods during hunting season.

Target shooting at a "known" shooting spot that is frequented by many people is something that's accepted as most all hunters know where they are at. Pulling over at most any random spot and shooting is frowned upon if you're in a probable hunting area. If you're out hunting and still haven't sighted in your rifle you need to think about that earlier in the year but if you know where a shooting range is I would go there and shoot without hesitation. As far as being arrested for hunting when you're shooting a paper target I would think the judge would be smarter than that. Some people also never hunt but own firearms. The forest is a designated area where target shooting is legal and a license to target shoot is not required.

I have been extremely annoyed at people target shooting when I'm trying to deer hunt. Sighting in rifles, usually.. and it's usually friday night right before dusk when I've been sitting on a ridge motionless trying to get a bead on a tree stump with occasionally flickering ears. So I can relate with the frustration.

At the same damn time, it's everyone's woods, man. I can't possible know when/if there's hunters in the area, barring some sign like seeing their cars parked at gates and bubblegum... and you can't expect people to not be allowed to shoot from September through November. So while it's annoying, sometimes you just have to be annoyed.

Yah, we had people in CA that felt the same way. It was always on opening morning that they decided they wanted to ride their dirt bikes only in the best hunting areas.

It used to be that we did right by each other and had common sense.

I choose not to shoot at critters with 4 legs, making holes in paper and making steel plates ring instead. That being said I have no problem with those that do. However I view hunting season of any kind (black powder, modern firearms, elk, moose, deer, cape buffalo, what have you) the same as New Years Eve - amateur night. Far to many over eager types out in the woods that are willing to shoot at sound and movement. So six weeks or so a year I stay home and clean weapons, inventory ammo and annoy the wife :)

One thing I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is that this season is a little different than in the past. Reason, the election..
A lot of people are now building AR type weapons and sighting them in, while they still feel comfortable to do so in a public area. This means they are out there for more than just a casual day of recreational shooting. This also rules out controlled static ranges for many.
I get the importance that hunting holds for so many. No doubt they are going to have more company than usual.

As for the hunting license point, I don't see how a person could be held culpable for engaging in an otherwise legal activity while in an established shooting area. Same goes for the hunting license requirement. That would be like citing someone for not having doe tags while hunting in buck season. Reasonable evidence of intent would need to be present, like a dead doe. Shooting at a static target in an established area is not it.

No law requiring a hunting license while in the woods, armed, in Oregon. ODFW tried that crap and it got slapped down - thank you preemption. If an overzealous newb game cop wants to give you a ticket, fight it in court. Be polite to him in the field, but fight tooth and nail in the courtroom. ODFW gets way too big for their britches far too often.

The public forests belong to all of us, not just those who have a hunting license. We can all use the lands, even during hunting season. Those of us who are sportsmen must share the resources - the water and the woods - with other types of users. We don't have to like it, but we do have to live with it. And we need to try to respect each other while afield, lest we give the ninnies in Salem or DC an excuse to exclude us, and our activities.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top