JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Speaking of water. Why....was I suddenly getting the urge to watch this?

Maybe because, I suddenly got this image of the military bringing water to Salem?

Aloha, Mark

I might have missed it, did anyone mention water weighs 8 pounds to the gallon? Might want to think out your storage.. Will a waterbed fit in your plan? Myself I store what I will need that fits the activity I plan. More activity takes more water. I only store drinking water, in my area there is no sense storing water that will be used for waste water. Oregon has lots of rain and all you have to do is learn how to catch it.:D

My small above ground pool (15 foot round by 3 ft deep) holds 530 cubic feet of water.
One cu ft = 7.5 gallons approx.
So that works out to almost 4000 gallons give or take a belly flop or two.

good thing nobody pees in it and you keep it covered so there isn't a bug or two floating around :eek:
You need a Berkey...

good thing nobody pees in it and you keep it covered so there isn't a bug or two floating around

You are actually correct on both counts. And now I will have to think twice about extending you an invitation to my next pool party.:p

I have a very much overkill 3/4 hp sand filter and a cover for it. And if it really did hit the fan, a bug or two would be welcome protein. ;)

Wow. That is serious. I need friends like that!

Not hard to build. 1/2 a Saturday probably. Most expensive part is the barrels depending on local cost. 6-9 barrels, that's roughly 330-495 gals. Shoot the middle and say 413 gals. For a family of 4 @2 gals a day is roughly what 45-50 day supply? Maybe more if you don't like your kids so much:D

As mentioned above, sanitation can be covered pretty quickly and easily with buckets & trash bags. Military surplus "wag bags" are also an option, they have a silica gel in them so liquids turn more solid. Easier disposal. Think we still have about a case (100+) of wag bags around.

So then you don't have to waste time/resources/hauling on flushing.

A regular type toilet seat is made that clips onto a standard 5 gal bucket as well. Handy for regular dry camping too.

Cat litter, sawdust etc cuts down on odors, if going the bucket route.

Then you only need sanitation water for sponge type baths, and dishes. Which really isn't that much at all, if your careful. Use isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle too, for better personal hygiene, in addition to sponge baths.

• What happens when close relatives who are also out of water show up?
  • What happens when you see your neighbors and friends suffer from lack of water?

I suppose that's about the time I stroll over to the solar powered shed that's our extended pantry and fill my glass with ice from the ice maker, grab a cold coke and the Capt. Morgan and mix myself a drink. Then I should probably check those steaks that are on the grill. "Oh hi neighbor, I forgot you were there. You may go now.."
That is of course if they didn't set off the defensive measures along the outer fence and gate;)

One water saver is a case or two of unscented baby wipes from the Costco. If they could clean my kids butts back in the day they can clean anything.

As mentioned above, sanitation can be covered pretty quickly and easily with buckets & trash bags. Military surplus "wag bags" are also an option, they have a silica gel in them so liquids turn more solid. Easier disposal. Think we still have about a case (100+) of wag bags around.

So then you don't have to waste time/resources/hauling on flushing.

A regular type toilet seat is made that clips onto a standard 5 gal bucket as well. Handy for regular dry camping too.

Cat litter, sawdust etc cuts down on odors, if going the bucket route.

Then you only need sanitation water for sponge type baths, and dishes. Which really isn't that much at all, if your careful. Use isopropyl alcohol in a spray bottle too, for better personal hygiene, in addition to sponge baths.
Necessity is the mother of invention. Jed Clampett livin'.

Pool noodle bucket.jpg

So after following link after link, all of the .gov and prep sites seem to recomend an average of 1 gallon per person/dog per day with a minimum of that being 2 quarts drank per day to stay hydrated.

So I think I'm going to keep at my 5 gallons per day for 3 of us and a dog.

If I'm outside working all day I can go through 1/2 a case a day. Not trying to tell ya what to do, but your figures seem awful short to me.
I figure it is a good start for storing bottled water. Roughly 1-2 bottles per person per day. Or 16-32oz.

I would consider water bottles a drinking only source.

If this is your only source, yes, you may want to keep more.

I figure a lot of things into my water needs during survival situations. Including filtering devices, my water heater, my hot tub. Water bobs, water bricks. The pond down the street, etc.

In my house, the water bottles would simply be a convenience while they last.

So after following link after link, all of the .gov and prep sites seem to recomend an average of 1 gallon per person/dog per day with a minimum of that being 2 quarts drank per day to stay hydrated.

So I think I'm going to keep at my 5 gallons per day for 3 of us and a dog.

About a gallon per person per day consumed is about rite. More if hot/working, a bit less if not. If it's cold out and your working hard, still need to hydrate, easiest way to get dehydrated that.

That's # is not including any extra for anything else (hygiene etc).

Mind, that it can be reduced quite a bit depending what else you have to eat/drink available.

WAIT WAIT this worring about how much water per day has me confused. First I need to know the basic's

HOW MUCH BEER DO YOU HAVE ON HAND?
Usually a 1/6 barrel. Hopefully SHTF after I just replaced it so it's full.

I'll jimmy rig an inverter and some car batteries to keep it cold.

Thanks for all the replies!

Repeating myself a little here...but kinda thinking outloud.
So I think I want to plan for 5 gal/day for the wife, dog and I.

Costs about $130 for the Costco 2.5 gallons. For 4 months.

We have about 5 weeks of food now, and planning on buying a 3 month supply once we move. So that would give us around 4 months of food and water, which is OK I guess.

I guess my only concern is stacking that many of the flimsy 2.5 g containers. I guess I can build some shelves, and store some in the shed, garage, and crawl space. Might supplement with 1 55 gal costco drum.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top