JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Merry Christmas everyone, I have a buyer from Washington lined up to buy my shotgun from. I live in Oregon and the buyer wants me to meet him at WA FFL to handle the transfer. Any special rules/laws I should be aware of in this situation?

I have purchased a long gun from ffl in WA and have had WA resident come to Oregon and purchase firearm from me at Oregon FFL. But I have never carried a long gun across state lines to sell it.

Yes, you're good to go as long as the purchaser passes the background check through the FFL.
Thanks, it's funny I haven't had much interest in the shotgun and Christmas Eve I got the email from the WA buyer and this morning I had someone from Oregon who wanted to buy it. It must be the Christmas air.

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State? | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

May an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA in any State?
Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person's own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser's State of residence and the licensee's State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

So, you can buy or sell a long gun in any state as long as the sale is legal in that state. You just have to abode by the laws and rules of that state.

You can sell a handgun in any state as long as you abide by laws and rules of that state. You can only buy and accept delivery of a handgun in your own state. You could pay for a handgun in another state and then take delivery thru an FFL in your own state. You could sell a handgun to a person in another state by shipping the handgun to an FFL in their state. You can ship any firearm directly to an FFL in another state, but you can't ship a handgun via the USPS, only by 'common carrier'. If you ship to an FFL for repair, they can ship directly back to you. This is federal law - state laws vary.

Like previously said, interstate transfer at FFL=GTG, but theres going to be a guy on here shortly typing a 7 paragraph essay grossly overcomplicating the situation saying it depends on all kinds of things like the trim package of your vehicle and the price of tea in China.

Like previously said, interstate transfer at FFL=GTG, but theres going to be a guy on here shortly typing a 7 paragraph essay grossly overcomplicating the situation saying it depends on all kinds of things like the trim package of your vehicle and the price of tea in China.
Oh, Oh that reminds me my car is the CE package if that makes a difference:)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top