JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Finally picked up my IBC tote this afternoon. Bought it from a local cookie baker - he used a fork lift to load it in my old 2500 straight out of the bakery, so it's still perfectly clean. He goes through about one a month, so I'll likely get a few more.I'll get a tarp on it tonight to keep it that way while I make preps to get it to my back yard.

upload_2018-6-10_15-37-11.png

Got a sense of how much water is really needed to support my family in an emergency. We spent 4 days in Salem, just back today. While we were there, we were supplying our own drinking water. We did use the water from the tap for bathing, etc. But anything going into our mouths - brushing teeth, drinking, etc., we used bottled water. From Friday afternoon through late this afternoon, we went through 31 bottles of water. I also had (2) 2.5 gallon jugs for washing, brushing, etc.

Still, 31 bottles for just about 4 days, that is a lot of water, in terms of space and weight, especially if you have to store it, or worse, transport it. Now, we were active outdoors for 2 of those days and weren't trying to conserve, but for the first time I really got to get a good look at what 3 people can consume in H2O in a short period of time. It really adds up quickly. It will probably help me reconsider how much water I keep on hand for emergencies, as well as how I store it.

Very interesting chance to get a good look at something like this.

Better to have too much than not enough. That's why I pretty much double the recommended amount per day and plan for the first week to be double that.

OK so i have 5 / 55 gal water storage

Question how often do i need to add bleach and how much

to kill bacteria

I did some research online just recently. Seems the typical use for bleach is 1/4 tsp per gallon (that's about 3 tbsp for a 55 gallon container). As for storage, they suggest rotating your water every 6 months. If you want to keep it longer (up to 5 years), you can use a water preserver. They are available in sizes to treat 55 gallon barrels. You can find them all over the net, including on Amazon. Bleach apparently doesn't give you long term storage, so plan to rotate the supply regularly.

Here is just one link on the subject: Water Storage - All About Long Term Water Storage

Here is a link to one preserver in the size to treat 1 55 gal drum for 5 years: https://smile.amazon.com/Preserver-...qid=1528920511&sr=8-14&keywords=water+storage

Just talked to the folks at Agri-Fab about their lawn roller. They said it is made of polypropylene. Which is rated food safe and should therefore be OK for water transport or perhaps even storage, according to a couple of websites that rate plastics for food safety. Likely after a good cleaning and soaking to remove manufacturing residues. Polyethylene would be a better choice for food use.

The aforementioned Water Hippo would be the perfect item, and would work well as a lawn roller too. Unfortunately, el Hippo is made in South Africa, primarily as a water transport improvement tool for rural villagers, (perhaps like TEOTWAWKI scenarios) rather than hand or head carrying buckets. However the shipping getting them to the U.S. in less than container loads would make them quite expensive. 1 Roller @ $125.00 + Air:$210 or a 20' container:$40-$50(200units) or a 40' container:$25-$35 (450units) Little to no discount for bulk purchase 2.5% @ 200, 5% @ 450

Check out the Hippo website <Hippo Roller> it's instructive. We have it pretty good here, even on a bad day. So far.

I suggested to the good folks at Agri-Fab that they alter the design of their lawn roller and sell to the prepper market as well. The redesigned item could do double duty. There was some interest, but who knows....

Or, anyone paying attention, with a roto-molding setup could add a new product line to their factory lineup. Can't see how they wouldn't sell. Anyone?

So I wanted to post pictures here before but I didn't have the picture on my phone so today I went out to my sister's house and took some pictures of there rain Run off tanks .
They have two and they are huge.
Collect rain from there roof . they have metal roof so not really getting contaminated from that also screen over the opening anyway here they are.im 6ft tall they are probly 8 or 10 IMG_20180626_134042.jpg MVIMG_20180626_134000.jpg

We have a few big crab cookers so we could boil probably 10 gal at a time then treat it with water treatment after boiling .my brother in-law has fresh water tanks on his fishing boats .
That he treats when he fills them at the dock .so there is that stuff

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads