JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think it would help to have some kind of notification on a thread (besides a moderator post) to let a reader/poster know that a thread is having problems with content/etc.

I think that some posters don't see a moderators warning/caution posts until it is too late, or maybe not at all and then the thread is closed. This could easily be due to the position of the post in the thread (previous page) and/or the poster simply doesn't read all posts in the thread and makes a post that just adds fuel to the fire.

Yes, posters probably shouldn't do that - but people sometimes forget themselves in the heat of the moment.

What I suggest is maybe an indicator or a popup when a person posts to a thread that is in that status - something along the lines of "this thread is under warning for content, please think twice about what you post" or something like that before they can click on the "post" button. The same may go for individual posts to a thread.

This sounds like a good idea. A colored box added, edited in, just under the thread topic at the beginning of the thread. If a thread is more than one page a mod could post with the same worded box in a post as a notice for those that may not have noticed the box under the thread title. No reason for mods to pussy-foot around with the "Guys you need to remember the golden rule", or some such. Just the box with "this thread is under warning for content, please think twice about what you post" should suffice. It would be great if something like that would get people to quit feeding the blatant trolls and getting threads closed. Face it, trying to "TEACH" the trolls and trouble makers a lesson, is what gets threads closed 95% of the time. Letting a blatant troll yammer to himself, with no other input, would be a beautiful thing to see.

Looks like not everyone has seen Joe's announcement yet - as @SKrueger just mentioned, as of yesterday, this very thing is being put into place. Hopefully it will help cut down on the number of threads that actually have to be closed.

@The Heretic Joe Link has devised a banner that can be place in threads to warn people if a thread is in imminent danger of being closed. It will show up directly above where you are typing to post in a thread. We are hoping that this will help and alert people of its status. He mentioned it when he sent out his last message to everyone.

@Joe Link can we get the banner placed on this thread so everyone can see what it looks like.
I'd be happy to test out the effectiveness of said banner:p

Looks like not everyone has seen Joe's announcement yet - as @SKrueger just mentioned, as of yesterday, this very thing is being put into place. Hopefully it will help cut down on the number of threads that actually have to be closed.

I'll be honest I only read key areas of that notice. Been this route on here before. Maybe the added mods and whatnot's to the site may help. I'll try and be optimistic, best I can muster :cool:

The moderators should punish the violators rather than close the thread down altogether. If members violate the rules then they should be receive a temporary ban or permanent ban depending on the amount and frequency of violations. It's like trying to ban all gun ownership because a few criminals commit a firearms crime.

I think there are a few trolls on this forum who are intentionally causing problems in order to shut down threads.

I'll be honest I only read key areas of that notice. Been this route on here before. Maybe the added mods and whatnot's to the site may help. I'll try and be optimistic, best I can muster :cool:

It's been a little while since the issue last had to be addressed. In my opinion, things have gone well here since the last change in moderation protocol. But as of late, some folks have really been pushing the edge of the rules and making it difficult to keep the site enjoyable and useful. That Joe has to revisit this again comes on the heels of some folks making the mods lives more difficult, so I'm not surprised at this latest notification.

I would hope the members on this site would police themselves, but a few seem to be unable or unwilling to do that, which means we all get caught up in their drama.

It's a private site, always has been. We're here at the invitation and pleasure of @Joe Link so it doesn't bother me in the least that I'm expected to follow his rules in his house. I would expect the same of anyone in my house (or on my site, if I had one).

Let's just hope folks will calm down a bit and give the mods a break. Maybe that banner won't be needed at all.

The moderators should punish the violators rather than close the thread down altogether. If members violate the rules then they should be receive a temporary ban or permanent ban depending on the amount and frequency of violations. It's like trying to ban all gun ownership because a few criminals commit a firearms crime.

Problem with that is most of the time those people are not breaking the rules. They are just antagonizing other members. They skirt the rules and when things get heated the mods have to do something so we all take the hit. If we could all just remember to ignore those types they would go away.

I know that this is not easy because I have gotten into it with members as well. Now I have to be careful about what or how I say things. But the reason I accepted the position of mod was to help keep this site that we all love up and running the way Joe Link wants it. As etrain mentioned it is his house.

It's been a little while since the issue last had to be addressed. In my opinion, things have gone well here since the last change in moderation protocol. But as of late, some folks have really been pushing the edge of the rules and making it difficult to keep the site enjoyable and useful. That Joe has to revisit this again comes on the heels of some folks making the mods lives more difficult, so I'm not surprised at this latest notification.
I would hope the members on this site would police themselves, but a few seem to be unable or unwilling to do that, which means we all get caught up in their drama.
It's a private site, always has been. We're here at the invitation and pleasure of @Joe Link so it doesn't bother me in the least that I'm expected to follow his rules in his house. I would expect the same of anyone in my house (or on my site, if I had one).
Let's just hope folks will calm down a bit and give the mods a break. Maybe that banner won't be needed at all.

I agree about following the rules, just not real warm and fuzzy about the solution. Its just how I see it, nothing spiteful or anti-NWFA about it.
I have a hard time trying to see leaving the outside world outside when people come here, given the other hot topics that are in here.
But that's just me, and I for one am going to ignore any thread I see rules being bent by anyone, Just not feeding the trolls or the drama, thats what will work for me. I will keep my activism for civil rights outside of this forum. :) thats where I do my best work anyways :)

Well said. I know I was involved with some back and forth with "That one guy" in "That one thread" and apologize if I played a role in making anyone's life more difficult. Going forward, I will be thinking of what's best for the forum and try not to get caught up in the bullshizzle. I love our mods!:s0116:

I won't be surprised if these "notification banners" won't act more like a dog whistle for trolls to pile on and get more threads closed, thereby making NWFA "toxic" and causing many to "move on".

The fact of the matter is, NWFA is being targeted.

Rules for Radcals:

Isolate your target and overwhelm them by insisting they live up to their own standards, no one can possibly do that 100% of the time.

I'm not (by any means) saying don't have and enforce forum rules, but the anti-2A's are an insidious lot and will use them against this forum to ultimately shut it down. Please moderate circumspectly before you "pull the trigger" on an issue... that's all I'm askin'.

@Joe Link is a good guy, and he really does care... I don't envy him dealing with some of the insane stupidity he gets presented with.

I agree about following the rules, just not real warm and fuzzy about the solution. Its just how I see it, nothing spiteful or anti-NWFA about it.
I have a hard time trying to see leaving the outside world outside when people come here, given the other hot topics that are in here.
But that's just me, and I for one am going to ignore any thread I see rules being bent by anyone, Just not feeding the trolls or the drama, thats what will work for me. I will keep my activism for civil rights outside of this forum. :) thats where I do my best work anyways :)

I'm a big fan of self-moderation. For the most part, I stay behind the line, but I have come up to the line on occasion, when some topics get a bit heated. Still, it's pretty easy for me to walk away from a thread or a particular member if they're getting on my nerves. My ignore list remains at zero. I like to have the option to see anything I want to see here. I know if it's rubbing me the wrong way, I'll just walk away. I think if more folks did that, the mods here would have virtually nothing to do. And honestly, I wouldn't want to the job of the mods anyway - it's thankless and no matter what you do to try and solve a problem, you pizz somebody off. It's a no-win situation. And I'm thankful they're here to do it. If more folks would work to contain themselves, we'd probably rarely have to see moderation in action.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top