JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this is probably to vague a question, but I'll ask anyways.

I have a utility room (water heater, furnace, sump pump) that opens under stairs providing storage. I'm interested in trying to use that space for food supply storage.

Any particular reason I shouldn't use it (maybe related to proximity of furnace etc.)?

And assuming not, can somebody recommend some sort of ideas for shelving or something to maximize the space under the staircase?

Thanks in advance.

Couple photos for visuals

20220529_151042.jpg 20220529_151034.jpg

What's the average temp in there? Would proximity to the furnace cause it to be warmer than the "cool dry place" everybody recommends for... everything?

And just for grins, as long as pets won't venture in there, maybe set a mousetrap.

Why not build a rolling rack that fits under the stairs and can be pulled out for access??
Our house has a staircase backed up to the kitchen wall and my intention is to make drawers that open into the kitchen for under the steps.

What's the average temp in there? Would proximity to the furnace cause it to be warmer than the "cool dry place" everybody recommends for... everything?

And just for grins, as long as pets won't venture in there, maybe set a mousetrap.
Good point on temp. I ordered a couple room thermometers to monitor and get a better idea what is like. The only exterior wall is about 45 inches underground. Sump pump discharge pipe is at 52 inches. There are no windows and no hvac vents in the room, still feels pretty cool when walking in today (have not paid much attention though before today, but I do know it hasn't ever felt uncomfortable hot or cold when I've walked in before)

Why not build a rolling rack that fits under the stairs and can be pulled out for access??
Our house has a staircase backed up to the kitchen wall and my intention is to make drawers that open into the kitchen for under the steps.
I was thinking maybe some sort of gravity fed can organizers. Add new to the top, pull from bottom. FIFO.

Pull out racks is an interesting idea as well

Good point on temp. I ordered a couple room thermometers to monitor and get a better idea what is like. The only exterior wall is about 45 inches underground. Sump pump discharge pipe is at 52 inches. There are no windows and no hvac vents in the room, still feels pretty cool when walking in today (have not paid much attention though before today, but I do know it hasn't ever felt uncomfortable hot or cold when I've walked in before)

I was thinking maybe some sort of gravity fed can organizers. Add new to the top, pull from bottom. FIFO.

Pull out racks is an interesting idea as well
As mentioned as long as its not noticeably hot in there looks like great place to set up storage to me. When you get something set up you like share some shots of it. Would be great for others who have a space like that and want to use it. :D

Temp and humidity would be the two main factors. I'd use some soft of tape on the floor to mark clearance to/for utilities. Same if there is an electrical panel in the room. Encroach on that and have a fire you might have a hard time getting insurance to pay out.

I like the rolling shelf idea. Make sure you mark and rotate food.

May want to monitor the humidity, also insure that you have a working fire detector in there.

Humidity test strips These are similar to the ones I use to monitor moisture sensitive items and supplies. Not necessarily recommending the ones linked, just the first that the duck provided in a search.

I ordered a set of 2 of these things

No electrical panel in this room. Oddly, it's in the bedroom next door. The water main is in it though. Only other things are the cable box and the home audio system rack. I still need to reorganize a bit, just added a battery backup sump pump and want to have a 2nd battery ... maybe a bit paranoid, but I've never had a sump pump before. None of that stuff is under the stairs though

If it's in close proximity to your water heater and sump pump, check humidity and temp levels regularly and store your items off of the ground if possible - if your water heater blows, you don't want your prep gear getting soaked. A rolling cart would be ideal for the cramped quarters, but shelving that puts your items a few inches off the ground is also an option. I personally wouldn't store guns or ammo there, but sealed / airtight plastic containers with food, water, and other supplies should be fine.

I reload in the closet "under the stairs".
To use the angled space, I bought a bunch of small/large Harbor Freight furniture dollies when on sale and put totes on them.
One tote on the dollies furthest under, then two totes on the next row of dollies, and so on.
I strip the carpet off them and screw down a piece of OSB, cut to fit, into the hole in the middle to make a solid platform.
I drill a big hole in the short side, so I can hook it and roll it out/in, rather than crawling in there.
jmo,

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews