JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think it would help to have some kind of notification on a thread (besides a moderator post) to let a reader/poster know that a thread is having problems with content/etc.

I think that some posters don't see a moderators warning/caution posts until it is too late, or maybe not at all and then the thread is closed. This could easily be due to the position of the post in the thread (previous page) and/or the poster simply doesn't read all posts in the thread and makes a post that just adds fuel to the fire.

Yes, posters probably shouldn't do that - but people sometimes forget themselves in the heat of the moment.

What I suggest is maybe an indicator or a popup when a person posts to a thread that is in that status - something along the lines of "this thread is under warning for content, please think twice about what you post" or something like that before they can click on the "post" button. The same may go for individual posts to a thread.

I must be off my game since I appear to be missing all these controversial threads.

But then...as a veteran of early 2000's flame wars, everything I've see here is pretty darn tame.

Good idea, but might mean some custom code if it can be done.

My favorite saying:

56610968-e1525142663128.jpg

When a manager/et. al. asks me for an estimate and I don't have a clue how long it will take, I say "a bajillion hours".

I must be off my game since I appear to be missing all these controversial threads.

But then...as a veteran of early 2000's flame wars, everything I've see here is pretty darn tame.

Agreed. I've been on forums where almost anything goes except explicit threats and posting personal info (actual name/address/etc.) and it gets pretty messy, but the forum and community goes on regardless.

But everybody has different tolerance levels, and I totally agree that it is all about what the forum owners are willing to tolerate and the atmosphere they wish to have on the forum. Just saying that I think sometimes people don't see the warnings until it is too late.

Even changing the color of some aspect of the thread - maybe the background color - might do it. A slight variation of the theme with a slight modification of the CSS would let people know something was different about this thread/post. Or maybe a bio-hazard background for the page. Just something that can't be missed.

Haha...reminds me of my lead C++ programmer from a few years ago. He says to make your best guess estimate, double it and then double it again...thats how long it will take.

With the code I work on, what we estimate would take one day can take weeks and what we estimate can take weeks might be done in an hour. The code is so horrendous that you never know what will break and the only way to know what is involved is to try doing it.

I keep warning people about this but they never listen, and then they wonder why our projects are over budget and never meet the deadline.

I'm more concerned by a growing common tactic of "brigading" content that certain "types" that are increasingly frequenting these forums want suppressed because it's not conducive to their political agendas (or derangement syndromes)... thus "they" kick up enough of a stink, and the admins shut down a thread because of the hassle.

"Deplatforming" is the goal, and eventually the net on the interwebs gets cast wider and wider. In the "bubblegum" section it's clearly stated that although it's not a "free for all", wear your "big-boy pants" if you want to participate there.... that should be "warning enough" to decock a "snowflake trigger". That "one individual" in particular who was exceedingly abrasive and condescending then declared "himself" the "arbiter of violation" (while committing the very things "he" was decrying) in that rather "lengthy thread" kicked up such a stink that the thread was shut down... "his" end goal.

Although I don't believe the recent announcement by @Joe Link was directed at me because I don't argue with and/or "abuse" the mods (as he mentioned), I employed my usual mocking of progressive schmucks who are banal and inane and lack any sense of humor.

Last Edited:
Let's not turn this into a discussion of why a thread should be warned or closed, I will leave that up to the owner and moderators. Everybody has their own opinion on that.

I am more interested in the how so that it can be more effective and we don't get more closed threads. I enjoyed some of those threads and I was sad to see them closed, sadder yet to know that there probably won't be replacements for them because of that closing. So I want to suggest more effective ways to warn people before they go too far, that they are stepping close to, or over the line - other than a mod making a post that can be missed.

I am too snarky for my own good sometimes, and I have just added fuel to the fire in some threads - I don't think about the snark when I do that, it is a knee jerk response. Then if the thread gets closed I feel bad about it.

There should be a simple add on to allow a sticky post at the top, even free software allows this for Admins.
Having it at the top would obviously be seen.

As far as controversial threads, lol not touching that topic with a ten foot pole, I still will never understand the confusing inter-tangled whats allowed and not in the politic spectrum, because real life is not a cut and paste system. But we want it here ? Oh well I gave my idea there should be a simple add on, or the software should have that built in.

How about a traffic light colored header?
Green=go
Yellow=caution
Red=better stop

I am tired of societies' constant attempts to curtail the natural selection process. If you cant read the warning signs enough to avoid trouble then you should be in trouble. Pay attention, be aware of your surroundings, otherwise face the consequences. If you don't have something nice to say (or type) then shut up (or keep your keyboard to yourself).

We all appreciate a good debate and we've all seen when things get personal and it's not pretty.

It says more about the person throwing the personal barbs than the one on the receiving end IMO.

How about a traffic light colored header?
Green=go
Yellow=caution
Red=better stop

I am tired of societies' constant attempts to curtail the natural selection process. If you cant read the warning signs enough to avoid trouble then you should be in trouble. Pay attention, be aware of your surroundings, otherwise face the consequences. If you don't have something nice to say (or type) then shut up (or keep your keyboard to yourself).

In a perfect, non-human world perhaps :D:p. As the that definition can and is seen on both sides of every topic.
Hence how people get offended and upset, reasoning is often not the first choice by anyone in a forum.

I think the old saying goes "An armed society is a polite society." Except for internet forums...
It does tend to reveal a person's true character. My rule is to always type as though I'm within arms reach of the recipient. I do slip once in a while tho...just ask Mrs308 :oops:

It does tend to reveal a person's true character. My rule is to always type as though I'm within arms reach of the recipient. I do slip once in a while tho...just ask Mrs308 :oops:

See how that works? You know the consequence of your actions, when you forget you get reminded.

I commend you for being a quick learner sir!;)

@The Heretic Joe Link has devised a banner that can be place in threads to warn people if a thread is in imminent danger of being closed. It will show up directly above where you are typing to post in a thread. We are hoping that this will help and alert people of its status. He mentioned it when he sent out his last message to everyone.

@Joe Link can we get the banner placed on this thread so everyone can see what it looks like.

That would be great, and then it would be clear after that who was over the top maybe, but who was trolling as well.
I think in these off threads people are often just looking for a form of validation for how they see things. A visual would be easier and would also not put mods in the position of using language that could set it off and make it worse. I have seen problems, then a mod chimes in and it melts down. This would be much better, probably help the Mods not get so much hate mail as well:p:p

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top