JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
_nc_ohc=XnDTjK1NkWgAX-dZeY0&_nc_ht=scontent-sea1-1.jpg

from the WSJ Editorial Board:

Rising rates amid high inflation are driving down the value of those "safe" assets and plenty of others too. Unrealized losses for securities held by U.S. banks stood at $620 billion as of December 2022, according to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. Other regulators around the world are noticing, too. Germany's financial regulator in January identified this as a significant concern for banks in the eurozone's largest economy, though officials believe banks are sufficiently prepared to absorb the hit for now.

Now taxpayers and depositors must wait nervously to see if any other fuses are burning away in the financial shadows.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/silico...93bcm23dyl5&reflink=desktopwebshare_permalink

My advice is to stop buying unnecessary items and services now, if your job security is in doubt. Pare down monthly expenses to bare minimum. Lower your standards for replacement job. Meta is laying off another 10,000 employees.

if your job security is in doubt.
I fretted over that noise for years. Reductions in force (I lost one job when Jimmy Carter cut DoD), cost containments, realignments, blah blah blah. But now I don't have that hanging over my head anymore. Now my worries are about health. It's always something.

Unrealized losses
Bonds, notes and other instruments loaded up when interest rates were near zero. Now, they are hard to unload and will incur losses when unloaded. So they are carried on the books at their nominal value but are worth substantially less. Bombs waiting to go off.

Now taxpayers and depositors must wait nervously to see if any other fuses are burning away in the financial shadows.
Like swaps and derivatives.

I find it interesting that with this latest banking curfuffle, people are drawing money out of banks and plunking it into crypto.

Decades ago, my parents explained to me, to the extent of their understanding, what brought about the Depression. I couldn't quite fathom the idea of "tight money" nor could I get how it was that money would just disappear. Since then, I have kind of gotten it. That is, when financial exuberance is going on and lots of new money is created out of speculation, it's created out of air. It's not created, as Karl Marx would have it, out of labor. So money that is created out of speculative enthusiasm can just as easily disappear when the enthusiasm goes away.

Maybe, it's your second chance? To buy some US Banks......CHEAP?

Aloha, Mark

PS........BTW, anyone notice the Bitcoin prices lately? OMG!?!?!

BUT, But, but........I wouldn't.

Last Edited:
My advice is to stop buying unnecessary items and services now, if your job security is in doubt. Pare down monthly expenses to bare minimum. Lower your standards for replacement job. Meta is laying off another 10,000 employees.

Hey remember that hot housing market? Skyrocketing rent increases? As soon as we have mass unemployment those problems will vanish. Look how great Joe is doing, common man.

Treasury Secretary said over the weekend that she has been watching a few other banks but now has gone silent.

Our government wouldn't lie to us though.

Don't wear a mask
Wear a mask
Wear two masks

Masks eradicated the flu for two years
Masks don't stop Rona

Shots keep you alive... er uh keep "others" alive but not you....

Just thinking out loud but it looks like people are moving their money from the small banks into big banks that are too big to fail. As the small banks fail the big banks will have control, probably not good for us.

From what I read it looks like the banks will set up a CCP style social credit score that will make buying guns and ammo difficult. If you believe this may be our future then buying now may help you survive.

Just thinking out loud but it looks like people are moving their money from the small banks into big banks that are too big to fail. As the small banks fail the big banks will have control, probably not good for us.

From what I read it looks like the banks will set up a CCP style social credit score that will make buying guns and ammo difficult. If you believe this may be our future then buying now may help you survive.
Credit unions not owned by big banks (which they usually are not) are, IMO, safer than banks - and better service IMO.

That said, as long as you don't have more than $250K in an FDIC protected account, you are better off (nothing is foolproof, but FDIC protected accounts would be the last to go, if ever). The only places I have that much $ sitting in, is my real estate and my IRAs. I am not worried about my checking account in a credit union as it contains less than 1% of my net worth.

Status

Upcoming Events

Good News!! The Carson, WA shows are back!!
Carson, WA
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top