JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I own a number of 22 hand guns. Too many as a matter of fact.
I gravitate towards the Mosquito most often.

I traded into one of those and traded it off a few months later.
Hated the trigger.Ergonomics were great,grip felt good in the hand,but I didn't fall for it.I really wanted to love it too

I love my little P22 and my 7" Buckmark and my 7" Ruger target Mark III

And I don't get even close to taking these down far enough to count all the parts. Just use more cleaner on them :s0155:

Thanks everybody for the responses. My thinking changed a bit, and mjbskwim's post definitely helped. I thought about it and decided that I don't really need something that's too close to regular semi-automatics, which opened up the field to the Ruger, Browning and Beretta Neos. I went to a store to feel these three. Immediately did not like the Neos' feel. Weird angled grip. Looks cool, but didn't feel right to me. The Ruger was OK'ish, but I liked the Browning's grip a lot. Also tried the Walther, but it's too small for me now, which somewhat rules the SR22 out as well.

Picked up a pack of dummy rounds at my friendly FFL, because I wanted to feel the trigger. Tried the Buckmark they had and also the Mosquito. Mosquito wasn't bad, but kind of nowhere compared to the Browning. As I read many good things about both the Ruger and the Browning, I decided to go for the Browning. Not a "modern looking" gun, but it feels great, sights nicely and has a great trigger too.

Thanks everybody for responding and sharing your thoughts, it was quite helpful!

Thanks everybody for the responses. My thinking changed a bit, and mjbskwim's post definitely helped. I thought about it and decided that I don't really need something that's too close to regular semi-automatics, which opened up the field to the Ruger, Browning and Beretta Neos. I went to a store to feel these three. Immediately did not like the Neos' feel. Weird angled grip. Looks cool, but didn't feel right to me. The Ruger was OK'ish, but I liked the Browning's grip a lot. Also tried the Walther, but it's too small for me now, which somewhat rules the SR22 out as well.

Picked up a pack of dummy rounds at my friendly FFL, because I wanted to feel the trigger. Tried the Buckmark they had and also the Mosquito. Mosquito wasn't bad, but kind of nowhere compared to the Browning. As I read many good things about both the Ruger and the Browning, I decided to go for the Browning. Not a "modern looking" gun, but it feels great, sights nicely and has a great trigger too.

Thanks everybody for responding and sharing your thoughts, it was quite helpful!

The Buckmark is an excellent choice..I know you will enjoy it a lot.

Howdy.

Me and mjbskwim usually run shoulder-to-shoulder (and like wolves in a pack occasionally bite at one another). His advice is better than the rest, in that he says no brand. Take this advice with greater than others (including mine).

You tell of your purposes to be "plinking and training", yet you make no mention of desire for longevity or reliability. That is OKAY. Some do not ever consider (or do consider, and disregard) longevity and reliability in exchange for short-term usage. In today's world, where a television is expected to be owned only 2-4 years, this point of view is understandable. I would submit (from a guy who grew up with parents who kept the sameTV for 25 years) that guns are different. You should consider it as something you will be proud and happy to own (and still in great shape) 20 years from now; most probably even to 40-50 years.

For bullet-proof lifetime durability in a .22 pistol, there is no better monolith than a Ruger Super Single Six. (Yes, I noticed all discussion toward autos.). If monolithic lifetime durability and reliability with minimal maintennace is NOT your criteria (I'm not real sure what you mean by "training"), and by "training" you mean that you regularly and daily carry an auto for self-defense or employment, then of course, an auto needs to be of greater consideration.

The ONLY absolutely monolithically durable auto .22 on the market today is the Ruger MKIII (but a MKI or MKII would be fine too). No other auto .22 has the rep. Yes, I'd grab a High Standard in a heartbeat for accuracy. ( I own a High Standard AND a Ruger auto). But the Ruger to a High Standard (for ruggedness) is a Willys to a Cherokee. Discount ANY AND ALL concerns about difficulty of disassembly: in 20 minutes you can tutor yourself to perform it all blindfolded. The Ruger is merely different from other autos. Not harder.

If by "training", you are talking about training toward usage of a centerfire pistol, then the only route there is to find the rimfire gun that most nearly matches the control surfaces of your centerfire gun. Accuracy really would take a second-fiddle, as any .22lr is bound to shoot better (at least by your handling) than the centerfire counterpart.

I have had a brief conversation with an indoor range owner, saying the SR22 has had some problems with hard range use (he sent both his new loaner range guns back). Ruger has a good reputation, and they will make it right, but this preliminary report from new guns in hard usage is not favorable. As with any new product, give it some time to work the kinks out.

The MKIII has all its kinks discovered and worked out. The Super Single Six never had any and never will.

Thanks for responding! The training is mostly about "shooting right", not so much about getting the controls right. I was considering it, but it's not really that big of a deal. Most controls are the same, and others have a different location. If you can switch between 2 cars, you can switch between 2 guns, in a way. :)

Reliability is an issue, that's why I mentioned what I read about the Walther and Sig, but that supposedly is fixed. The Mk III's disassembly and reassembly aren't that big of a deal I saw, just make sure you do a few steps with care. Before going out to purchase that was already in the background. I just really liked the buckmark's grip better than the Mk III's, so that one won. There's no real field strip on that, and disassembly requires hex keys, which could make it an issue to rezero it when put back together. Then again, a few rounds, twist of screwdriver and good to go. :)

Thanks again for your considerations, very valid ones. I did go to a more traditional gun and I expect it to work fine for a long time to come.

If its truly for training, your platform should be IDENTICAL. That's where the .22 conversion comes in. I carry a G23, so I have an Advantage Arms .22 conversion unit for it. The trigger press is the same, the weight is (almost) the same, the holster is the same, the sights are the same, the controls are the same, my light is mounted to it and I draw it from the same holster. Hard to beat. Beretta makes one here.

Training for a specific gun: Yes, training to shoot better: Not necessarily. The Beretta kit is unfortunately as much as a complete gun and difficult to get. If it were different, I'd probably get that. Maybe I still will, some day. :)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top