JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Having the in-tub bladders is an excellent option. Keep it in your cabinet and deploy it as soon as safely possible.

Other options... 30-50 gallon, used, food grade barrels can be had at a reasonable price. I've used them and built workbenches, etc around them... You can store 165 gallons very easily with this method. Securely stored and not in the way.

Ive known guys who had buried the barrels in the yard... Of course trapping rain water is easy too.

I like to keep a supply of bottled water on hand strictly for drinking. Larger water storage is reserved for cleaning and flushing.

You will only be limited by your space... and maybe your imagination... Barrels are fairly inexpensive if you buy used ones.

Thanks for all the replies!

Repeating myself a little here...but kinda thinking outloud.
So I think I want to plan for 5 gal/day for the wife, dog and I.

Costs about $130 for the Costco 2.5 gallons. For 4 months.

We have about 5 weeks of food now, and planning on buying a 3 month supply once we move. So that would give us around 4 months of food and water, which is OK I guess.

I guess my only concern is stacking that many of the flimsy 2.5 g containers. I guess I can build some shelves, and store some in the shed, garage, and crawl space. Might supplement with 1 55 gal costco drum.
Don't set them directly on concrete that is not indoors. When concrete gets hot, it can cause the containers to leach and will make the water taste bad. Even indoors, set them across 2 x 4's or even on an old pallet.

Up until last year I had a pool out back with clean/ish water to filter, but have dropped the ball pretty low since then.

This has been a great thread and has helped me prioritize my stocking needs much better then - I'll buy some next time I think about it.

Same here. Always a good reminder to work on disaster plans - particularly those you may not think about, such as contamination of the local water supply. Our supply comes from a fairly clean river source, one that should be swift moving enough to avoid algae blooms, but there could certainly be other contaminants that could work their way in. We keep several LifeStraws as well as the LifeStraw family size filters on hand. I'd like to add something like the Big Berkey down the road as well. As for water storage, currently we have no large storage, though I do have several cases of bottled water and some 1 gallon sizes too. I've been looking at larger storage containers, just need to pull the trigger and do it. I'm thinking of adding some rainwater collection barrels for backup water to be used mostly for non-drinking purposes - though we can filter, if needed.

I have a bunch of sawyer squeeze filters. I think I would prefer a sawyer gravity setup + carbon filter for home use, or the Berkley.

+100 on the Berkey. I know they aren't cheap but they are the best and well worth it. I've had one since the 90's. We keep lifestraws in the BOB's as well. You can build your own Berkey using their filters and a couple of 5 gal buckets and a plastic spigot. Buckets aren't as nice as the SS Berkey but can and do work.

I guess my only concern is stacking that many of the flimsy 2.5 g containers. I guess I can build some shelves, and store some in the shed, garage, and crawl space. Might supplement with 1 55 gal costco drum.

4'x2'x5' shelving units are 80 bucks at Sam's. I'm sure Costco has similar. Compare that to what materials cost for building your own out of 2x4s and plywood. By checking around job sites you could probably scrounge up enough of the 2x4s for free. I've done this several times in the past. They always have a pile or dumpster of their scrap.

I'm thinking of adding some rainwater collection barrels for backup water to be used mostly for non-drinking purposes - though we can filter, if needed.

I have two totes setting on an old trailer down at my chicken pen. Gutters collect the rain coming off the roof and dump into a home made filter and into the tote. The pin is in a back section of woods on our property so running power/water isn't practical. This way I don't have to haul water to them-at lest very often. When I do I just disconnect some PVC and hook up to the trailer and take it to the well to fill.

Remember too that your hot water heater is available as well. I clean it every year by shutting the gas off, closing the water inlet to the heater, letting the water cool down and draining it. Then open the hot water in the laundry room and turn on the water inlet again and wait for the heater the refill by seeing a steady stream of water flowing in the laundry room sink. Turn off the facet and relight the pilot light.

They make attachments what you put on your water heater so you can filter the water. I have no experience with these filters.

Emergency Water Filters | USA Emergency Supply

Last Edited:
Remember too that your hot water heater is available as well. I clean it every year by shutting the gas off, closing the water inlet to the heater, letting the water cool down and draining it. Then open the hot water in the laundry room and turn on the water inlet again and wait for the heater the refill by seeing a steady stream of water flowing in the laundry room sink. Turn of the facet and relight the pilot light.

They make attachments what you put on your water heater so you can filter the water. I have no experience with these filters.

Emergency Water Filters | USA Emergency Supply

That annual maintenance pays off and not something most people even know about. I'm going to try those filters out during my next maintenance to see how well the adapters, etc. work.

Also just found a clean food grade 330 gallon IBC tote locally about a mile away for less than a 55 gallon barrel. A little cleaning and some pool shock and I'm in business.

...4'x2'x5' shelving units are 80 bucks at Sam's. I'm sure Costco has similar. Compare that to what materials cost for building your own out of 2x4s and plywood. By checking around job sites you could probably scrounge up enough of the 2x4s for free. I've done this several times in the past. They always have a pile or dumpster of their scrap.

Can also use cinder blocks for shelving needs. Super sturdy with 3 2x4's as each shelf. Pretty cheap round 1$ per block. 1 shelving unit I used 6 per side. Might go up 1 more at the new house.

Can also use cinder blocks for shelving needs. Super sturdy with 3 2x4's as each shelf. Pretty cheap round 1$ per block. 1 shelving unit I used 6 per side. Might go up 1 more at the new house.

2x4's screwed together at a 90 degree angle (looking at the bottom it would look like a T) would support the ends for cheap and possibly hold up to an earthquake better then blocks unless you are bonding them together.

Also, shelves with the 4" side up and down will be way stronger then laying them flat.

Late yesterday Wilsonville posted an alert about algae bloom contamination. They get their water from the Willamette so are downstream from the bloom that had been entering the Willamette via the Santiam. I'm hoping this does not lead to a panic from those whose water supply is not affected to make sure it's available to those who are.

I've heard that this could take weeks and months to clear in Salem, but I've also heard it's supposed to be for just a few days. Does anybody have the skinny on this?

That annual maintenance pays off and not something most people even know about. I'm going to try those filters out during my next maintenance to see how well the adapters, etc. work.

Also just found a clean food grade 330 gallon IBC tote locally about a mile away for less than a 55 gallon barrel. A little cleaning and some pool shock and I'm in business.

Unfortunately after over 20 years of use my water heater started leaking a few weeks ago and so I had to have it replaced. Not sure when it started leaking since there was a bit of mold growing on the wall behind the water heater. I turned the water inlet off which took care of the leaking water heater. After the hot water cooled down I hooked up a garden hose and I drained it.

Late yesterday Wilsonville posted an alert about algae bloom contamination. They get their water from the Willamette so are downstream from the bloom that had been entering the Willamette via the Santiam. I'm hoping this does not lead to a panic from those whose water supply is not affected to make sure it's available to those who are.

I've heard that this could take weeks and months to clear in Salem, but I've also heard it's supposed to be for just a few days. Does anybody have the skinny on this?

Yeah this has the potential to turn stupid. I am resisting buying water when I don't need it!

Just be sure you add some bleach to you water. Here is a helpful guide:

Bleach - Water Ratio For Drinking Water

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews