JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
.22 Cal one is done.
Total cost including stamp: $395

9", 6 baffles, 12.3oz
First baffle is stainless, remainder aluminum

40279751-F094-4661-AAB8-F0FCC015F22C.png

.30 cal one is not done.

Total cost including stamp:$485

9 baffles, all stainless (may swap some with aluminum before drilling and discard remainder).
Weight: 28oz.

A8DCB076-8C6E-4F8A-A1CC-E03EEBC0E02C.jpeg

.30 cal one is not done.

Total cost including stamp:$485

9 baffles, all stainless (may swap some with aluminum before drilling and discard remainder).
Weight: 28oz.

View attachment 478820

This is where Negative Nancy comes in and says it is not legal to build more baffles and replace the ones you have already built even if you do not like them .

Public service announcement over.

Actually, I have every thing made, just need to fit it all together for each unit, making adjustments as needed! The ATF inspection happens after completion, and that happens just before my year runs out, 10 months from now! So, I got some time!
For those looking to go this route, make sure you ether know the type of system your going to run, or have enough time to design and test it out, once your done, your done! The ATF agent I delt with last time was super cool to deal with, and he signed off with out any problems!

Actually, I have every thing made, just need to fit it all together for each unit, making adjustments as needed! The ATF inspection happens after completion, and that happens just before my year runs out, 10 months from now! So, I got some time!
For those looking to go this route, make sure you ether know the type of system your going to run, or have enough time to design and test it out, once your done, your done! The ATF agent I delt with last time was super cool to deal with, and he signed off with out any problems!

I just have to ask - what resources are there to build your own suppressors? Are there kits? Do you just buy components and cut them out yourself? Patterns to follow? I've never looked into this, but seeing threads like this make me think I may be missing out on something, though I don't even know where to start, save for the Form 1.

Honestly, unless you have a lathe and or access to a mill and a bunch of other tools you may need, it is not something that can be done easiely at home! I know of some "Oil filter kits" and solvent traps that are pretty good and can be completed with just a drill press and a a few hand tools!

ATF Inspection? What? There's no ATF inspection of any Form 1 silencer. There is no test and tune time allotted. Once its built ...its built. What have they been telling you? Seriously, thats not how form 1 cans work.

@Dyjital did you use manufactured parts? I know there are places out there selling parts that you can purchase once you have received your stamps.

@Dyjital did you use manufactured parts? I know there are places out there selling parts that you can purchase once you have received your stamps.

Thats not legal either. Silencer parts are considered silencers unto themselves since 1982. Sure you can buy freeze plugs or "storage cups" or other "sort of silencer parts" and make them into silencer parts by completing the drilling etc ( and their legality is questionable at best ) but you cannot buy baffles and end caps that are finished parts. You cannot send a Form 1 tube to someone ( a manufacturer ) and have them finish it for you either. You can finish a silencer then send it to an 02/07 and have them replace the baffles and end caps but it had to have baffles and end caps to begin with. You cannot legally change the baffles and end caps you built yourself . There is no trial period. There is no ATF inspection either.

Former 02/07 SOT and I know the National Firearms Act like the back of my hand. Ive never even heard anyone say the ATF was going to come inspect their Form 1 silencer before today. Its not a thing.

I meant stuff like prethreaded tubes and end caps. There are many online retailers selling steel and titanium tubes for this type of stuff. I'm curious if he purchased these type of components or manufactured everything himself.

His 22 can looks like a common maglite tube and end cap I've seen on the web.

I'll wait to hear back from him.

They do inspect, and it can be random at any time, its happend! How do you think they insure compliance? If they didn't, you could change and adjust every day and they wouldn't ever know, RIGHT, so they inspect! If you havnt been inspected, lucky you!

They do inspect, and it can be random at any time, its happend! How do you think they insure compliance? If they didn't, you could change and adjust every day and they wouldn't ever know, RIGHT, so they inspect! If you havnt been inspected, lucky you!

File that under the belief system category of "Myths of the NFA". Its not true. No random inpections, no compliance checks on Form 1's of any sort. In 25 years of building and buying silencers ( and other NFA ) as a licensed 02/07 manufacturer and Joe off the street building them on a form 1 I have never once heard of anyone outside of a licensed dealer/manufacturer having a compliance check and certainly not on a form 1 build. If you have a field agent telling you this stuff you need to have your lawyer ask for the black letter law that they are basing that "inspection" on. Its not there.

What can happen and does happen is say you get pulled over for speeding. Officer friendly spots something in your backpack. Its a form 1 can. You show him your paperwork but the length is wrong and it looks fishy to them. He calls the ATF agent who comes down ( while you stew in county lockup ) and reads you the riot act. There is NEVER...EVER...a random compliance check...EVER on Form 1 cans !!! They do not come to your home to see your hardware. You dont have to take it to the field office. None of the above. You get your stamp and its up to you to comply with what is on the Form 1.

And once again ...There is NEVER , EVER a situation where you have a trial period to figure out what baffle configuration you like best before you have to finalize your build. Doing stuff like that can end you up in club fed.

People PLEASE .... learn the law before you build. Research the beJesus out of it. Don't just forge ahead and do questionable stuff because you heard it somewhere. Talk to people who know what theyre doing both legally and machine work wise before you start. Join over at Silencertalk.com . Its slowed down a lot in the last 10 years but theres still a wealth of information to glean. Read USC18XXX. Memorize the damn thing. Look at the ATF rulings on NFA devices.

Last Edited:
This is where Negative Nancy comes in and says it is not legal to build more baffles and replace the ones you have already built even if you do not like them .

Public service announcement over.

No laws were broken in the making of the cans. No lines were crossed. All parts were used and no parts were made extra.

Went with 3 aluminum and 6 stainless.

That's how it rolls. Still kinda on the heavy side but with a heavy barrel it shouldn't be too bad.

As he IS the manufacturer, I see no reason he can't repair and upgrade the can later on just like any manufacturer already does. Do you have a specificly reference law or directive from BATFE that says he can't every repair or upgrade it?

He is not a "manufacturer". He is a "maker" . BIG distinction between the two. A "manufacturer" is an 02/07 SOT FFL designation. A "Maker" is the builder of a form 1 device. When the ATF say "manufacturer" they are talking about an SOT Not a form 1 filer.

ATF Answers the questions on Suppressor Repair

FWIW an SOT is a "Special Occupational Taxpayer". Build less than a $half mil of product per year and you pay a flat tax of $500 ( theres other stuff involved too ) and do not need to file form 1's. You become a "manufacturer" and are able to do things like build silencers, post sample machine guns , repair silencers etc without paying the $200 per item tax. Each individual part of a silencer i.e. baffles, tubes and to an extent end caps are considered silencers unto themselves according to a 1982 ATF decision. Manufacturers can build those pieces and repair silencers but if you as a "maker" build one of those items its the same as building a unique silencer even if you are repairing a previously built silencer you "made" on a form 1..

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top