JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well Folks,

I have my paperwork in yesterday for one of these.

I too have a bit of concern about price vs value, but I was extremely happy with the Garand I purchased from CMP a couple years back. I figured it was with a shot. We can all compare your M1s when they start showing up and see.

JB

You can reload straight cases a dozen times if you don't hot up your loads.

I'm a bit leery of the CMP carbines, at $700 I might just pass on a pig-in-a-poke and spend the same or a couple hundred more on one I can look over first, locally.

I miss the days of the $200 M1 Carbine, picked up a couple back then. 1943 Underwood and 1944 Postal Meter, both excellent shooters.

Make a SKS into a Carbine, save 400 for ammo..
I built one for about 200 or so over the cost of the SKS.
Ide love to have one of those WW2 relics but simply to high cost for the fun.
That said doesnt take away from their awesomeness, but I'm poor so made one from an SKS.

Ah come on guys. Spend the wealth. I have been trying to pick up a decent M1 for over 3years now. Just nothing popping up locally in the NW.

For you guys looking to free of some room in the safe, I'm your man.:s0084:

As for the CMP The $700 is for the service grade which typically is a shooter often with An excellent newer barrel the $625 is for the "rack grade" these rifles may or may not have pitted barrels the CMP is very conservative and the rack grade will often be better than those sold at gun shows for a higher cost. All of these rifles are shooters. Also the .30 carbine GI ammo was never corrosive. I have over the years purchased 7 rifles from the CMP from the .30 carbine to the garand all were better than described!

The GI ammo was all non-corrosive. The French ended up with a lot of them after the war and THEY made corrosive ammo for it. You're unlikely to run into any of that though.
I've had a casual love affair with the M1 Carbine for 50 years. It's an elegant little rifle. Dad carried one as a medic in the Philippines and as a kid, when I discovered them, I was able to talk him into getting one. A "good thing".
If you want someone to talk you out of it, I ain't your guy ;)

Ah come on guys. Spend the wealth. I have been trying to pick up a decent M1 for over 3years now. Just nothing popping up locally in the NW.

For you guys looking to free of some room in the safe, I'm your man.:s0084:
Have you been going to the ARPC show in Albany? That's where I got my M1 for all of $560 including 2 mags and all the ammo in the photo. That bandolier is full.

WjdIs1N.jpg

It is an Inland and it shoots great.

Despite its age, the .30 carbine is great fun. I played with one that belonged to a friend, Universal, I think. This was around 1975. I recall RCBS charged extra for a carbide sizing die. The Speer half jacket bullet worked fine and was affordable. H-110 and Olin 296 works well.

My gun show buddy who passed in 2006, was a WWII Pacific theater Marine, a "balanced guy" with two Purple Hearts and two Doctorates. When he went ashore on Okinawa with the Sixth Marines, he had a .30 carbine. A Jap came at him and Al hit him twice in the chest with the carbine, without stopping him. Fortunately a nearby Marine had a Garand, and one .30-06 round finished the Jap. Al threw down the carbine, took a Garand and bandolier of ammo off a dead Marine and continued inland. He had no use for the little FMJ .30 carbine round.

Personally, I have a hunch that with a modern 110 grain JHP, the .30 carbine might have stopping power similar to a 110 grain .357 JHP. More velocity, less bore area, but I think it's in the ballpark. If they were still cheap, I'd maybe grab one for an affordable home defense carbine. A buddy sold his much used "paratroop" folding stock carbine just as the prices were starting upward, going to an AR-15. Today, they are expensive. I would say, if you have the money to buy one for fun or collectibility. For practical, cost effective reasons, I would buy something else.

I have a similar story. In my high school days, '71-72, I was at the range shooting Dad's Carbine. An "old" guy was looking on and during a cease fire he said "I picked up one of those on Iwo Jima because I was tired of carrying that heavy Garand. I never regretted anything so much in my entire life" and walked away.

I've often wished I'd chased him down for more details :(

They are great fun. There were once three of those "almost straight" self loader cartridges, the .30 Carbine, the .351 Winchester Self Loading and the .401 WSL.

I know some police and prison guards favored the .351 about a century ago. I can't help wondering if a .351 or .401 in a more modern carbine might be a good brush gun.

True for the most part until they reached Myitkyina where they had more cleared area, then the Garands, BARs, and 30 Cal Machine guns showed their worth. Carbines too.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top