JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This topic must've been milked to death, but opinions change, new products get introduced and what not.

I'm looking for a handgun in 22LR which I want to use for both training and plinking. Having done an appleseed last weekend, I feel a stronger drive on improving my technique, but the gearslut in me wants to be satisfied too. Fortunately that falls in line with the prepper mentality of worthless money vs. valuable hardware in hand. ;)

In any case, since my main handgun at this moment is my M9, I'm leaning a little more towards the "classic" semi-autos as opposed to the Mark III, 22/45 or Buck Mark. All due to familiarity with the way they handle. I also prefer the M9/Sig/modern grips that have.. uhh... some "junk in the trunk" that fits well in the palm of my hand. The classic 1911 grip doesn't have that as much.

Current contenders:
- Sig Mosquito.
Pros: It's a Sig, local dealer has one, reports of quality have improved with more recent production, I enjoyed it when I shot it (tried it a few months ago at a friend's place)
Cons: Production apparently still hit & miss, no dry fire, same or similar zinc alloy slide that had problems reported with Walther, picky on ammo (related to varying quality reported I guess), not US made and from what I understood not even really a sig.
- Ruger S22.
Pros: Although new, reviews are promising, also not too picky on ammo, alu slide, nice sights, can dry fire (just like my 10/22, Ruger knows how to make 22lr), US made
Cons: New, maybe reliability bugs can come up?, Ruger's history in 2A restrictions
- Walther P22.
Pros: Household name and been around for a long time.
Cons: Zinc alloy slide that has had reports of wearing out after a few thousand rounds (10 bricks or so), not sure how that is now. No dry fire. Not US made, but from what I read quite well supported by S&W.
- Beretta 87.
Pros: As much as my M9 as it gets, unless I get the conversion kit for that. Haven't read much about its performance.
Cons: Expensive!!! Might as well get the hard-to-get conversion kit for my 92FS/M9. Not made in US.

Outsiders due to shape/deviation from "standard" semi auto:
- Ruger Mark III and 22/45.
Pros: Supposedly super accurate and built like a tank. From what I see more affordable than the main contenders. Also US made.
Cons: Difficult to take apart/put together. Muzzle heavy with bull barrel. Ruger's 2a stance in past.
- Browning Buck Mark.
Pretty much the same as the Ruger Mark III for pros/cons. Not sure how they would compare.
- Beretta Neos.
Pros: I have a knack for Italian stuff. It has emotion. Never been to Italy, but I've driven an Italian car and have a great Italian espresso machine. Plus I have an M9. Cheap.
Cons: Really deviates from the standard like the others. Weird forward grip that I haven't held yet, could be an issue. Don't know about reliability.

Some might argue against my comments on origin and Ruger's 2A attitude in the past. They're not the main drivers of the choice, but play a minor role. At this moment, these things are in some way important to me.

I'm leaning to Ruger's SR22, but please let me know what you think. I'm open to any good opinion and I'm still forming mine. If I decide on something that has to be ordered, so be it. I'll still go to my local mom&pop store to order it there. One thing that does play a role is how well the general usage compares to a "normal" semi auto.

Thanks for your inputs!

I have an SR22 and love it. Field strips similar to other Ruger semi, shoots well, and will eat ammo. My wife loves it too, and choses to EDC that most regularly. You can also get a threaded barrel, if you choose, for around 150. Extra parts are readily available from Ruger. I plan on getting an extra barrel and spring so I have one on hand. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.

This topic must've been milked to death, but opinions change, new products get introduced and what not.

I'm looking for a handgun in 22LR which I want to use for both training and plinking. Having done an appleseed last weekend, I feel a stronger drive on improving my technique, but the gearslut in me wants to be satisfied too. Fortunately that falls in line with the prepper mentality of worthless money vs. valuable hardware in hand. ;)

In any case, since my main handgun at this moment is my M9, I'm leaning a little more towards the "classic" semi-autos as opposed to the Mark III, 22/45 or Buck Mark. All due to familiarity with the way they handle. I also prefer the M9/Sig/modern grips that have.. uhh... some "junk in the trunk" that fits well in the palm of my hand. The classic 1911 grip doesn't have that as much.

Current contenders:
- Sig Mosquito.
Pros: It's a Sig, local dealer has one, reports of quality have improved with more recent production, I enjoyed it when I shot it (tried it a few months ago at a friend's place)
Cons: Production apparently still hit & miss, no dry fire, same or similar zinc alloy slide that had problems reported with Walther, picky on ammo (related to varying quality reported I guess), not US made and from what I understood not even really a sig.
- Ruger S22.
Pros: Although new, reviews are promising, also not too picky on ammo, alu slide, nice sights, can dry fire (just like my 10/22, Ruger knows how to make 22lr), US made
Cons: New, maybe reliability bugs can come up?, Ruger's history in 2A restrictions
- Walther P22.
Pros: Household name and been around for a long time.
Cons: Zinc alloy slide that has had reports of wearing out after a few thousand rounds (10 bricks or so), not sure how that is now. No dry fire. Not US made, but from what I read quite well supported by S&W.
- Beretta 87.
Pros: As much as my M9 as it gets, unless I get the conversion kit for that. Haven't read much about its performance.
Cons: Expensive!!! Might as well get the hard-to-get conversion kit for my 92FS/M9. Not made in US.

Outsiders due to shape/deviation from "standard" semi auto:
- Ruger Mark III and 22/45.
Pros: Supposedly super accurate and built like a tank. From what I see more affordable than the main contenders. Also US made.
Cons: Difficult to take apart/put together. Muzzle heavy with bull barrel. Ruger's 2a stance in past.
- Browning Buck Mark.
Pretty much the same as the Ruger Mark III for pros/cons. Not sure how they would compare.
- Beretta Neos.
Pros: I have a knack for Italian stuff. It has emotion. Never been to Italy, but I've driven an Italian car and have a great Italian espresso machine. Plus I have an M9. Cheap.
Cons: Really deviates from the standard like the others. Weird forward grip that I haven't held yet, could be an issue. Don't know about reliability.

Some might argue against my comments on origin and Ruger's 2A attitude in the past. They're not the main drivers of the choice, but play a minor role. At this moment, these things are in some way important to me.

I'm leaning to Ruger's SR22, but please let me know what you think. I'm open to any good opinion and I'm still forming mine. If I decide on something that has to be ordered, so be it. I'll still go to my local mom&pop store to order it there. One thing that does play a role is how well the general usage compares to a "normal" semi auto.

Thanks for your inputs!

My favorites you don't have listed...High Standard Trophy and the High Standard Victor. Both are super for what you are looking for. Personally I would not be looking for a new gun, you can find teh High Standard's used for a pitance of what they are worth.....back in the 60's my High Standards cost $250-$350..more if you have multipul barrels and slides (I do) you can find good clean used examples of Camden manufactured Trophys and Victors for under $1k.

others, one you have listed, the Buckmark is nice, as is the Colt Woodsman

Thanks Mcneal and Hermannr!

Thanks for those extra suggestions, I'll look into it. I'm not really looking to spend $1k on this. :) I'll have a look into it, also the Colt Woodsman.

I have the p22 and I love it. It is reliable and I haven't had any issues with the slide. I would guess that I have about 8k rounds through mine. Its a good price and you could buy the one that has a short and long barrel.

Thanks Mcneal and Hermannr!

Thanks for those extra suggestions, I'll look into it. I'm not really looking to spend $1k on this. :) I'll have a look into it, also the Colt Woodsman.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention...the High Standards.. parts are available (and accessories) from Brownells, and Volquartsen makes custon barrels for them too. So even if they were manufactured in the 40's to the 70's it's not like you are out to dry with no parts.

High Standard also makes non-compitition pistols, like the sport king that are not as expensive. Look them up on gunbroker, finished sales, to see what they are actually sell for.

I just picked up a Taurus PT-22 ( another one we have two) they are nice and reliable and nice size hand grips for bigger hands this is the one I got today.

Paid 219.00 for it !

Picture doesn't do it justice.

My vote goes to the Ruger! It was my first gun and has never let me down, even after tons of neglect. Eleven years later I know better as far as care goes but, she still is 100% reliable!

No ones mentioned the FEG SMC-22. Awesome walther clone if im not mistaken. Inexpensive and well made. You seem like someone who does their homework and there is plenty of stuff floating around about them.

I regularly shoot my Beretta Neos that I have owned for over two years and I own one or two of the other 22's you mentioned...

It has proven to be reliable, accurate and eats anything you feed it. Although it looks unconventional, I find it to be quite comfortable to shoot.

Also, nice to pull out a pistol at the range that doesn't look like everyone else's.

I have an SR22 and love it. Field strips similar to other Ruger semi, shoots well, and will eat ammo. My wife loves it too, and choses to EDC that most regularly. You can also get a threaded barrel, if you choose, for around 150. Extra parts are readily available from Ruger. I plan on getting an extra barrel and spring so I have one on hand. I love it, and would recommend it to anyone.

Agreed, I have 3 of them and they are my favorite 22 pistol to shoot. Don't think you will be disappointed with the SR22 by Ruger. Good luck! -G

I have the p22 and I love it. It is reliable and I haven't had any issues with the slide. I would guess that I have about 8k rounds through mine. Its a good price and you could buy the one that has a short and long barrel.

Thank you, good to hear good stories too. I did hear mixed sounds, and it's probably an early bug now fixed. Shouldn't count it out.

I just picked up a Taurus PT-22 ( another one we have two) they are nice and reliable and nice size hand grips for bigger hands this is the one I got today.

Paid 219.00 for it !

Picture doesn't do it justice.

Thanks, but that's a bit small. :)

how about the s and w mp 22? I have one and it is the best at shooting any type of 22.

True, one I forgot (of many, probably)

+1 for the Ruger SR22P

Make sure you get the one with the slide marked SR22P. It's the newer version. The first revision had a few bugs.

Thank you for the tip!

No ones mentioned the FEG SMC-22. Awesome walther clone if im not mistaken. Inexpensive and well made. You seem like someone who does their homework and there is plenty of stuff floating around about them.

Another one to check out, thank you too!

Another junk in the trunk type gun would be the Smith & Wesson M&P .22

Yup, forgot that one. I hear good things about that one too, especially since it's more or less the 22 of their 9/40 M&P.

I regularly shoot my Beretta Neos that I have owned for over two years and I own one or two of the other 22's you mentioned...

It has proven to be reliable, accurate and eats anything you feed it. Although it looks unconventional, I find it to be quite comfortable to shoot.

Also, nice to pull out a pistol at the range that doesn't look like everyone else's.

Thanks, happy to hear good sounds about the Neos. The unusual look does appeal, but on the other hand it'll be training with a non-standard. Tempting tempting... might need to buy 2 then. :)

From personal experience, I would stay away from Sig Mosquitos as I had an absolutely horrible experience owning 2 of them. The Walther P22 was decent, but like the Mosquito, it is very picky with Ammo. I currently have a Taurus 9-shot Tracker revolver and it has fed thousands of rounds, including the cheap Remington Thunder bolts (which always jam in the Mosquitos/P22) flawlessly and was very accurate and easy to clean as well.

I see how some like the 1911/22. It fits the hand the same as any other 1911.
Except weight.

But when I buy a gun,I try to see how it draws and comes to target.
Does it fit my hand and place it self so the sites are on target without me looking at them?
The 1911 does this in my hand. Yeah I miss the target sometimes,but not because the gun doesn't fit my hand.
So I figure,if I can fit the gun into my hand,in a way that it naturally come on target,the gun is a good training gun.

Now I ran heavy equipment for 30 years. Most of the tractors were not alike. Some of the controls were manufacturer specific.
I learned to adjust myself to the tractor and the controls.
You have to make yourself adjust to the guns you shoot best.
Get the concept down. The concept of aiming and control,then,if the gun fits your hand good,you will point it good and come on target naturally. Making aiming unnecessary.
Practice by trying a lazered gun at a gun store. I know,WTF?
I have sold guns at shops by showing how you place the gun in your hand to look and shoot. Placing the laser on the "called target" instantaneously.

So basically,you need to up your hand eye coordination.
Then you can train with any weapon and the end results will e the same.

So basically,you need to up your hand eye coordination.
Then you can train with any weapon and the end results will e the same.

Fair enough. The basics are pretty much the same and I found that a pleasant hold plus "easy" sight helps. I'm still starting with the whole shooting thing, especially compared to many here, so my ventures into other areas will definitely come some day. The hand-eye thing is pretty decent so far.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top