JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Painting them, or covering them to block sunlight will also help reduce algae growth.

That's a great point. I plan on temporarily covering mine with a tarp, but eventually I'll have six with a "shed" built around them to protect them from the elements and also to keep them from being an eyesore. There will be an aisle down the middle to access the valves. I'll empty one each year watering the garden to keep rotating fresh water.

The totes are also great for making water efficient raised beds:

And an improved version of them here: New wicking bed

Late yesterday Wilsonville posted an alert about algae bloom contamination. They get their water from the Willamette so are downstream from the bloom that had been entering the Willamette via the Santiam. I'm hoping this does not lead to a panic from those whose water supply is not affected to make sure it's available to those who are.

I've heard that this could take weeks and months to clear in Salem, but I've also heard it's supposed to be for just a few days. Does anybody have the skinny on this?

We're curious about this too - we're heading down to Salem next weekend and want to know if we should plan for our own drinking water while we're down there. Probably the safest thing to do regardless.

We're curious about this too - we're heading down to Salem next weekend and want to know if we should plan for our own drinking water while we're down there. Probably the safest thing to do regardless.

If you don't drink it you can always add it to the water you already store for emergencies. Better yet, take some of that water and replace it with new water.

Hello all!

Given the current issue in Salem, I think now is a prudent time to review and discuss our water stockpiles and the best method to store it.

So two questions:

How much water per person per day?
I am thinking washing dishes and sponge baths for the dog and people, etc.

How do you store this water? Totes, pond, gallon jugs, bottles?

I have 10000 gallons of catchment with a whole house filter including uv.
I really would like to have an additional 5000 gallon bladder under the house that no one knows about.
I am not sure of the laws in each of your states but there are some pretty crazy ones out there.
I have heard, but don't know for sure, that Colorado does not allow catchment.
Here in Texas, you can catch all you want "in your cup" in other words, you can use catchment but if the water hits the ground, it is now property of the Lower Colorado River Authority.
You should always be aware of the rules in your state and hide reserves if possible.

I just saw this subject on my weekly update, so I'm real late to the party. I haven't read all five pages, so I apologize in advance if my answer is already here.
The most fun way to store non-potable water is definitely a hot tub / Spa. The best use for 250-500 gallons of water Ive ever had! You can even check the trim of your radio-controlled floatplane in it. :)
P4260006.JPG

I too went with 55 gallon water barrels at $105. With the stabilizer drops they come with the water should last 5 to even 10 years. Plus, remember in real dire circumstances your water heaters will have considerable water to use. We have 50 and 75 gallon water heaters at our house, so there is another 100+ gallons available if absolutely needed. Doesn't deal with Salem type shortages but its there for SHTF times.

I also just bought two sets of 4, 5 gallon water jugs, that are stackable and store easily from the ReadyStore to give to my kids so they can have access to water (20 gallons each) should the "big one" hit. This, plus your water heaters should be enough to get by for two weeks to a month depending on use and the number of folks in your house.

I just saw this subject on my weekly update, so I'm real late to the party. I haven't read all five pages, so I apologize in advance if my answer is already here.
The most fun way to store non-potable water is definitely a hot tub / Spa. The best use for 250-500 gallons of water Ive ever had! You can even check the trim of your radio-controlled floatplane in it. :)
View attachment 466219
Owning a hot tub sure has its benefits lol. An extra 205 gallons just chilling in the backyard.

Nice flyer! I dig RCs but I've always stuck to those that operate on the surface.

I pick up my bargain 330 gal food grade IBC tote this weekend. I have to widen the gate to my back yard by 6" to get it through, but was planning on that anyway as the gate is about ready to fall apart. It will be full of water and pool shock while the new post sets up.

Two words: Berkey Filter.
I have used one now for 2 years at home because I don't want to drink chlorine and flouride. I take it with me to a place I stay in the Texas desert in winter where my water supply is catchment only, so has bird poop in it and whatever blows around in the desert dust. It works great....check out their specs, it removes just about anything under the sun that can be harmful in drinking water.
Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification

Two words: Berkey Filter.
I have used one now for 2 years at home because I don't want to drink chlorine and flouride. I take it with me to a place I stay in the Texas desert in winter where my water supply is catchment only, so has bird poop in it and whatever blows around in the desert dust. It works great....check out their specs, it removes just about anything under the sun that can be harmful in drinking water.
Berkey Water Filter Systems - World Leader in Portable Water Purification

Safecastle (Water › Berkey) has good prices on them and at least once a month seems to have a 25% off sale. I saved enough to buy 4 of the black filters instead of just the two I had budgeted.

Thanks for the Safecastle notification....I had not heard of them.
Yes, the black filters are the way to go. Here's a little video that explains the difference between the two they make:

I found a guy on Craigs list who sell food grade 55gallon Plistic drums for 10.00 each and picked up 5 of them and one 55gallon drum with removable top lid for dry dog food storage , I am working on other things to have some solar panels that will run a radio and LED bulbs

[QUOTE="
If you live near a water source, like a pond. Consider a water roller. Like this hippo roller. For transportation of h2o in the case it becomes hard or impossible to do so otherwise.

Hippo Roller[/QUOTE]

The Hippo Roller is a great idea! Have one? Have a U.S. source? Shipping from South Africa would be a bit steep.

The Hippo Roller is a great idea! Have one? Have a U.S. source? Shipping from South Africa would be a bit steep.

You can find something like this close to home in the form of a "lawn roller" - basically the same thing, a drum you fill with water tied to a handle. My grandfather had one 40 years ago. Definitely old tech, although his was a metal drum. Quick search online looks to be around $100.

Last Edited:
You can find something like this close to home in the form of a "lawn roller" - basically the same thing, a drum you fill with water tied to a handle. My grandfather had one 40 years ago. Definitely old tech, although his was a metal drum. Quick search online looks to be around $100.

What kind of plastic is the barrel made from?

Agri-Fab 18" x 24" Poly Push/Tow Lawn Roller 45-0267

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top